“Sense of duty”

Ranked #82 of 428 Hotels in Milan
Israel
“Sense of duty”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Maison Borella is a lovely little hotel in Navigli district Milan.
As many other reviewer we were very satisfied with this agreeable little hotel. That the hotel offered free (flat or sparkling) drinking water was another nice touch.
This is what we found exceptional.
When we arrived in Milan a Taxi strike had started. The day we had to leave (by train) the strike
was still on. The manager ordered for us a chauffeur driven limousine. When the time for our
departure came, no limousine was in view. The hotel manager was on the phone continuously
and running inside / outside. Finally he gave the keys to his car to his second and asked him
to take us to the train station. At this moment the limousine finally arrived. We were very impressed by the hotel managers sense of duty and responsibility.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cameralucida

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I have just returned from 3 nights at the Maison Borella, I travelled with my husband, two children aged 15 and 4, and another couple. I booked this hotel because of its location in the heart of the good nightlife of the Navigli district, and within reasonable walking distance of the Duomo and other tourist sights. I booked 3 rooms, (2 superior doubles, 1 standard double) which varied in price depending on the day from 150 euros to 190 euros per night including breakfast, which is more than I usually pay, but Milan hotels are pricey, and given the standard of accommodation and the location I was glad I stretched my budget to stay here. The hotel is located right on the canal side in a beautifully renovated old building. Rooms are arranged around a honeysuckle scented courtyard and have everything you could want - big, comfy beds and pillows, powerful a/c, safe, flatscreen TV with English speaking channels, hairdryer etc etc. Everything spotlessly clean and modern. Our room overlooked the canal and I did wonder if we would get a lot of street noise, but the windows are really good and we heard no noise at all. Breakfast was good and there is a nice bar at the front of the hotel. The staff at the hotel all spoke excellent English and were really helpful and friendly.

There are restaurants and bars all the way along the canal here. We ate at the one right next door to the hotel on the left (lovely meal) and also at the one a few steps to the right of the hotel with a lovely interior garden (again a lovely meal). We went to 'happy hour' one night at one of the places opposite the hotel on the other side of the canal where you pay 10 euros for your first drink and can eat as much as you like from the buffet. The area was buzzing every evening, so if you like nightlife this is a great place to stay. It takes about half an hour to walk to the Duomo, longer if you go in all the clothes shops on the way! A note about the canals. Some reveiwers have said they are stinking and empty. Well, when we were there the canal outside the hotel was full of water and flowing steadily and boat trips were operating. I didn't smell anything. There is a lot of work going on in the area at the moment and it appears that the canals are being cleaned and renovated. There is some graffiti, but no worse than any other city.

We arrived in Milan by taxi from Como, we had planned to catch the train, but unfortunately there was a train strike that day! Apparently this is not uncommon in Italy. We asked the hotel to arrange us a taxi for the 6 of us to Malpensa airport, this cost 115 euros, which I thought wasn't unreasonable considering that the airport is a good 40 minutes drive.

We travel quite a bit as a group and we agreed that this was one of the best hotels we have stayed in to date, so thank you Maison Borella for an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Here on work, I was initially cheesed off to not be able to book a room at the Nhow Milan. Even less happy to find that i was staying at a hotel overlooking that stinking eyesore that is the (nearly empty) canal. Nevertheless, what a lovely little hotel this is. There is a courtyard inside, I'm not sure if all rooms face onto the courtyard but mine did, so not only were eyes not feasted on the visual delight that is the aforementioned shopping trolley, tyre, and splash of urine canal, I had a lovely and cosy look onto a courtyard. Very happy. Reception were attentive and polite, the room was nice, clean, and contemporary. All in all, a great place to stay if you're working in that district of Milan. There's some great local restaurants, and its not too far from the Cathedral if you're there on pleasure. The breakfast deserves a mention too. I didn't really indulge, but what i had was good, fresh, and tasty. There was a good variety too.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Lee W
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

This was our first. Time to Italy and Milan, and using other travellers reviews I booked into this hotel. I was not disappointed.

The staff were very friendly and happy to chat in English which was necessary due to our poor Italian skills. The room (and hotel) was very clean, was able to be very dark if you needed it to be (especially after 24+hrs of travel), was quiet even though the below street got busy, offered a great range for breakfast (cold options only), and was in an awesome location - easy 3 metro stops to main tourist attractions - and had huge range of restaurants in the same and surrounding streets.

The only negatives of our stay, the shower door didn't close properly, so the bathroom floor got very wet.

Overall we had awesome stay and would recommend to anyone. if we're ever in Milan again we will look to stay here again.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pawstevenson
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 13 March 2014

To everyone who is travelling to Milan, I would strongly recommend this hotel. The location is amazing on the canal. It’s very romantic at night, and there ate lots of restaurants around it. You will have to walk a bit to the main square of Milan, but the walk is totally worth it as you pass by some of the beautiful streets of Milan and some good stores for shopping.
The hotel itself is very clean and quite, and the restaurant downstairs serves good quality classic Italian food. Our only complaint was the breakfast was not very organized. They kept running out of eggs for all the guests. However, it was a minor issue that did not ruin our overall experience.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Uberlandia, MG
Reviewed 30 December 2013

After 16 days travelling, 3 cities visited what we just need we found at Maison Borella: Tranquility, nice place, good service and attention.
All the staff are highly motivated to create an environment for happiness.
Honest breakfast, everything 100% fresh.
Charming rooms with nice bath.
Located on a hype village, surrounded by artists, restaurants and antique shops.

Room Tip: Room 202 good cost benefit. Top rooms at the roof are nice but not cheap.