“Superb”

Four Seasons Hotel Milano
Ranked #19 of 426 Hotels in Milan
Reviewed 23 September 2012

I loved this hotel. I loved the staff. I loved the location. I loved the restaurant and bar. It was wonderful, wonderful, and we will most definitely be back.
P.S. The room was very modern and Italian and chic. And the bathroom - oh, the bathroom.

Room Tip: We had a very modern, spacious room on the 3rd floor (2nd as Europeans would describe it) with a hug...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Four Seasons Hotel Milano

Reviewed 23 September 2012 via mobile

What a great hotel.Located in the center of Milan with luxurious rooms,excellent service,great food and an amazing spa that I had the best facial treatment I have ever had.Tip: If you cross the street from the main entrance there is a very nice restaurant for lunch

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 17 September 2012

If you are visiting Milan for business or pleasure visit Four Seasons Milan.
Excellent staff, perfect location. Junior suite opening to internal patio is a must.
Excellent atmosphere when you stay during the fashion week. I have met Karl Lagerfeld just having breakfas next to me!!!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 August 2012

Excellent location to explore Milano ,, luxury stay with very comfortable bed and up to date room. Staff is friendly and concierge is very helpful. Food is tasty but quantity isnt enough for fat people ;)

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank Haddawi
Reviewed 18 August 2012

My first trip to Milan, Italy, and to stay on the safe side, I booked a hotel belonging to one of my most trusted luxury hotel brand, the Four Seasons. This almost guarantees the stay can’t go wrong and I will have at the very least a good if not outstanding stay. Yes? Not really, as you should find out soon.

Arriving

I landed at Malpensa Airport after a 12 hour flight from Singapore and took the 30 mins Malpensa Express train to Cardona station, then hop on a cab to the Four Seasons. On arriving, I was surprised by the very unstated and small entrance. It’s looks kind of “motel” like. I have to double check the signboard to make sure it is indeed a Four Seasons hotel and yes, it is.

Check-in wasn’t smooth. I arrived at the hotel at 9:30AM and was assured 2 days earlier by my travel agent that the hotel have granted me an early check-in, a very necessary arrangement due to jet lag. Unfortunately, the receptionist desk was occupied for nearly 20 mins by a couple bitterly complaining that Milan is almost “empty” and everywhere is closed. Well, their fault for not checking earlier. Then they demanded to shorten their stay and argue for a lower room rate. All that was for very annoying. When it was my turn to check-in, the staff told me it will take another 10-15 mins before the room is ready. After that, the staff escorted me to my “Junior Suite”. Upgrade was denied as per FSPP amenity, excuse being the hotel is “full”. I highly doubt that as this is the low season in Milan and guessed he didn’t bother to check. Anyway, small matter.

The Room

I booked a Junior Suite which basically is just a larger version of their deluxe / premier room. The room signature feature are the nice French windows that overlooking the green courtyard. That’s nice, but the rest of the room is just very plain. The furniture have seen better days and there’s evident wear and tear due to years of disrepair. If this hotel is in Asia cities like Singapore or Hong Kong, the hotel will have a tough time selling this as a 4-star hotel room, much less a luxury 5 star hotel room. The bathroom is however quite nice and I think recently renovated. There’s a shower room with good water pressure, a bidet ( strange thing to have ), a toilet and large sinking tub decked out in nice white marble. The floor is heated, a nice touch but unnecessary in the summer heat.

The bed is quite comfortable and provides a good night sleep. Linens however are of a lesser quality than other Four Seasons bed I have experienced. There’s no dental kit as expected of European hotels, but there’s also no complimentary coffee or mineral water, an omission I find glaring for a Euro850++ per night hotel room. There’s a complimentary fruit plate and the usual welcome letters pre-printed instead of hand written. Mini-bar is of course very expensive.

There are many other drawbacks besides the missing amenities. Worst is the sound-proofing of the room. I can hear the conversation going on at next room and also sound from the outside hallway, make worst by female hotel staff with their high heels exaggerated by the wooden floors. Thankfully, it was relatively noiseless during the night or maybe I am just too tired from the jet lag. The hotel is 20 years old and it is not expected to have the sound-proofing standards of modern hotel buildings, but at the very least, they could possibly have carpeted the hallway? Internet is provided free but it’s slow and you are only allowed to connect one device. For faster internet, that will be 25 euros additional charge. I opted to pay for the later.

The Common Areas and Location

The hotel has a very boutique feel to it. It’s basically a converted monastery. There aren’t many facilities. There’s a small gym with a Spa, one lounge, two restaurants, one of which is closed except for dinner. The rooms are arranged around a central courtyard with the rooms facing the courtyard at the ground level being more desirable.

I had an early dinner and morning breakfast at the Verandah restaurant and the food is nice, but not particularly outstanding. Love those cute little bottles of jam they served during breakfast though, and excellent latte coffee.

The hotel has a good location, steps away from the shopping haven of Montenapolena and within waking distance to the Duomo, the Galleria Vittorio and the famous La Scalla opera house. Unfortunately, most shops and restaurants are closed bar a handful of them.

Staying at a Four Seasons almost always guarantee good service. At least that’s what my experience told me, having stayed at Four Seasons properties in Hong Kong, Tokyo, London, Singapore and Bali. However, the service at Four Seasons Milano is distinctly meh… Not to say they are bad or rude, no, the staff are always polite and attentive. However, there’s just no “oomph factor”.

Typical of my travels in Europe, I will write in to the Concierge for information but I find their responses most of the time to be curt and short, requiring further clarification. I asked them to book a train ticket to Zurich and requested a window seat but was assigned a seat furthest from the window.

Service requests usually take quite a bit of time. There’s a notice of water supply disruption when I checked in but thankfully that has been fixed prior my check-in. Unfortunately, there was power supply disruption during my stay as the power tripped three times. And each time, the power was back on shortly but only the lightings and aircon and lighting and plugs don’t work. It took them the whole day to fix it and each time I was assured the problem has been fixed only to have it happened again. Such problems shouldn’t even happened at a 3-star, much less a 5-star property.

I decided to cut short my stay and move over to the Armani which was a short walk away. The reception staff checking me out seems surprised by my early departure and asked how was my stay. I re-iterated the problems with the power supply failure and the sound-proofing issues. In response he gave a shrug and said he “hope to see me again” in future. What??? I am always bemused by hotel staff asking how was my stay and then proceed to ignore any complaints and feedback given in response. What’s the point of asking me then when there were no plans for any concrete action to follow up, other than to indulge in useless superficial courtesy to patronize the paying guest?

A word about visiting Milan in August

August is the month of summer holidays and Milan is very empty. Most shops and almost all the good restaurants are closed while everyone goes on vacation. Some tourist attraction like the Duomo and selected shops at the Galleria Vittorila are opened. I will advise against anyone visiting Milan during August unless on business or you don’t mind just visiting the tourist and cultural sites and can do without the shopping and dining options.

Conclusion

The Four Seasons Milan disappoints on many aspects. The rooms are ageing, dull and in dire need of an overhaul. The amenities were lacking, serious soundproofing issues in the room. The service is nothing to shout about, especially for a Four Seasons. It’s surprising how little value it offers for the rates paid. No wonder most of the guests are retirees that trusted the Four Seasons name. It’s misplaced trust in this case and this Four Seasons easily ranked as the worst of all the Four Seasons properties I have stayed. One can certainly do much better in Milan than to pay for top rates for much mediocrity. I doubt if I return to Milan again I will choose to stay here.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
6  Thank BENLEE123
Reviewed 16 August 2012

Another wonderfull hotel by Four Seasons.Restaurnats and bar with an attentive service. The staff took a special care of us and made our stay so memorable. It's really good hotel with the professionals only

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 15 August 2012

I stayed with many four seasons in different countries. Staying with the Milano one was impressive, from price perspective, but not that impressive from the quality perspective. Maybe that's because it's not a very newly built or decorated hotel, so facilities were not that good. However, the services were good. Breakfast was awesome also. Location is also very convenient as it is close to many boutigue stores.

Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family