“The best I've stayed in”

Grand Hotel et de Milan
Ranked #10 of 428 Hotels in Milan
Reviewed 13 July 2009

We went to Milan, to see Aida, at L'Escala for our 25th wedding anniversary.
The hotel was recommended by a friend.
We had very high expectations of the hotel.
In all aspects it met or exceeded our expectations.
We had a deluxe room, with a separate dressing area, very big bathroom, and a small living area.
The food and service were both superb.
What really made it was the staff. We were always greeted with a smile.
Nothing was too much trouble. They were most efficient and friendly.
An example was lunch, on the first day. My wife was undecided between two dishes; next thing the waiter arrived with a little plate of each, so she could choose
I travel a lot, on business, all over the world and would rate this hotel as one of the best, if not the top hotels I have stayed in
It is expensive, but worth every penny for that special occasion

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank cbdodger

Reviewed 12 December 2008

What a wonderful, wonderful experience, I will most definately be using this as my home away from home. A very big thankyou to all the staff for their professionalism and hospitality in reception, concierge and in the bar, I especially extend this to the front office manager who gave me a lovely airy room with ample space, but that said I did think this room could have a slight refreshment. and the standard of cleanliness in general could be higher. overall this is a hotel I would highly reccomend.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank sarahtomjanan
Reviewed 11 November 2008

I have stayed there few times during last years but will not stay again before they remodel the rooms.
The hotel lobby and service are luxurious but not the rooms. The rooms have unxepectedly simple furniture and those are even little dated.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
mpage, Moreno Pagetto, Executive Assistant Manager at Grand Hotel et de Milan, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2009

Thank you for your review on your recent stay with us; We would like to express our most sincerest apologies for the poor impression and inform you that we have recently started a total restyling of the hotel rooms.

With the hope that you will not hold this past experience against us may we ask you to let us know when you will be next staying with us so that we make sure that a newly redecorated room is allocated for your stay.

I hope that despite this past experience we will have the pleasure of your return visit where I will personally make sure that you have a most pleasant stay.

Reviewed 1 October 2008

We enjoyed the room and the Hotel a quiet oasis in a hot and bustling city. The quality of the hotel and its furnishings is high and the food good although breakfast here is more limited than at some hotels essentially cold continental. The area around has few charms but you are only 10 minutes to the Duomo and also the Gallerie Victor Emmanuelle, a good restaurant near here is Papa Fransesco's, excellent Osso Bucco a Milanese speciality.
We would use again if wanting a Milan city centre hotel.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Grj
Reviewed 20 June 2008

1. It's a fabulous hotel set in the heart of the city.
2. Paying €12 for a cup of tea sours the experience.
3. On balance I wouldn't go back.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 January 2008

I have stayed here a number of times in recent years.
Key is the location - cannot be improved (although it can be noisy as reported by some). The key to this place is that it is THE grand old hotel of Milan and is of considerable importance in the history of the city (Verdi, Callas et al - the connection to La Scala is very strong) but it is not a 5* establishment.
The rooms vary and come in different shapes and sizes and some are much better than others. I personally find most of them perfectly adequate (4* standard) and enjoy the atmosphere (compared to the Park hyatt for example) but I can see some may be put off if they come with very high expectations. That said, it is usually quite a bit cheaper than 4Seasons, Bulgari or Park Hyatt.
On the issue of breakfast: don't waste your money (this is true for any hotel in Milan). Walk 50 yards into a bar and you will get much better for half the price.
I find this a good choice but know it's not a deluxe hotel - rather a first-class piece of history. Probably not suited for most American travellers who look for modcons rather than atmosphere.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Gastronauta
Reviewed 9 December 2007

Dont usually stay in Milan overnight, usually an in and out job in the day - always on business, wouldnt come as a Tourist

My company stays here a lot on Business, it is one of the better Milan hotels at an ok sort of price

Milan is very, very expensive for reasonable hotels. This one cost 290 Euro's (Breakfast 30 Euro's on top) for a loft style room (with balcony - that you can just about see out of).

The reception were fine - very professional
Lifts small but ok
The Hotel has a feel of ancient opulence, you get a warm feeling in the bar area - I liked the place but did find it a little 'stuffy'

Room was small but adequate - bed comfortable

Bathroom of a high standard

Overall room was good, nothing special though

For the price of 290 Euro's if it was my money I'd expect a lot more - certainly a room much bigger that you had a bit more space

I ordered room service Breakfast - this was a bit of let-down as the quality wasnt really there and as such I didnt eat anything - i would have given it a 4 rating had it not been for a poor breakfast

The hotel is centrally located in Milan - fairly easy to find a decent restaurant if your walking

I'd stay here again if it was on business, as there are far worse hotels in Milan but would never stay on Tourist money. Hotel is maybe about 50% overpriced

Stayed: December 2007