“First impression, last impression!”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Milan City
Ranked #52 of 428 Hotels in Milan
Athens, Greece
“First impression, last impression!”
Reviewed 28 February 2014

I visit Milano 1 or 2 times per year for business reasons. I always stay in the same hotel in Piazza Duomo but this time was fully booked. I booked in CP Milan City. I rarely stay in international branded hotels. Most of them are impersonal, boring, not flexible, not inspiring. One of the things that matters most in hospitality is the first and last impression that leaves a hotel to its guests. I will describe my last impression first. I am standing on the reception desk waiting for my luggage, after checking out. The receptionist is alone at that moment and the phone rings. Guest on the other line is asking for an upgrade as he has an IHG Rewards Club Card. Receptionist explains that an upgrade may be offered upon availability on the day of arrival and that his membership card doesn't guarantee this benefit. Guest insists. Another line is ringing. Receptionist puts guest on hold saying "hold on a minute sir, I am alone and there is slavery in this country" !!! Then just before he answers the second line he swears to the guest on hold "c...o tua madre". I do not speak Italian but I crearly understood this phrase. Commonly used in San Siro stadium during a match of Milan or Inter. I don't know if I need to comment more on this. The card of the GM was in my room. I have his e-mail. The only reason I am not sending the name, the time and the date to the GM is because I think that 14% unemployment is enough for Italia. In addition, I come from a country with 27% unemployment with destroyed labor relations and Banghladeshi salaries putting lots of pressure in the back of the staff in any sector of the market. First impression was the night sleep as I arrived quite late. There is the so called "sleep advantage" of CP. Luxurious bedding - true. Aromatherapy kit - true. Quite zones - false. Housekeeping activities after 10.00am - false. Rooms are absolutely no soundproof. Dragging of furnitures from next door, heavy steps from above, toilet flashes, elevator mechanism, vacuum cleaners, you could hear everything. Breakfast buffet is OK although some slices of toast bread are stale (probably surplus from previous days), room size just fine, very clean, bathroom spacious. Cleaning ladies and restaurant staff full of smiles. Iron and ironing board standard equipment (useful for corporate travelers). In general, unfortunately I can't say that the particular property deserves an IHG brand.

Room Tip: Upper floors, not next to the elevators!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank david_villa78
Pellegrini_Luciano, Direttore at Crowne Plaza Hotel Milan City, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Dear Mr Villa

I woud first of all like to thank you for finding the time to write about your stay at our hotel, and to say how sorry I am to read your comments.

Although many International Hotel Brands may give the impression you describe in your message, we, at IHG, tend to pride ourselves that with rigourous training programmes and careful selection of staff, feel that we have managed to be more inspiring, flexible, personal and least of all, boring, than most hotels in Milan. I am so sorry that you did not get this impression during your stay with us.

Your description of your experience at check out will be investigated immedately as it would seem that there is a training gap between the level of service we normally offer and that which you experienced at check out. Just for the record, slavery is prohibited in Italy and we always have at least 2 members of staff on duty at reception for every shift. We will look into what happened in order to find out why there was only one person when you came to check out.

I must apologise as well for the noise from the vacuum cleaners at 10am in the morning. I am sure you appreciate that the rooms and corridors need to be cleaned at some time during the day but we pay particular care when cleaning close to bedrooms where the “do not disturb” sign has been hung on the door knob. We apologise for ruining your night’s sleep at 10am.

Finally, I would like to thank you for your detailed description of what you found positive and apologise once more that you were so negatively influenced by your check out.
Seeing as you are a regular visitor to Milan, I would greatly appreciate the opportunity of making up for the short comings of your last stay with us and to show you that the level of service at the Crowne Plaza Milan City is comparable to even the best hotels in Piazza Duomo.

Thank you once again for your comment and I look forward to welcoming you back some time in the near future.

Best regards

Luciano Pellegrini

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 26 February 2014

We arrived from Venice at the Centrale Train station and it was just a 5 mins walk from the station to Crowne.

