“Generally fine with patchy service. Don't rely on the "wake up call".”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Milan City
Ranked #52 of 428 Hotels in Milan
Singapore
“Generally fine with patchy service. Don't rely on the "wake up call".”
Reviewed 26 October 2010

I have stayed here before and have found it to be clean, modern, very convenient with the metro at its doorstep and generally efficient (but not effusive) service. However this time I was disappointed during my recent stay of 11 nights on 2 occasions :
1. I rang front desk to inquire on the telephone operator's number so that I could make an international collect call to American Express. I was dumbfounded when the gentleman simply replied "I have no idea" three times. No effort to check and call me back. Finally I found it on the internet. FYI, it is 170.
2. On my last night I requested for a wake up call the next morning (630am) so that I could catch my flight at Malpensa in good time. There was also a card in the room which claimed guaranteed wake up calls or your affected night's stay would be free. Unfortunately, 630am came and went and there was no call. I overslept. At check out I was told that no one had made a record of the request (?). The free night stay that the hotel claimed to offer was not honoured; instead they waived 10Euro for 2 drinks consumed at the minibar. I was rather annoyed by the non-apologetic demeanour by the reception desk as well - I could have missed my flight if I had not hotfooted it out of the hotel to Malpensa immediately.
In sum, this hotel is fine if you are self-sufficient, but doesn't do well in the finessing of its services.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
uk
Reviewed 12 October 2010

We stayed in This Crowne Plaza for three nights and found it very good. We had an upgrade to the top floor with a terrace and a view of the city. The Subway as mention is just out side and the 24 hour tickets for 3 Euros are great value. One of the Main rail stations is about 50metres away and this has a reasonable mini market hidden in the lower levels along with a shopping mall.
The Restaurant is clean and efficient but lacks ambience, the dinners menu is not extensive but well cooked. Breakfast is adequate.
It seems that there is a charge for the extra person not usual in Crowne plazas for priority club members which was our only niggle.
If the intercontinental Milan had not been opening soon we would stay hear again for a similar leisure break.
The Barman was great.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed 15 September 2010

I stayed in superior room and it was very clean and modern. There is very nice bath room as well. It was very pitty that I found the cigarette in the terrace even non-smoking room. I was little bit disappointed of that. The subway station is just in front of the hotel and it is very convenient! I could not find a restaurant near hotel......I ate in the hotel, but there is just few dishes on the menue......

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
Ahrenshoop, Germany
Reviewed 9 September 2010

The hotel itself is very nice, clean and has a high standard. The Entrance and Lobby look very exclusive, also due to the use of differently colored marble stones. I took the superior suite, which (as far as I understood) does not mean a bigger room but rather that internet service and movies are included in the prize. The area where the hotel is located is okay. I travel very frequently to Milano and I can assure you that there are areas that even a good hotel won't help. Outside the hotel is no street-walking, therefore the street looks safe. There is a metro station just outside the hotel (Sondrio) so that you can reach the Dome and the very nice shopping area in just a few minutes, the tickets are cheap. I will definitively go there again during my next Milan Trip.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
Manchester
Reviewed 5 September 2010

Location is great base for sight seeing, since there is a metro situated right underneath the hotel.We stayed in one of the excecutive/superior rooms and the bathroom and room were modern and spacious.We had a balcony although the view was nothing special. My only quarm about this hotel is there are no local ameneties or restaurants, so you have to get the tube to most things, otherwise great city hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 1 September 2010

We went for few days to Lombardy with the idea of visiting Como, Bellagio and Milan.
The hotel in Milan was definitely one of the nicest parts of our trip: modern, clean, perfectly close to city centre, good service, nice food. We had the superior room, which was quite, spacious and had lovely bathroom. The beds are bit hard, but we discovered that all hotels along our trip seemed to have really hard beds. Maybe it is a local preference?

The hotel is located close to Sondrio metrostation, few stops from Duomo and the shopping area.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank THREOslo
Bern, Switzerland
Reviewed 30 August 2010

I took a Superior room with a big bathroom. Modern building, pretty elegant and located over one stop of the Metro yellow line. Thanks to super thick windows, rooms are silent, nice breakfast as well

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business