“Looks great, but food is not good and staff is not kind”
Review of Bastianello

Bastianello
Ranked #26 of 238 Bakeries in Milan
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Centro Storico
Reviewed 19 September 2012

I would not reccomend this place although it is very famous and full of people.
The coffee is in the average but it is more expensive than in other bars. Pastries are not that fresh. The staff is often not very polite and a bit rude. Being that famous, they can afford to behave like this. Highly over-rated!!!!!!!!!!!

4  Thank deephelm

Reviewed 11 February 2012

Bastianello has a long history.
It has been a well known place for a quick cappuccino and a "brioche" (in Italy the equivalent of a sweet roll) for decades. Indeed I've been told that it dates back to the 1930's.

Once upon a time it was in a different location. Now located at the corner of Via Borgogna and Piazza San Babila I guess having taken over such a premier location has either made the management rethink what "customer relations" are or they simply now think in terms of "them" (the paltry public) and "us" (meaning whomever is part of the "IN" crowd).

The place is often full... very full ... so full that a traffic cop might be useful. Why is it so full? It is centrally located which helps. Its prices are much higher than other places nearby so possibly some people are seeking to see if the luck of the "rich and famous" that go to Bastianello for for a noon time snack will rub off on them. The quality of what they serve or how they serve it does not make you want to return a second time.

Their "brioche" are of the deep frozen kind sold to baristas at rock bottom prices. The lowest quality coffee bars serve them. At 6:30 AM you can recognize the smell. At 9:00 AM they have become cement like in texture and no cappuccino, however abundant and creamy, will wash down one of these monstrosities. I mention this because Bastianello was renowned once (10 years ago) for the quality of its sweets, pastries and its freshly made brioche that made a trip across town worthwhile. That is now just a memory.

Coffee? Try someplace else.

Staff? I must have gone there on a day just before of just after an internal strike. Scowling faces, surly behavior. You name it, every attempt was made to make me want to go elsewhere.

No, I had no arguments with anyone. I stood patiently in line to pay for a cappuccino and a brioche, I paid in cash with the right change and I left a tip when I finally got to the coffee bar. You'd expect a "buon giorno" when you enter and the same when you leave. No such luck. I was not dressed badly nor did I look like some untrustworthy patron to get rid of ASAP.

The place has simply gone down hill. Its a shame but I suppose in a world in which survival of the fittest is a rule such locations in time will simply fail or change hands.

Hopefully, whomever does buy Bastianello some day will do a better job than the current management both in terms of motivating its staff and choosing what to serve its patrons.

5  Thank cho10
Reviewed 3 February 2012

I rarely write a review but always turn to trip advisor when I need to pick a hotel or restaurant...and so I feel the obligation to write.
Bastianello was and is still considered by some to be one of the best pastry shops in Milan. Unfortunately both service and food seriously need to be refreshed.
in November I had a horrible experience when I went ith my daughter and father during happy hour. My father and I were having a drink and we wanted to get n ice cream for my daughter. When we went pick out the flavor I noticed that they were putting her ice-cream in a martini glass...I explained that a 23 month old child sitting in a normal chair could not possibly eat n ice-cream in a martini glass...I would prefer the paper cups in which they normally serve ice-cream...no can do those were for take out...ok then put it in a plastic cup...or a coffee cup...after 30 min they finally put it in an espresso cup with my daughter crying. Mind you that we had a 40 euro drink bill for 3 drinks. When we received our bill they had charged us 8 euro for .5 scoop of ice-cream.
I had sworn I would never go back but on Monday I had not eaten lunch so I decided to get a sweet to hold me over. I bought 4 fritters...ate only one but tasted something was off. I then felt sick for 4 hours.

Later that night I called asking to speak to a manager. A woman answered I explained that someone should taste the fritters before anyone else gets sick and they responded that noone else had complained and tat I should bring my remaining fritters to be sent to a lab to be tested. I repeated that the only reason for my call was for someone to taste the product and her response was maybe I had been already sick.

My advice....for pastries at 60 euro a kilo you should be guaranteed your product is perfect.

Go to Marchesi, Cucchi or peck!!!!

7  Thank adrianaspat
Reviewed 5 October 2011

Considered one of the best bars in Italy...well, it is attractive, elegant but highly overpriced! The food looks great but is awful! Everything we have tried(I keep forgetting past experiences and have been in several times) goes straight in the bin! After having paid 5 euros for four tiny stale biscuits, I have learned my lesson! Give it a miss!

2  Thank veryspoiled
Reviewed 9 January 2011

I go to Pasticceria Bastianello every single time I am in Milan. For my entire review of this cafe with photos, please visit my blog post: http://www.destinationsperfected.com/search/label/Pasticceria%20Bastianello