“Very Grand Hotel”

Grand Hotel et de Milan
Ranked #7 of 428 Hotels in Milan
Reviewed 6 February 2014

Spent three days. Was upgraded to gorgeous suite (Duse suite), excellent service all around. Unbeatable location and loved the old world charm and history. Good meals in Caruso and the very flexible Lobby Bar. Surprisingly nice and complete gym (with huge windows). Would definitely return

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
mpage, Direttore generale at Grand Hotel et de Milan, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for giving us the feedback of your stay at the Grand Hotel Et De Milan. It is a pleasure that you appreciated your accommodation as well as the historic atmosphere we always try to preserve.

We are also delighted that you had the time to enjoy our Gerry’s Bar and the Caruso Restaurant, finding your experience there positive.

Your comments are always helpful in order to keep doing our best to satisfy our customers’ needs.

Looking forward to welcoming you again soon, I send you my best regards.

Antonio Cailotto

Reviewed 28 January 2014 via mobile

I visited this hotel in milan for 2days biz trip and i was quite disappointed. The room was extremely small and i honestly can't accept a room that was roughly 10sqm when i book a 5stars L hotel. The room on 1st floor didn't have any view and no space even for luggage. location is great but having stayed in the park hyatt milan or principe di savoia, I have to say this hotel is far behind them. First time and last time here.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank trmltrotter
mpage, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Grand Hotel et de Milan, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2014

Dear Guest,

We are truly sorry to learn that your experience at the Grand Hotel et de Milan was not up to your expectations; in particular we want to express our sincerest apologies if the accomodation provided was not quite quite spacious and comfortable. Our Hotel is the most historic of Milan and so it has preserved features and space configuration of an 18th Century Milanese Mansion: as a result, few of our rooms are in fact of reduced size.

In case you take into consideration to visit us again in the future may we kindly ask you to contact me directly and we will make sure that you are well looked after and assigned a nice and spacious accommodation.

Moreno Pagetto
Executive Assistant Manager

Reviewed 26 January 2014

In a world of many beautiful Luxury hotels we found the Grand Hotel et de Milan to really stand out with its unique charm & character - the excellent staff were all very courteous & always helpful - we had a wonderful, memorable stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
mpage, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Grand Hotel et de Milan, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Dear Guest,

We thank you for your great comment about our Hotel, we are glad that you regarded your experience as charming and unique; your words are precious and motivate us to always do better.

Looking forward to welcoming you again soon at the Grand Hotel et de Milan and renewing our thanks, we send you our best regards.

Moreno Pagetto
Executive Assistant Manager

Reviewed 24 January 2014

Having left Milan after 11 years living and working in the city the Grand Hotel et de Milan is our first choice when we return. It is ideally located at the heart of the fashion district but within easy reach of major tourist attractions i.e the Duomo. The hotel has a historic past and manages to combine this with the luxury required from a 5 star hotel. Staff are attentive and professional but not intrusive. It is always a pleasure to return.

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear of the hotel are quieter
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 January 2014

I enjoyed to stay in this hotel. Thank you very much to the hotel team for making my stay in Milan memorable. I think location of this hotel is best for everything, for shopping, for business and etc..

Room Tip: Room was excellent.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Skoosh
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Since I stayed with a number of 5 star hotels in Milan, and I can easily compare it, in my opinion it is worth it.
Of course the opinions of each is bias and depends on the taste of the client. We stayed a number of times in Maria Callas room 114, In Enrico Caruso 306, and I believe in Luchino Visconti, as well as the regular suits. Out of all the rooms I preferred Maria Callas which is extremely cosy, charming, has a balcony that looks out on the street opposite to Montenapoleone so you can have some peace. The room has very high ceilings as most of them in this hotel, and since I love space and light it is crucial for me.
I never tried the breakfast, so I can not comment on the experience, however, we had a room service a number of times and the pasta as well as the fish cooked in the hotel were quite okay. Of course it is not on the level of the favorite restaurant and can be improved, however better then in some other hotels.
The lounge downstairs is cosy and charming. At some point we requested a DVD player and it was immediately delivered as well as tea and coffee.
The location is without any doubt one of the best in the city. You are 3 minutes away by walking from Montenapoleone , 10 from San Babila and La scala, 15 from Brera, and 20 from Castello.
A nice touch was a gift certificate to Belstaff store. Significant enough to inspire to purchase. Gifts as such I am sure are greatly appreciated by the clients, and are beneficial collaboration for both the fashion brand and the Hotel.

One suggestion for improvement is front desk service, front desk, front desk. I can not stress it enough. It depends on the shift some staff is wonderful but some is just not. Italy is famous for poor customer service and I am accustomed to that, in fact my tolerance in Italy is quite high comparing to other countries. However, it would make a huge difference if people on the front desk would smile, and attend to your needs with a positive attitude, rather then the attitude of doing you a favor. They do not need to be overly imposing or attentive, because oftentimes its difficult to tolerate especially after a long flight. But they could be sweet, friendly and unintrusive, ready to help when needed, and ready to leave you in peace when you do not want to answer a question of how was your flight and where did you come from.
I in general believe that in Italy some basic psychology training in customer service could be an amazing thing. However, for the 5 years that I am here it is nowhere to be found. And yet, it is changing a lot and getting better in that sense.

I am returning to the hotel quite frequently in this period, and would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
mpage, Direttore at Grand Hotel et de Milan, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for kindly sharing your impressions on your recent stay at the Grand Hotel et de Milan.

It is a pleasure to learn that you enjoyed the strategic location and unique atmosphere of our Hotel; we would also like to thank you for your kind and detailed description of the rooms in particular the one dedicated to Maria Callas.

We absolutely agree with you that the staff should always smile and receive guests with a positive attitude; to this regard please accept our sincere apologies if some member of our staff had a detached approach. Please rest assured that we will take the necessary steps to improve our customer attendance as you kindly suggested.

Looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you soon again, we send you our best regards.

Antonio Cailotto

Reviewed 4 January 2014

I have stayed in quite a few 5 star hotels….Grand Hotel et de Milan stands out for me. Great staff, awesome atmosphere and right in the middle of Milano city centre. I initially booked Four Seasons in my last trip, but later changed for Grand Hotel…it was a perfect choice.

Give it a try during you next trip to Milan…highly recommended. You will get everyone bet of the 5 star experience and extra.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo