“Great location, but rooms in need of some TLC”

Sheraton Diana Majestic Hotel
Ranked #122 of 428 Hotels in Milan
Chicago, Illinois
“Great location, but rooms in need of some TLC”
Reviewed 21 May 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights while visiting Milan and while we found the location to be convenient (within walking distance of restaurants & shops) and the hotel to be functional, it wasn't anything special. The staff were friendly enough, but the room itself was in desperate need of new carpeting & a fresh coat of paint. The bathroom had actually been renovated, but the rest of the room just seemed old and tired. I think this could be a nice hotel if they just freshened up the rooms a bit.

We had a room facing the street and were actually glad for that because there seemed to be events taking place in the garden until quite late at night. I think the street was less noisy than the garden.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Starwood M, General Manager at Sheraton Diana Majestic Hotel, responded to this review, 12 June 2012
Dear adair578,
Thank you for choosing the Sheraton Diana majestic and for sharing your opinion on Tripadvisor.
We are pleased to know that our staff was functional and friendly enough . Most of our rooms have been updated within the last few years, but it is an on going process for our hotel and we are planning anyway a complete restoration in the nearest future. We hope to have the chance to welcome you and your husband again in our hotel!
kindest regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed 19 May 2012 via mobile

The location is very good, very nice terraces and night bar. The regular rooms though are not necessarily at good value for money and pay attention when you check out - it takes ages...
if you order a taxi, order it 2 minutes before the end of the check out or you will have a fare with 5-10 eur more due to the waiting time.

Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Dear RaduMBucharest,
Thanks for your compliments about our location in particular for your opinion about our terrace and bar! In summer and spring all Milanese people (and not only) come here to enjoy our fantastic aperitivo!
Usually our check out is very efficient, it could be that on your check out day the systems were not working properly and we apologize for it. Thank you so much for staying with us, we hope to see you in the near future.
have a great day !
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 8 May 2012

I spent one night at this fantastic hotel: since you enter you can "smell" the history of the great city of Milan: staff is very welcoming, smiling and professional. Lobby and public areas are tastefully and charmingly decorated. My room, a classic one, was very comfortable, extremely clean and functional. Food is of utmost quality as well as the service. Fitness facilities are new and well equipped. Definitively the best choice to stay in Milan if you look for a real classic experience of the Italian/Milanese hospitality.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank marco c
Starwood M, General Manager at Sheraton Diana Majestic Hotel, responded to this review, 9 May 2012
Dear Marco C.
Thank you really for the fantastic words and comments on the Diana ! We are an historical property , being an hotel since more than 100 years, with the pride of being part of the history of Milan since the beginning of the century. Before being an Hotel, the Diana Garden was the first public swimming pool in Milan, opened in 1842, with a pool 100m long and 25 m wide. There were 120 changing rooms, showers, part rooms a restaurant and of course the magnificent garden . In 1908 the Diana became and hotel, theatre and restaurant, and since then was the fashionable meeting place of generations of Milanese and distinguished travelers. It was the 1st Hotel to have a telephone in each room in 1912. The story is very long and still continues, now with modern accents like wifi and internet in all the hotel, the Sheraton by Core Performance fitness, but still with the magnificent garden and still the meeting point of Milanese and travellers coming from all over the world. Glad you enjoyed all the atmosophere, hope to see you soon and continue the story of the Diana !
Melbourne
Reviewed 30 April 2012

Rooms are well worn. Noise from the bar echoes through to hotel rooms. 20 minutes walk to Duomo. Nothing special.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Starwood M, General Manager at Sheraton Diana Majestic Hotel, responded to this review, 8 May 2012
greetings and thank you for taking the time to review our hotel ! we are sorry that this stay has not been up to your expecations : the Diana is located in a charming residential area at 15 -20 min walking to Duomo or 10 min metro ride . We have started to refurbish our hotel rooms , executive rooms and a part of garden view rooms have been renovated recently. We do hope to have the chance to welcome you again to our hotel!
Houston
Reviewed 28 April 2012

The restaurant and bar in the hotel are gorgeous and first rate. The gardens are beautiful and the patio is lovely. Beds are comfortable and our room had great views. Location cannot be beat. Gym is small but adequate. Rooms are sparse but clean and utilitarian.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Greetings from Milan ! We are delighted to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us and that you benefit from the atmosphere of our lush garden and from the fine food of our restaurant which directly draws on the Italian gastronomic tradition.
Thank you so much for staying with us, we hope to see you in the near future.
Miami
Reviewed 17 April 2012

Good overall, nothing really that outstanding. Good sleep, good location. One added good point is the happening bar in the lobby with some buzz. Its good when alone for business for a drink or to bring over colleagues. Still remember the white pasta with black peppercorn for the aperitivo which i thought was really cheap but good value for money i guess at the end.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
Dear Xobellas,thank you for taking the time to write you review and for the points that you have outlined : location, locals coming to the hotel bar & garden, the possibility to relax in a live place after a full day at work. We are glad you enjoyed the pasta of the happy hour, actually is a typical dish from Roman cuisine with Pecorino cheese and pepper, which is very tasty.
Hope to see you back !
Kansas
Reviewed 16 April 2012

My visit to Milan started off on a bad note before I even entered this hotel. I took a taxi from the central train station, which is a little over two kilometers. Shortly after entering the taxi, and without my knowing it, the driver turned off the meter. When we arrived at the hotel, he wanted to charge me 25 euros. After I told him he was nuts, he lowered it to 20 euros. We argued a while longer, and after a lengthy stalemate, I realized he would not go below 15 euros. Shortly after entering the hotel, I realized that in my haste to get out of the taxi, I left my mobile phone behind. Stupido!

This is where the excellence begins. The hotel staff immediately started to assist in retrieving my phone. After checking in and leaving my luggage in the lobby, I headed back to the train station to see if the taxi driver had also returned. No luck in finding him. When I returned to the hotel, I learned that their efforts paid off, and that they found the driver, and my phone. I cannot imagine another 4 days of travel across Europe without it. I also found my luggage safely stowed in my room.

The excellence does not stop there. Every time I had a question or request, I was met with the professional friendliness that is normally reserved for the best of the 5-star hotels. I cannot say enough about how impressed I was with the entire staff at this hotel.

Rooms – I was in a single off the back of the hotel. It was very tastefully appointed with a smack of old world luxury. If you are looking for ultra-modern, this is not your place. I was looking for the comfortable, but classic European luxury. This is the place. The room was plenty spacious, and the bed was the most comfortable I’ve had in my prior 7 days in Europe. The room was very clean, and did not show signs of wear. The hotel was the same. Prior posts indicate a fair level of noise from the street, I noticed this as well, but it was nothing to keep me awake at night.

Location – It is a block off the metro which allows the ease of reaching most places in Milan. It is also a block from the end of Corso Buenos Aires, which I would equate to Michigan Avenue in Chicago. Plenty of shopping and fantastic restaurants.

Value – for the price I paid, I cannot imagine a better hotel. I will definitely make this my first choice whenever I visit Milano. And I will make sure that I tell my business colleagues the same.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank DaddyYo
Dear DaddyYo, Thank you for this outstanding review on our Hotel and staff! We are glad we have made the difference during your business trip. Our main goal is not only to offer an outstanding service but to make people feel at ease and in a warm environment when travelling : being away from home is not always easy, and in a foreign country could be difficult when you have a problem. Your review regarding the hotel fully explains the Diana : historical hotel with Sheraton trademark ( sweet sleeper beds), central location in a residential area of Milan. Thank you again and see you soon then !