Crowne also has a metro station right downstairs that takes you to all major tourists attractions within a few stops in under 15 to 30 mins. Buy a Metro 2 or 3 days pass and that will take care of all your transportation needs in Milan.

The train station downstairs also took us to Garibaldi in under 20 mins for our train ride to Paris.

Jemme & Karen
Singapore

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Battman67
Duluth, Georgia
Reviewed 24 February 2014

My and my boufriend stayed here for New years (which turned out not to be so great.)

The hotel was a good choice, quality in the rooms and finishes around the hotel. The staff was nothing to write home about but we did have a wonderful bartender that served us nightly. He was excellent. The room was on a high floor which was nice. It is a LONG walk to the city center, so I suggest looking elsewhere if you expect to walk somewhere.

Room Tip: high floor and facing city center direction
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alex K
Northville, United States
Reviewed 23 February 2014

The staff was wonderful... The room were very comfortable, decorated nicely, with modern conveniences. The service all around was excellent. Try to get a room facing the courtyard and not the street. The access to the metro was perfect and easy to get to anything in the city

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Joseph F
Belo Horizonte, MG
Reviewed 6 February 2014

I was driving to Milan and spent one night in the city before returning my rental car at the airport the next day, so adequate parking was a must for me.

I made a last minute reservation and the deciding factor was the reasonable parking rate (10 Euros a day) for Milan. The hotel isn't in the most charming area of town but is central enough without being in the old center, which can be a nightmare to drive into. Anyway, there's a metro station right by the hotel main door, so getting around the city is easy.

The room was neither big nor small, but of OK size. The decor is "contemporary-with-a-dash-of-tacky", but nothing to put me off. The hardwood floor seems a good idea but as it was in less than optimal condition it made the room feel just so slightly run down. The proper closet with a good sized minibar was a nice break from the trend I've found recently in many European mid-range properties. It is true that the hotel sits on a busy city corner, but the windows, when closed, do a great job of keeping the noise away.

The bathroom seemed to be from a much more expensive hotel. Spacious, very nicely done, in dark green marble (or a very good imitation of it), and it had nice touches such as a proper fixed shower head (besides the omnipresent hose head common in Europe), bathtub, magnifying mirror and even linen hand towels.

The common areas are standard contemporary chain style and nothing wrong with that. The staff was nice and very approachable, I just can't say much of their knowledge of the city as I know Milan well and didn't need much advice on how to navigate the city.

Oh, yes, the parking area is not covered but secured by a gate and not at all cramped, which, in Italy, is something to be praised.

All in all, for about 100 Euros a night, it felt like a good last minute choice.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Rafabozzolla
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 5 nights on a business trip. Had been booked as part of a conference so they didn't know I was a platinum member. As soon as I presented my platinum card I was offered an upgrade, had suitable welcome and additional points benefit.

Hotel is a great location for the Metro and the central station, but is a 30min walk or 4 stops on the Metro to get to the main shopping centre.

Staff are very helpful around all things Milan and seem pleased to help.

Didn't eat here other than breakfast which was friendly and plentiful....they even remembered me by the 3rd day and knew I didn't drink coffee that early!

Room (upgraded) was good, spacious and efficient though the electronic key takes a bit of getting use to.

Windows open which is a bonus as don't like the air con dry throat...though air con is the only way to heat the room.

Only downside is the road outside is quite noisy, particularly with ambulances.....but this is city centre so never going to be rurally quiet!

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Kev-B-Lin
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 30 January 2014

I stayed for a week in January for a business trip and stayed in both a king room and a junior suite (was upgraded halfway through). Both rooms were very nicely appointed and the beds were comfortable. They even had slippers to wear around the room which I found surprising for an American hotel brand.

The King room was about normal size for a European hotel room (small by American standards), but the jr suite was nice and roomy with a little extra space in the bed area and the bath area in addition to a sofa and desk.

I am not sure there are any sights right around the hotel, but the metro station is literally right outside of the hotel entrance and so it is easy to get anywhere in town. The desk staff were very friendly and helpful and guided our group to good dining choices.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business