“Ideal location, comfortable hotel, nice staff.”
Review of Hotel Milano Scala

Hotel Milano Scala
Ranked #24 of 431 Hotels in Milan
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 20 February 2011

Hotel is ideally located Via dell'Orso, a stone away from La Scala and The Duomo square and in the heart of Milan's fashion and design district (via Brera, via Solferino...).
It is not a cheap hotel but in Milan is an expensive city when it comes to hotel and you also pay for the location.

We were with my wife in a superior room, whose dimension are very reasonable, overlooking the inside yard, hence very quite (even though a little bit dark, even though we were on the 3rd floor). I would advise not to book a room which is on the street as via dell'orso can be very noisy at night, especially during the week-ends (I have lived 5 years in Milan in the past in the area).
Rooms are decently equipped (however no free Wifi access which is a shame as it is now standard in most hotels now) and the bed is very comfortable.

The personnel is very kind and helpful. The breakfast (included in the price) compares very well to the standard italian hotels, and offers a continental as well as UK breakfast. The breakfast room is pretty small (10 tables max.) so I guess that when the hotel is full it is difficult to have a table immediately at rush hours (it was not the case when I stayed as it was during a week-end, jut before the Fashion week).

Overall, the hotel is very nice and I would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
HMS-Manager, Direttore at Hotel Milano Scala, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2011

Dear Sirs,

we would like to thank you for your kind annotation and we reply to your comments as follows:

Hotel Milano Scala offers to all Guests 3-hour free Wifi Internet Access and this service is stated in our website and with reference to this topic, we suggest you to read through the letter written but our Guest “Captpablo Jan 26th 2011” on Tripadvisor. In this letter, the Guest’s commentary consists in an appreciation of the free Internet Connection, (Guglielmo/Fastweb) offered by the Hotel Milano Scala, considering the service offered as an added value.

Our breakfast room is not the only space where the breakfast is being served; as you have correctly deduced, when the Hotel Milano Scala has to face moments of high occupancy, a second space is being set up in the ground floor to be conveniently used during rush hours.

Hoping we will have the pleasure to have you as our Welcomed Guest again in the future, we remain

Sincerely Yours

The Management

Reviewed 14 February 2011

I stayed at Hotel Milano Scala a week or so ago and it was a lovely experience. I chose it because of location, price, and style and was not disappointed in any of these aspects. The street is sits on - dell' Orso - is just 10 or so minutes away on foot from La Scala and a few more to streets such as Montenapoleone in one direction and La Triennale di Milano Design Museum in another. I stayed just two nights in Milan; the staff were warm and lively, helping me with taxis, places to eat and general directions in my first visit to Milan. Check-in and check-out were efficiently and quickly handled. The single room itself was an absolutely fine size for one person and certainly far larger and superior to others I have encountered, as well as being stylishly appointed. The bathroom is great - deep bath and a powerful shower - but also modern and scrupulously clean. The room itself was lovely with a La Scala mural on one wall, leading out to a small balcony. it was very peaceful, with no noise at all. From the balcony a pretty ivy wall can be viewed and below, a pool of water. The bed was comfortable, with crisp white sheets and ample pillows ensuring a good night's sleep. The breakfast in the morning provided good variety - from cereals and fruit to cooked foods etc, and again, of a much higher quality than in other hotels. There is also a lovely sitting area/library off the foyer, adding to the ambience. I found the hotel to be relaxed in feel though professional in approach. It is also well-priced and worth a visit, not too large to be impersonal. I felt very much at ease here and would happily recommend it to others.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 January 2011

We only spent a night in Milan, but I do spend 80 nights a year in hotels across the world. I will first admit that I had no idea how far Milan Malpensa Airport was from Milan. More on this later in review.

Check in was super efficient. Helped us with our bag. Room was very warm and no real safe way to open the sliding door to let in cooler air. My wife whom is always cold was hot. I opened the balcony door but it just didn't feel safe. The room was about average for Italy. It was new, great shower, decent sheets. I liked it. Free internet is always a plus.
I've stayed in bigger and smaller. New everything. The location was great. Walking distance to all transportation and attractions. Nice neighborhood that was NOT touristy.

