“Off the wall in the best possible way”

Antica Locanda Solferino
Ranked #249 of 430 Hotels in Milan
Reviewed 11 December 2013

I don't normally stay in hotels like this, but it was a last minute business trip and there were a lot of rooms taken in Milan. However, that was my good fortune! ALS is small and intimate. The location is sensational, minutes away from La Scala and lots of great restaurants. My feelings towards the hotel is more in line with LouiseN_10 than dpatters. Everyone on duty at reception at various times of the day were bang on for courtesy and helpfulness. They got me a late ticket for the San Siro for 5 Euros! The rooms were full of character, large and well appointed. Bathrooms were fine with the showers hot and powerful. Breakfast was the best; beautiful fresh orange juice, fruit, top notch coffee and croissants to die for. Get the staff to recommend a good local restaurant, there are lots and they are keen to help. But...leave the fabulous Peruvian housekeeper/cook alone...she's mine and I love her!

Room Tip: I used two rooms at either end of the floor. Both were excellent. Both had balconies and both were n...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

4. Very nice and helpful staff
5. Short walking distance to the Metro station
6. There are many good restaurants around
7. Short walking distance to the famous attractions

Room Tip: The room with balcony was very nice in this hotel!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank peipeigutgut
Reviewed 31 May 2013

One of the previous reviews stated that staying at this hotel was like stepping into the past. That could not have been more true. Douglas warmly greeted my colleague and I and settled us into our rooms. One immediately felt like this was their apartment in Milan. The furniture was authentic. The rooms were spotless. The overall decor was warm and comfortable. The breakfast, which is brought to your room is perfect. Freshly squeezed orange juice, melted hot chocolate, light and fluffy rolls and more. This was the nicest hotel I have stayed at in Milan.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 April 2013

The hotel fulfills all wishes you might have for a pleasant stay.
Nothing more to add.
Beware of the street noise. Keep earplugs with you or take the ones provided by the hotel.
Street cleaning trucks 1am.
Garbage collection 2am.
Empty bottle collection 3am.
Crazy Italians !

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Stefan B
Reviewed 31 October 2012

I am writing this review in response to dpatters "nice but not quite up to expectations". OK he's a senior contributor and stays in a lot of places, so have I but I don't often review them. I want to comment on ALS. It is reminiscent of a time gone bye, another era, another world. My husband and I stayed here and we absolutely LOVED it. My husband doesn't necessarily like antiques, old places, lack of modern facilities but he actually loved this place and the Brera area and Milan. For me it was like staying in a true Pensione, something out of "A Room with a View". The breakfast was served in the room but it was excellent. The bathroom was fantastic (clean, decent size, great shower, etc etc.) and the room we stayed in overlooked the front street and had a balcony.....it was delightful. Stefan was the guy on the counter and could not have been more helpful.
I couldn't disagree more with the previous commentator, it lived up to my expectations, I was thrilled to stay here, I loved the atmosphere and ambience of this place, the surrounding area and Milan. I have travelled all over the world, stayed in some of the best hotels (I was Groups and Tours Co-ordinator for a chain of International hotels) but for me this was a real Italian experience and would love to return again. I am just so pleased that these sort of places still exist and that we all have a choice where we can stay. Thank you Antica Locanda Solferino.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LouiseN_10
Reviewed 17 September 2012

I have tried for years to get into this hotel. I finally succeeded with a last minute offer. The hotel is located about 12 minutes walk from La Scala, so the location cannot be bettered. I reserved a double room for single use at a price of 150 euros (got the price on the internet. Better than the posted rate). This is not inexpensive. Doubles at larger, more modern hotels are often available for 175 euros. I mention this because while the ALS is charming in its way, its not exactly great value. As mentioned, the location is good but what else? The staff, to the extent there is one, is attentive. I arrived mid-afternoon at the hotel and hit the buzzer. A voice welcomed me and opened the door. A nice man who was clearly not the owner appeared and checked me in. He was efficient and friendly. Then he disappeared. The desk in the "lobby" (more on that in a moment) is not manned. You have to call (a number is provided) or buzz for someone. The "lobby" is just a counter and a few chairs. 4 people with luggage would fill the entire space. The rooms are up a narrow set of stairs. I saw one other room (on the front) and it was very sunlit and inviting. My room was on the interior side of the building and it was quiet. The furnishings (apart from the flat screen TV) were vintage and decaying nicely. There are too few outlets on the walls (I had trouble finding a place to plug in my computer). Bathroom amenities were minimal and the shower was of university dormitory quality. The water pressure was great and there was plenty of hot water. Breakfast was served in the room because there is no breakfast room. This is annoying because I always like a second cappuccino and I had to ask for it. Breakfast was a brioche, freshly-suqeezed orange juice, and coffee. No fruit was offered. I needed a taxi early and one was ordered for me by the young lady who are my breakfast. The neighborhood around the hotel is the Brera and it's wonderful. I lost my way home and asked a group of gentlemen standing outside a posh restaurant for help. They were very kind, pulling out their Samsung Galaxy smartphones and mapping my way. I wondered who they were guarding but I did not have long to wait to find out. As I turned to go in the direction of my hotel, I saw the profile of Silvio Berlusconi in conversation at a small table just inside the restaurant. So, all in all, the ALS was nice, interesting, but a bit expensive. Would I go back again? Maybe. But only if Berlusconi eats somewhere else.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the street
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank dpatters
Reviewed 30 December 2011

This hotel is a former palace with lovely rooms, some with terraces. The staff was friendly and helpful and we enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family