I stayed here for 5 days with my wife who visited a tradeshow at the Milan Fiera Rho for 2 days. We had had to book fairly last-minute and it seemed too good to be true for the price we paid.
It turned out to be a very new and fairly stylish hotel , that is pretty true to what you see online. The room was clean and nicely furnished, a buttery wood and chocolate theme. Bathroom had Bidet and was good, bath tub filled within minutes. Room Safe and coffee maker, so no complaints. Internet access was easy but a bit pricey. 30 mins was 3 euros, 1 hr 6 euros. 48 hr access was only 15 euros, but who stays in their room in Milan long enough to want 48 hr access? This could be so much improved if you could log on and off for as long as you have minutes instead of having to use it all within a 48 hour timeframe.
Desk was friendly and helpful. Room Service was almost annoyed you called him. He would sigh as if you had dared to interrupt him during a romantic date or a nice nap.He did this EVERY time we called.
Breakfast was a disappointment. Even though we liked the fresh fruit selection it was a shame that the scrambled eggs were uncooked and resembled raw egg soup. We heard many other guests complain about this and the eggs didn't need to be replenished as hardly anyone ate them. Staff said this was the Italian way of cooking ( or not cooking) eggs but the majority of the guests were foreign and would have liked eggs without sanitary risks. You also had to make sure that waiters wouldn't take your half-eaten plates from under your nose. I watched how they completely cleared a young lady's fully decked out breakfast table when she got up to get a slice of toast, she hadn't been gone 60 seconds and had had plenty of food on her table. The next day the same happened to me when I got up to get a fork. This was unacceptable. Breakfast was served in the restaurant which is stylish but lacked atmosphere. We decided to have dinner at the restaurant once. While everyone was friendly, the waiters were very court and would forget orders. Food was okay. Room Service was also okay, not delicious. Warning: the restaurant closes on Sundays during the day and so does the room service even though it says "daily" on the menu. We and other people were told to order Pizza through the concierge. We didn't try that but went out instead.
Which brings us to the main disadvantage this hotel has: its location. It is in the middle of nowhere. The area is quite seedy, walks are not recommended unless you feel like a chat with a several tranny prostitutes on the very same street . It is fairly easy to take a tram into the city center for a fare of 1Euro only, but that takes 30 mins to the Duomo.
Cab fare from the Malpensa Airport will set you back around 80 Euros, less than 20 Euros from Linate. We had previously only stayed in the city center so this was a change from the usual, it was quite a bit away from the main spots of Milan. Getting to the tradeshow Rho was easy, provided you took a cab ( 20 euros) but finding a cab back can be impossible as the taxi line at the trade fair can be a mile long at times. Despite the hotel's closeness to the Fiera Rho getting to tthe Fiera and back by Metro is impossible as the next Metro stop is not in walking distance.
Nevertheless I would stay at this hotel again. I value having a nice clean room and I don't mind paying for taxis to go everywhere. I also have seen everything in Milan already and hop into cabs to shops or restaurants. If you wanr to move around freely and experience Milan this might not be for you. The price was good, but it's not a place for a romantic week-end or a shopping/restaurant marathon. You will miss the walks in the city that are so necessary for a Milan trip. For going to a tradeshow this is fine, but make sure you order your pickup ahaed or you will be waiting for a taxi from the Fiera forever.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The new Doubletree by Hilton Milan in the heart of Viale Certosa, northern Milan's essential business district, offers upscale hotel accommodations and modern amenities close to Fiera Milano Exhibition Center and Trade Fair Complex, only five minutes from the new Rho Fair Grounds and 10 minutes from the City Center. Our elegant hotel, convenient to major rail lines and autostrada, is only 30 minutes from Malpensa International Airport (MXP) and 30 minutes (25mi/15km) from Linate National Airport (LIN). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ctrip TA, Agoda, TripOnline SA, LoveHolidays, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Doubletree by Hilton Milan reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Doubletree By Hilton Milan Hotel Milan
- Hilton International Milan
- Milan Hilton International