I was not overly impressed with the front desk staff. We did ask for a taxi since we were leaving at 4:30am. I knew that we could be charge a price for this, but at 4:30am, I just wanted to know a taxi was going to be there. The hotel staff said it would cost 60 euro and ended up costing 100 euro. Just something to be careful of.

I would stay here again, it was a good price and a great location.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Captpablo
Reviewed 2 November 2010

During my 4-night stay in this charming hotel, I was pleasantly surprised with the level of quality concerning this hotel. I had to choose this hotel because the hotel which I normally book was fully occupied. But what a nice surprise this was.
The rooms are very trendy, clean and comfortable. During the check-in procedure (which hardly takes any time) I was addressed in English after the staff member discoverd that I did not speak Italian. The staff in the hotel tries to make you feel at ease without making you feel watched at all times.
The overall quality of the rooms is very good. You immediately notice that the hotel has invested in the overall quality of the bathroom.
Only minor point was the breakfast. Due to the very small room, the breakfast was not very practically organised, and the range of different products was not up to standard with other hotels in this price-range. After addressing this to the staff members, they acknowledged this and informed that the breakfast area would be enlarged very soon. So something to look forward to. In any case, this will be the hotel of my choice when I return to Milan.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 November 2010

We spent one night due to a La Scala performance, attracted by the fact that it's a brand new hotel, and very centrally located. The location is in fact great. But that's almost the only reason why I could reccomend it to a friend. Upon our arrival, we found out that the hotel garage was too narrow to park our kind of car in it (I had sent an e-mail asking about the garage the day before, and they never mentioned this problem), so we had to take the car to a garage about 500 meters away, which luckily costs 20 Euros per night, compared to the 30 of the hotel garage). The room was a Superior one, but considering the size of it, I would really be curious to know how small a Classic room is). Proper, new furniture, no carpeting, but lots of heavy dust-catching red drapes, terrible for an allergic person like me...Nice marble bathroom, but be careful because the bath tub is so dangerous and high that, if you are not in great shape, you might not be able to climb in, or fall and hurt yourselves. No slippers in a four star hotel sounded a little strange to me, I thought the maid had forgotten to put them in the room, but when I asked at the reception, they said they had "run out of slippers" (after not even 2 months?!). All glasses in the room (bathroom, mini bar) were cheap plastic ones, wrapped up in plastic film (in an environment-friendly, 4 star hotel?!). The bed was altogether ok, but no protection at all between the sheet and the mattress. If by chance you get a phone call and have to write something down, bring your own paper pad, as in the room there isn't any, and even the writing paper in the desk drawer has only got envelopes, no paper sheets at all...
Breakfast was all right, the staff kind to guests, but non professional (one girl was instructing very loudly the other one about what she was supposed, or not, to do).
My opinion about this hotel is that the people who own it are very new in hotel business and that they have started it without having the necessary knowledge about how to run it correctly. The other possibility is that they leave everything in the responsibility of a staff which isn't properly trained. But this, once again, is the owner's mistake. We'll see how and if things will change in the future, an IF they will change at all.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
HMS-Manager, Direttore at Hotel Milano Scala, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2010

Dear Sirs,

We consider each comment about the Guest’s stay at our Hotel, a precious tool to be used in order to improve our hospitality services; complains we get, as far as compliments, enrich our personal experiences always oriented towards customer satisfaction.
We very rarely consider appropriate anwering to the comments left on TripAdvisor, especially when they contain some inaccurances and therefore deserve to be clarified.

