“Lovely and Elegant”

Ranked #9 of 428 Hotels in Milan
Madison, Wisconsin
“Lovely and Elegant”
Reviewed 16 February 2012

The Principe is a lovely, elegant hotel that is well suited to the well heeled traveler. The rooms are lovely and extremely spacious by European standards. Our bathroom was wonderful and much larger and brighter than we expected. Beds and linens are first rate and the Acqua di Parma bath products fantastic. We also appreciated their free shuttle service to the Duomo. Note: We stayed in the old building and do not know what the newer Towers rooms are like-- that building certainly looks less charming from the outside. We found the concierge service excellent, housekeeping didn't miss anything- truly perfect, the food at breakfast was delightful, and the pool/fitness area wonderful. This hotel is costly, but truly delivers a five star experience. I can only think of two criticisms. The first is that the staff were all extremely professional and polite, but not especially warm. They had a stiffness that I don't associate with Italians. It may be because the hotel is trying to be so stately and formal. I was disappointed because we were staying at the hotel to celebrate a special event and I had hoped the hotel might acknowledge it. I had sent a message beforehand about our celebration and our travel agent had also written it on our itinerary, which the clerk read while we were checking in. But it was never acknowledged at all. Of course, the hotel has no obligation in this regard. But I thought a customer service oriented property like this might at least look up and say "happy birthday" when we were checking in or send some trivial thing to the room. They did not. Yet they did provide us with a perfect room. The only thing that rubbed me the wrong way was the unnecessary mark-up of food. At luxury properties, we do expect to pay top dollar. But they charged 32 Euros ($42) for a very ordinary smoked salmon sandwich at the bar; the only reasonable food option for my young child was a plain cheese pizza priced at 24 Euros with a bottle of mineral water at 9 Euros. That sort of thing seems silly, especially when the bar snacks are quite ordinary and guests are already paying top dollar for the rooms. My suggestion is to stay at the hotel, but eat at one of the many fantastic and reasonably priced restaurants nearby. I will certainly return to this hotel when next in Milan.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
PrincipediSavoia, Director of Sales at Hotel Principe Di Savoia, responded to this review, 7 March 2012
Dear Guest,
thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor.
As we do our best to provide the comforts of a luxury experience to our valued guests, I am glad to hear that you were satisfied with your room.
Please be assured that your comments will be taken into account as we strive to provide the best service to our customers.

Best Regards
Director of Sales & Marketing
Hotel Principe di Savoia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Athens
Reviewed 13 February 2012

Got great corp rate. Brilliant hotel. Rooms are tiny, but very nice and grande

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
PrincipediSavoia, Director of Sales at Hotel Principe Di Savoia, responded to this review, 15 February 2012
Dear Ioannis,

Thank you so much for choosing Principe di Savoia for your stay in Milan.
We are glad you enjoyed our hotel and hope to welcome you back upon your next visit.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 February 2012

A very nice hotel in Milan. Rooms were modern and clean. Good layout, not too small. Lounge area was nice, bar quite good. Overall a nice hotel that is very comfortable and livable in the heart of the city.

• Stayed January 2012
PrincipediSavoia, Manager at Hotel Principe Di Savoia, responded to this review, 10 February 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for choosing Principe di Savoia for your stay in Milan, and for sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor.
I am grateful for your kind comments as exceptional service is what we strive and like to be known for.

I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to your Milanese home upon your next trip to Milan.

Vancouver, BC
Reviewed 5 February 2012

We travelled to Milano last summer, August 2011. This is the "slow" tourist time, but we enjoyed it, we didn't think it was too quiet although the city was not bustling. We loved loved loved this grande, luxury hotel. A truly 5-star experience! We stayed in room 625 which was one of the bigger suites that we paid extra for. The bathroom and dressing area complete with a large walk in closet which was more like a small room was perfect for me - I can't get ready in confined, small spaces. The concierage was great and so helpful and truly caring to us. They have a wonderful limo which is the gree ten-minute shuttle to the shops. Yes - the shops- Gucci, Prada, Gelato - oooohhhhhh I miss Italia! The hotel also had an excellent gym. It had four treadmills, weight equipment and a couple of other cardio marchines. The lobby has free coffee and chocolates in the morning. If I had to pick any negatives, it would be super difficult but one would be that our TV kept on freezing (but I was too in love in the room to dare complain) and the gym opened late, although that is quite common in Europe.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind comments and pictures. We do our best to provide our Guests with a unique experience of comfort and service.
It will be my pleasure to pass your review to our concierge team.

We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back. When you do, please let us know if you see any flaws in your room. It will be our pleasure to assist you.

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2012

Having stayed here a couple of times - 3rd floor corner room, I can only give an unqualified

recommendation. Beautiful big room with super old fashioned quality , a pleasure to be in. I just love the old, classic city centre hotels and this is one of the best. Service,ambiance you name it. The breakfasts are absolutley divine - the room ,the food, the service. Limousine service is a great help in the inevitable shopping. The garage and valet parking service were excellent and enthusiastic , as you would expect being italian, in looking after my classic Alfa Romeo.

Room Tip: corner rooms have 2 windows and are bigger.
Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for choosing Principe di Savoia for your stay in Milan, and for sharing your feedback.
I am grateful for your kind comments and suggestions to other travellers.

London
Reviewed 27 January 2012

A really luxurious grand hotel. I stayed there during the winter sales, and Milan as well as the Principe di Savoia was overrun with nouveau riche shoppers from Eastern Europe. Staff throughout my stay were very friendly and helpful, whether the receptionists at check-in, the gym or the staff at breakfast. The room was fresh and very nicely appointed, with lovely soft furnishings, a marble-clad bathroom and great toiletries. If I had to criticise anything, it would perhaps be that the mattress and pillows were too firm for my taste. Very elegant foyer and restaurant. The breakfast buffet was very good, with a wide choice and quality ingredients. The gym and pool area on the top floor was also great. It's an easy 10 minute walk to the shopping area and centre, but I used the limousine service a few times, which was very convenient. Overall a fantastic hotel of which I have fond memories.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
Dear Guest,
we really appreciate your comment. Thank you for sharing it on Tripadvisor.
Outstanding service is what we strive and like to be known for.

Next time you visit us, do feel free to report your preferences in regards to bed and pillow. We'll do our best to find the solution that best suits your needs.

I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back,
Yours sincerely