“Loved it and loved the staff”
Review of Hotel Milano Scala

Hotel Milano Scala
Ranked #25 of 428 Hotels in Milan
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Both suites were amazing, they have a good breakfast, near Duomo, there was nothing to complain and it is difficult to see a concierge as good as they have. You think and she reads your mind and there it is!!! I will return!

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank BlancaBrasil

Reviewed 24 October 2013 via mobile

Warm welcome. A small but good quality hotel in central Milan. Well appointed rooms with everything you would expect in a major hotel. Would use for pleasure as well as business. Not at all noisy despite its central location.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank Watercombehouse
Reviewed 21 October 2013

This little hotel wonderfully centrally placed has one of the most friendly staff that we have ever encountered. The hotel is sparkingly clean and neat and eco friendly. The rooms have every thing one needs but the rooms are not spacious, breakfast is delicious. Thoroughly recommended. The room was kept for early arrival

Room Tip: At the back
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank peter1581
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I stayed at Hotel Milano Scala in Late September (2013). It was a one-night stay over on my way to Verona. I found a fantastic deal a couple of weeks earlier on the hotel's web site which was too good to ignore (just about 150 euros including tax).

The hotel is located at the heart of shopping district, in a trendy neighbourhood. Although it is right between the tow closest metro stations; so if you take metro to go there, it might be a bit too difficult if you carried big luggage. After I made my reservation, the hotel offered me an airport pick-up for 50 euros (I landed at Linate, the closer airport not Maplensa). Still it was a very good deal given that the flat rate for airport taxis is about 60 euros! I did not take either though; I used the LInate shuttle bus to Centrale railway station and took the rest of the way by metro (3 stops away).

My room was a single room (I travelled alone); although the room was small, it pretty much had everything I needed. The room and the bathroom were very clean with nice furnishing except that the hand-shower hose was broken and it leaked when water was on. I did not mind it but from maintenance point of view, you expect a hotel to take good care of its rooms and bathrooms.

The breakfast was OK (believe it or not my rate included breakfast too!) but I would rate it as mediocre. I am not a big breakfast person; so personally I did not mind it. Nevertheless, breakfast at every hotel I had stayed in the US and Canada was certainly much better.

Finally, I would like to say a few words about the staff. You may have already found out that I am not a terribly demanding traveller with too high expectations. However, I did not find the staff as friendly and helpful as I expected. The gentleman at the reception desk on the night my arrival (September 22nd) seemed agitated when I asked him a couple of questions about the following week deals I had seen on the web! I do not know why he seemed so impatient. At the same time, the young lady the same evening and the two ladies who were at the reception in the morning I left were much better.

I think staff, especially reception staff, are the "face" of a hotel and, in fact, one of the best measures of how good a hotel is. It is extremely important for the hotel managers to assign their most genuinely patient, friendly and helpful staff at the front desk. I do not think Hotel Milano Scala scored high on this one.

Room Tip: As quiet as they might be, most rooms facing the the interior open courtyard could be a bit dim at t...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank KMMV
Reviewed 9 October 2013

I have stayed there one night in a single room when on business in Milan. Reception was professional and room was good. Well-appointed, clean and a nice bathroom, too albeit with a little bit of wear and tear in two spots but absolutely acceptable. My (cheap) room was to the via dell'Orso which has some traffic on cobblestones. Windows are modern and shut tight, so no problem. A/C was working quietly and controllable, the only thing I could not find out was how to set the fan from one above minimum to minimum but not zero. But it was such a small issue, I did not bother. It was quiet enough - and I sleep light.

Breakfast was great for such a small hotel. Good buffet incl fruit etc, nice sitting area and even a harp player in the adjoining open-plan library.

Location is suberb; local osterias nearby. A 5 minute walk leads to the teatro alla scala, then the galleria Vittorio Emmanuele and il duomo. Upmarket shopping in via MonteNapoleone is also only 12 min walk away.
My hotel in Milan from now on.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Arndt F
Reviewed 8 October 2013

We love this quaint boutique hotel with an excellent service staff. The location is perfect-- we spent 10 days in Milan and walked to every major site from this hotel. Rooms are fresh,clean and comfortable. Lots of restaurants close by including a new one everybody should try-- LARTE on Via Manzoni- 5 minutes away-- wonderful experience,food and great staff-- don't miss it !!! Trip Advisor ,please include it in your list. Opened around October 5th ,2013 while we were there--- fantastic !!!!!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I did a lot of research before picking this hotel for a two night stay in Milan during fashion week and was not disappointed.

The hotel is within a 5 minute walk of La Scala Opera House which then puts you in the heart of Milan. Perfect location from which to explore Milan, dine or to shop. Loved the stylish hotel decor.

Was looking forward to enjoying the rooftop garden terrace but for some reason it was closed both nights we were there. Room was not large but reasonably sized (for Italy) and very well decorated. Bed was large and very comfortable (… including great pillows). Washroom was spacious and well laid out. Cleanliness in this hotel is impeccable.

Front desk staff were very energetic, helpful and courteous. Complimentary breakfast, including the service, was excellent. The free Wifi service was among the most reliable we experienced during our trip to Italy. Got great value and won’t hesitate to book this hotel again.

Room Tip: Can't imagine there is a bad room in this hotel...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple