“THE Palace of Pastries!!!”
Review of Bastianello

Bastianello
Ranked #22 of 241 Bakeries in Milan
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Centro Storico
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Sparkling atmosphere,with a glamourous decor for pastries made with the highest craftsmanship, artistically displayed, serious professionalism in every aspect.

Reviewed 20 July 2013

We heard so much about their reputation for gelato we just had to try it. I am happy to say they lived up to the expectations. There were 7 of us and we all tried difference flavors to get a taste of many. Each flavor was better than the next. From the simple vanilla, chocolate to the pistachio and Stracciatella this was some of the best gelato we have tasted throughout Italy. We all got the large with 3 scoops each. It is so thick, creamy and rich in flavor it is almost meal by itself. You would think you could not finish it - BUT WE DID!!! Two of us got the mint granada which was so refreshing on a hot day.

The service was excellent. The staff was so accommodation even thought we arrived 15 minutes before closing with 7 people. If they were not closing we would have had a second round of gelato.

I also bought some chocolate covered orange and lemon peels. These were OK but not close to the best I had in Sicily and Sorrento.

I see some other poor reviews on the pastries. We did not buy any pastries so I cannot comment on the reviews.

All I can say is you need to go here for some awesome gelato.

Reviewed 26 September 2012

Their pasticceria is more than well known in Milan - their cakes are a byword (but cost the earth, be warned!). They do a great happy hour - wonderful nibbles, though the service is sometimes a bit slow. This however is one of the places where the Milanese like to be seen.

Reviewed 19 September 2012

I would not reccomend this place although it is very famous and full of people.
The coffee is in the average but it is more expensive than in other bars. Pastries are not that fresh. The staff is often not very polite and a bit rude. Being that famous, they can afford to behave like this. Highly over-rated!!!!!!!!!!!

4  Thank deephelm
Reviewed 11 February 2012

Bastianello has a long history.
It has been a well known place for a quick cappuccino and a "brioche" (in Italy the equivalent of a sweet roll) for decades. Indeed I've been told that it dates back to the 1930's.

Once upon a time it was in a different location. Now located at the corner of Via Borgogna and Piazza San Babila I guess having taken over such a premier location has either made the management rethink what "customer relations" are or they simply now think in terms of "them" (the paltry public) and "us" (meaning whomever is part of the "IN" crowd).

The place is often full... very full ... so full that a traffic cop might be useful. Why is it so full? It is centrally located which helps. Its prices are much higher than other places nearby so possibly some people are seeking to see if the luck of the "rich and famous" that go to Bastianello for for a noon time snack will rub off on them. The quality of what they serve or how they serve it does not make you want to return a second time.

Their "brioche" are of the deep frozen kind sold to baristas at rock bottom prices. The lowest quality coffee bars serve them. At 6:30 AM you can recognize the smell. At 9:00 AM they have become cement like in texture and no cappuccino, however abundant and creamy, will wash down one of these monstrosities. I mention this because Bastianello was renowned once (10 years ago) for the quality of its sweets, pastries and its freshly made brioche that made a trip across town worthwhile. That is now just a memory.

Coffee? Try someplace else.

Staff? I must have gone there on a day just before of just after an internal strike. Scowling faces, surly behavior. You name it, every attempt was made to make me want to go elsewhere.

No, I had no arguments with anyone. I stood patiently in line to pay for a cappuccino and a brioche, I paid in cash with the right change and I left a tip when I finally got to the coffee bar. You'd expect a "buon giorno" when you enter and the same when you leave. No such luck. I was not dressed badly nor did I look like some untrustworthy patron to get rid of ASAP.

The place has simply gone down hill. Its a shame but I suppose in a world in which survival of the fittest is a rule such locations in time will simply fail or change hands.

Hopefully, whomever does buy Bastianello some day will do a better job than the current management both in terms of motivating its staff and choosing what to serve its patrons.

5  Thank cho10