“Odd....”

Ranked #113 of 427 Hotels in Milan
Illinois
“Odd....”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I recently spent two nights at the Boscolo Milano. Arriving was hampered by a taxi strike in Milan (taxi drivers didn't like the introduction of Uber in Milan). Thankfully the hotel is only two blocks from a subway station.

Upon arrival, I was impressed with the lobby. The flower arrangements were being replaced and they were stunning.

Registration went well. I arrived about 3 pm and my room was ready. A friend had been waiting in the lobby for two hours and his room was still not ready at 3 pm. They did some juggling and found him a room when I arrived.

My first impression of the room was positive. If you've conducted research, you've seen photos and those are worth a 1,000 words at the Boscolo Milano.

The safe was really large - three shelves for storing items. Unfortunately the safe in my room wasn't working. After two calls to the front desk, security arrived to replace batteries. That didn't help so they ultimately had to unscrew the safe from the floor and replace it with a new one. I've never had that happen before. In the meantime, I asked how to change TV channels because I could not get that feature to work. After stepping me through the process of changing channels, they discovered that my TV would not change channels. After a lot of trial and error, they said they had to re-boot the room. Behind a mirror was a switch or cable that allowed them to turn everything in the room off. After the reboot, channel changing worked. That's when I realized the channel listing in the room did not match the channels on the TV. I was looking for CNN and never did find it. Settled on BBC news since there were very few English-language channels.

On the plus side, the room was very clean. The green vinyl "blob" chair was odd. Having a room with the toilet and bidet on one side of the TV and the room with the shower on the other side worked for a single occupant. This could have been awkward when sharing a room. Another oddity - no soap or towels in the mini-sink in the toilet room.

The regular sink and shower were fine. Something appeared to be broken and all I could get to work was the hand-held shower wand. The overhead rain shower never would engage no matter how much I pushed, pulled and twisted the only other knob in the shower area. My friend had the opposite problem - only the rain shower head worked and the hand-held wand never would work.

The numbered toiletries were unique although we both realized that tubes with the #2 contents were missing. We both had two #3s instead.

We visited both the pool in the basement (cool looking!) as well as the outdoor lounge on the top floor. Very impressive view of the Duomo.

Breakfast was good but pricey. Plenty of options. I really like the mini skewers of pancakes, cheese and ham - kind of a breakfast appetizer.

As others have mentioned, the location is great.

I stayed using Rewards points. if I had paid for the room, I would have been quite disappointed. A hotel at this star level should not have had issues with the safe, TV and the shower. However, the staff was friendly and accommodating throughout the stay.

Room Tip: Not many rooms have views so pay extra if you want to secure a room with a Duomo view.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Bippie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We loved our stay at this contemporary, modern hotel in a great location in Milan. We arrived very early for check-in after an overnight flight and they accommodated us after a brief delay. Our room was large and comfortable, and the bathroom was huge with at least 15 different shampoos, conditioners, lotions and body washes in fun test-tube packaging. The bed was fabulous with good linens and a funky overhead cloud. The location is great - we were able to walk everywhere. Tons of great restaurants, shopping and sights. The staff was friendly and helpful with recommendations and directions. We would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mimi5636
Fernandina Beach, FL
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Very modern hotel as one of the newest to be built in Milan. Some of the furnishing are a little funky, but otherwise a comfortable hotel...good bed, nice rain shower, large towels and a variety of shampoos, bocy wash and lotions. Be careful the shower floor can be slippery when already wet. Laminated wood floors in the hallway makes it very noisy. Breakfast was good and could even order pancakes.

Great location for touring Milan on foot. Romano, Guest Relations Mgr,, recommended we go to the 8th floor rooftop terrace to view the Dumo when lit at night which provided excellent pictures. Hew was very friendly. Also, the doorman (Abdul) recommended a great gelato place and was helpful with other directions.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank married96
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I had an overall good experience staying at Boscolo. However with a lack of that little extra.
Staff at reception was observant and friendly, and gave great service.

The room (Luxury room) was nice and met my expectations. Only remark about the room is regarding the shower, where there were visible water damages in the floor corners and the rainfall shower head was mended and hanging a bit loose.

At the rooftop however, one evening the service was really bad. I ordered a drink and was given the wrong one. I ordered snacks to the drink and had to ask again after waiting long. Me and my room mate ordered food and wine, and waited very long for it, although there was just as many staff members on the roof as there were visitors. I would have liked to have the wine while waiting for the food... Also the music at the rooftop bar this evening was the same track playing over and over and over again (elevator music), and even though I pointed out that the same track had been played probably 15 times, it still took very long until it finally changed and someone put on some nice lounge music.

Another negative experience was down in the spa one early evening. Outside the pool area there was a table where tea, fruit and nuts where supposed to be served. There was nothing left when I arrived, no tea water, no drinking water, just used cups. I asked the girl in the spa entrance, and she said she had called for more. Nothing happened however, and when I left after swimming and sitting in the sauna, the table was still a mess and nobody had attended to it.

Room Tip: Stayed in a luxury room, facing a quiet back yard. The room was spacious and good for two friends sh...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jewallin
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Part of the Autograph collection, this Milan location is clutch. Very central and close to several bars, restaurants and cafes. There are several shops and designer boutiques just a stones throw away.
The rooms are decently sized in terms of European standards and the staff is very friendly. Room service was fast and the food was very good. The selection of wines in the hotel bar is excellent. The hotel also hosts a night club that is very popular and on Saturday nights, the line to enter the club extends all the way outside the hotel. Speak to your concierge about entry to the club if you are a room guest.
All in all, a very great experience.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank harimoc
Lynnfield
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We stayed three nights at Boscol. The hotel was surprisingly modern and funky. We were able to walk everywhere within the city, never needing a cab. It's close to the train, the city center, the Opera House, and many restaurants. The beds are comfortable and the showers and bath were filled with fun multi-colored shampoos and soaps. The shower was in need of repair near the door area. After our first night we moved to a different room and we had magnificent view of the Duomo. The staff was extremely helpful when we required directions, taking out maps and charting paths for us to follow. The roof top bar is a great spot for having a drink and viewing the Duomo. Twice we enjoyed the spa/pool area. One time the space was overcome with running children. No parents to be seen. Also, there were a plethora of used towels around on the 6 available beds. More beds? Hooks for towels, robes? I would stay here again because of location and the helpfulness of the staff.

Room Tip: Get a view of the Duomo!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gram E
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Location is very central and very good. Nice view on Duomo from top floor bar.
However, where do i start? Maybe with the fact the hotel failed to pick me up from the airport. It was prearranged but nobody showed up. Yes, i got a bottle of bubbly wine to compensate but so what? Room, not bad, you love the green plastic seat (with handles) or you don't but the fact the water in the shower stays boiling hot no matter how you turn the tab is not normal - my wife was unable to wash her hair and needed to do it in the sink. Breakfast - on Monday morning no issue but on Sunday morning downstairs in the bar (?) - super poor service. We ordered 2 omelettes and the chef couldn't get them right (by the way, one was plain, one was ham/cheese - not too difficult) - they kept showing up with mushrooms - we ate them like that. Employees are too cool, too stuck up with the exception of a concierge - i think her name was Valentina. At check-out Monday morning the guy who checked us out told us there was a taxi strike. Obviously, that's not his fault but his reaction on my question "how do we get to the airport" was "that's not my problem". That is not lack of language knowledge, that's arrogance and that doesn't belong in the service industry and certainly not in an alleged 5-star hotel. It's not worth those 5 stars as you gathered. Stay away, folks!

Room Tip: Stay away, folks!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank pgi1960
Barbara G, General Manager at Boscolo Milano, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear Guest

we are very frustrated in reading your comment.
We work daily for our guest satisfaction and we take care of their expectation and need.
You indicated in your response that some people was not helpful and their advises were not satisfactory. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced.
The taxi strike actually was unexpected and not announced and created problems to guests.
But we have professional people, very well prepared on the city life and the city logistic.
We work for the satisfaction of our guest. We daily train our staff to improve their attitude and the quality of the service we offer to our guests.
I will take the opportunity to share with our staff the comments you did, in order to feed our learning process.
Unfortunately, we did not meet your expectations also for the room functionality and amenities.
We take great pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction. The Boscolo Milano is a design Hotel, and each detail is hardly studied and chosen by the Architect for giving the lifestyle mood.
Some special rooms are equipped also with fitness features that usually are really appreciated. And I am very sorry that this is not the case.

Barbara Gibellini