“Our hands down favorite restaurant in Milano”
Review of La Porta Rossa

La Porta Rossa
Ranked #1,368 of 8,383 Restaurants in Milan
Price range: US$29 - US$41
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Stazione Centrale
Description: Typical Apulian restaurant and pizzeria in Milan since 1971.
Reviewed 30 September 2012

We literally stumbled upon this little gem by accident when we first arrived to Milano hungry and tired, it was one of the few restaurants open after 10pm in our hotel's 'hood. Wish we had eaten all our meals here because not only was it the best of the many we tried, but the most affordable. If you are looking for something pretentious and high end this isn't the place for you, it's "kitschy" in the best way, an Italian Sardi's to speak, there are pictures on the walls with celebrity types, plastic flowers and a T.V.with Italian movies playing in the background. The food is simple, homey and delicious, what you would find in an home if you were invited to dinner. It is the ONLY restaurant in Milano that did not serve us stale bread and breadsticks, I went back 3 times for the airy, light, espresso laced tiramisu. But what sets this little restaurant apart from the rest in Milano is the service and the staff. This was the only restaurant that treated us like family and not tourists, these guys knocked themselves out to be accommodating and not in a fake "solo mio" stereotypical fashion. Marcello, our favorite waiter, "Grazie Mille," you made our stay here a one we won't soon forget. La Porto Rossa, now that's Italian!

1  Thank Francie U

Reviewed 4 September 2012 via mobile

Great food and good price came 2 nights in a row for the prosciutto crudo e burrata lovely people great atmosphere offers pizza pasta meat and fish.

Reviewed 15 July 2012

I stumbled upon this restaurant by accident. A friend had recommended the restaurant two doors down and I got confused. Anyway I started off with the carpaccio, a dish for which you usually cannot go wrong in Italy. It turned out to be chewy and it was about the worst I've ever had. The pasta dish that they bought me was pretty bad as well. I asked the waiter for chili oil which usually can save just about any dish. But this chili oil was completely flavorless and without any spice or heat. I don't know if they used old peppers or if they had just made it and didn't let it sit long enough. I didn't get the feeling that anyone was quality controlling this food. In all fairness I did let the waiter know about the carpaccio. He bought it to the attention of the chef who offered me a free dessert. The desert wasn't great either. It was one of my favorite cream Carmel. It was hard on the outside, and by the speed that they got it to me I have to guess that it had been sitting for sometime It's possible that I just ordered all the wrong things on the wrong night. The waiter was actually pretty friendly and accommodating, and the pizza bread that they bought out was also very good. I have to say that I didn't realize until I got the bill that I was being charged for it. But all said I would have probably ordered it and paid for gladly because it was delicious it was probably the best thing that I had that night. Overall I must say that there was nothing I had that night that would cause me to recommend this restaurant to anyone else

2  Thank C H
Reviewed 2 June 2012

I have been to Milan twice now with my family but this was the first time we visited La Porta Rossa and I must say it was a pleasant experience. Just set back from the main street it is in a very good location. We did think they would have problems as there were 13 in our group but there was no problem to accommodate even with other customers and as we had 2 baby's I found them very helpful and friendly in getting a high chair.

I had spaghetti carbonara as a starter and a spicy sausage pizza. The carbonara was one of the best I've had and the pizza was also very nice.

The only issue we had was that it did take a bit too long for the starters to come out, but I do believe that was because of how many people we were, the wine we had was also corked but as soon as we mentioned this to the host it was changed immediately.

The staff were very attentive at all times which is in my opinion the mark of a good restaurant and we enjoyed a chat with the head waiter/ owner. I would recommend this for a nice meal out.

Reviewed 29 May 2012

I can just say, we visited this restaurant in milan with 13 people and two very small children. We had excellent service and very good food / wine & beer. My fillet steak was fantastic! Just perfect!
The waiter was Scottish, which made our communication so much easier for us.
We had a very good evening and can therefore only recommend this Restaurant. We shall certainly visit this restaurant again in the near future.