“Dispicable”
Review of TownHouse Galleria

TownHouse Galleria
Ranked #174 of 427 Hotels in Milan
Reviewed 23 July 2013

My assistant booked Town House 8 for one night as I have stayed there before and it was close to where my business appointments were. When I arrived after a long day of travel, the receptionist told me that my booking was for the night before and I was a day late. He insisted it was my error and would not even consider entertaining any other possibility. I was unable to confer with my assistant as she was not contactable.

The receptionist said they had room available but would be charging me the full €540 for the night before. With no consideration that it may be their error, no negotiation, no offer to meet half way, noting at all. I don't think I have ever come across such arrogance in the hospitality industry. Needless to say, I told them where to get off and went to The Park Hyatt which is #1 on Tripadvisor and right next door.

Reading the replies to some of their other negative reviews, they all begin with "Dear guest,
We sincerely apologize for the negative experience at our property..." is testament to their cut-and-paste mentality toward their guests, or in my case, former guest. I have no doubt they will reply to this review with the same opening line and then proceed by quoting their cancellation policy and in the process completely miss the point.

I will NEVER stay with the Town House group again nor will I ever recommend them to anyone. They had an opportunity to do the right thing but clearly, making €540 is far more important to them. I guess there's a reason they're down to #143 on Tripadvisor.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
13  Thank DEK649

Reviewed 28 June 2013

Our stay at Town House 8 was absolutely excellent! The hotel itself is intensely private (no reception, no common areas), so it feels like you're staying in your own luxury apartment rather than a hotel. It's actually located inside the Galleria (looking directly into the north arcade), which is steps away from the Piazza del Duomo. The room was large, modern, comfortable, and very relaxing. We had traveled to Milan for La Scala, and this was the perfect hotel for this trip- only a 5 minute walk to La Scala with plenty of restaurants to chose from in the area.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
TownHouse_Italy, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at TownHouse Galleria, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Thank you very much for your kind comment, we hope to have you again in this home in Milan. Warm regards, Head of PR Town House Collection

Reviewed 22 June 2013

The room was more of a little lounge than a hotel room. It was huge, with a lot of space, and it was very yellow (which we liked).

The location was very good, just steps from the Duomo. Overall, Milan was the least favorite part of our honeymoon in Italy, but this hotel was very nice.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
TownHouse_Italy, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at TownHouse Galleria, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2014

Dear guest, Thank you for your comments, that are much appreciated and always helpful. We hope to see you again in the near future in this Unique Home in Milan. Head of PR TownHouse Collection

Reviewed 22 June 2013

I stayed here June 6-8 two nights with a friend. Even though the annex is a hike from the main hotel at Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II, the porter took our luggage, so it was no problem. The annex is practically next door to La Rinascente department store and close to the Duomo and other shopping, so it was a perfect location for us!

The room and bathroom were very large by European standards, with an ultra-modern design that will not be to everyone's taste, but we thought it was cool, except for one strange decoration (see photo) of a mannequin-type head with holes all over it. I still can't figure that out! The bed was firm, which was good for me, and we requested extra pillows, which were brought promptly. The toiletries were excellent quality and even included two loofah sponges. The bath towels were superior quality, which also is rare in Europe.

An excellent feature was the free mini bar, which had Coke, Coke Zero, Fanta, still and sparkling water. Wifi also was free and fast.

Breakfast was served in the main hotel overlooking the beautiful Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II. Breakfast was not included in our rate, but we splurged one morning and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was made-to-order, not a buffet. I had a great omelet, while my friend had French toast.

The hotel is not cheap, but the location made it worthwhile. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank caroblue

Dear Madame/Sir,
we would really like to thank you very much for the review that you have left. We are very happy about the quality that we were able to offer you. We are pleased to read any suggestion in order how to satisfy our Guests. We hope to see you again in the near future and to welcome you in our Unique Home in the centre of Milan. Head of PR TownHouse Collection

Reviewed 8 June 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Galleria rooms with a Galleria view. It is really romantic and spectacular! The location is perfect. The hotel is modern. You can enjoy Milan at its best. My wife enjoyed everything, specially breakfast in the room. She liked the coffee. Small details make all the difference. Will be back for sure!!!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Piggy47

Reviewed 1 June 2013

We stayed in the Annex, although it would have been nice to have known how far it was from the main part of the hotel. In the end it was nice to stay away from the hustle and bustle of the Galleria, but it would have been nice to know. The rooms were roomy and comfortable, and the decor was unique and pleasing to the eye. The service was excellent when we asked for it, but it would have been nice to have extra pillows, robes, and slippers for our stay. The bathrooms were spacious and quite nice - so overall was a good selection. If we were to go back to Milan, we would definitely look at Town House 8 again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Staying here for two nights with my sister. Got a good rate and it's really cute. Agree with the other reviewers that it's not clear that this hotel is a block and a half away from the Galleria, and more of an apartment. There are no keys -- only a code that you punch into a keypad outside your room. You punch in your code, it buzzes loudly, and you push open the door right into the room. We learned the hard way that they do not change the code between guests.

It was about 10:30 at night and we were lying on the bed watching tv. Suddenly the entry buzzer went off and a random person walked into our room. She immediately waved, apologized, and left, but we were left wondering how that could happen and if it would happen again.

I immediately called the front desk and explained the situation. The receptionist wasn't sure who it could have been, and said that she would send someone to change the code. When the bellman arrived to change it, I asked who else had the code. He said he wouldn't know. I asked if they changed it between guests and he said that they did not.

Don't feel safe here. Won't return and can't recommend.

Room Tip: Not safe. Do not recommend.