• We offer two possibility for the underground parking: the first one is located 30 mt in front of the Hotel entrance and is a totally authomatized underground parking lot at the cost of € 30 per car per night that can be cashed up directly at the Hotel. This parking can store only small-engined cars.
The second one is about 145 mt from the Hotel entrance (and not 500 mt), is an underground parking lot with personel for assistance at the cost of € 20,00 payable directly at the parking cashier and can host big-engined cars as well.
We think that offering in Milan downtown 2 possibilities to store cars is an advantage and not a problem.
• Hotel Milano Scala Superior rooms’ size is 33 square metre; Double classical rooms’size goes from 23 to 26 square metre; superior rooms offer whirlpool bathtub as well and double wide bright windows with balcony. For a 4 star cathergory Hotel this means offering a high standard level.
• Lack of room slippers was poor service we admit it and we could reinstate them only after early November holidays: to be honest we ourselves realized quite late how our courtesy set have been particularly enjoyed by our hosts...maybe because they are appreciated
• Each room is equipped with a blocknote, a pencil (both eco-friendly), envelopes and paper (recycled). These items are displayed in the drawers or in the writing desk. In case they are misplaced or if they lack, our Reception Staff is always more thank willing to provide immediate delivery into the room with the missing item.
• In a Hotel that has been opened for just some weeks it is quite normal that not all the staff has been thoroughly trained and the final steps to the training may occur just during the working shift. We do realize that for the Guests might sound awkward listening to explanations uttered in the same language.
But we do consider that having pin pointed the courtesy and the availability, represents a positive comment for somebody that has just begun one’s career path towards a professional growth.

We would like to thank you for the comments, and we wish to be considered for a much longer than one night future stay in Milan.

The “Hotel Milano Scala” Manager

Reviewed 19 October 2010

i went with my partner whom had a business meeting, and the location was brilliant. it was abiout an hour away from the airport and then we had to get a taxi from Central coach station to the hotel, took about 10min and 8 euros approx.
located on a little side street, the hotel looks small, but when u enter, it is well designed!
quaint and very pleaseant decour. the room was a little cold and it took 2 calls for them to turn the heating up, and then rather hot, but the staff were pleasent and friendly.
not really any views but that wasnt a great issue at all.
the place was very cleana nd we couldnt falt it on that at all. located just behind the main shopping area, everything was very easy to walk to and we didnt need a taxi at all. i wouldnt use this hotel for bars or clubbing. my partner and i enjoyed the cathedral and shopping, but we couldnt find a decent open bar.it didnt matter, becasue it was all a wonderful place to visit!!!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank fats100
Reviewed 10 October 2010

We realized upon check-in they had only been open for 2 weeks, and this became very apprent as the weekend went on. In short, this place will be wonderful once they get all of the kinks worked out, but for what they were asking for a standard double room (300+ euro), we were a bit disappointed.

First, the good... The design features were excellent throughout the public areas and in the room. The rooms, which were small yet space-efficient, contain high-quality linen bedding and the bathrooms area gorgeous. Also, the location was great, close enough to Piazza Duomo, shopping, Castle, Brera dining, shopping, etc.

Next, the not-so-good... we noticed right away that our shower, possibly never been used before, was not working properly (only the wand functioned while the overhead fixture did not, and the door would not close tightly resulting in water all over the floor). We reported the issue shortly after check-in and were told someone would fix it or they would move us. After returning from an afternoon outing, we found that no one had fixed it, and a new person at the desk didn't seem to know anything about it, so we again reported the issue prior to heading out for dinner. By the second day, still nothing had happened so we reported the issue a third time to another person at the front desk. As you probably guessed, no one ever responded to the problem, which we explained again at check-out, and still nothing was offered to us other than a suggestion to send an email to management (we did email when we got home, and there has been no response as of yet, 3 weeks later). Minor annoyances included the towels which were all brand-new, but apparently not yet thoroughly laundered, as they left white towel fuzz all over upon using them. Also, the front desk did could not provide a North American electrical adapter for our use (we had previously stayed in 5 different european hotels in the two weeks prior and all them were able to provide this). The breakfast service was a bit inconsistent (waited a long time for someone to take the coffee order), and the spread was in need of more frequest replenishment of items. It should be noted that as of our stay, the advertised rooftop garden was not yet up and running.

All in all, I feel bad about dwelling on the negatives, but as wonderful as this place could be given the location and design, everything we experienced seemed to be a bit "off." I would consider staying there again only if we knew they had pulled their act together. I can understand things may not run perfectly initially, but the lack of continuity and concern demonstrated by the staff was quite surprising... the hotel was nearly empty, how difficult would it have been to move us to a different room? Fortunately, I thoroughly enjoyed my return to Milan where I had lived for a few months several years back, so the sights, food, people, and beautiful sunny weather more than made up for the sub-par hotel experience. Anyway, I wish this place good luck!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple