“Very good, needs refurbishment”

Hotel Principe Di Savoia
Ranked #7 of 428 Hotels in Milan
Sofia
“Very good, needs refurbishment”
Reviewed 24 October 2012

We stayed for just one night on our way to Genova and got a spacious suit with elegant but rather worn furniture. All was perfect exept for not being able to turn off the air conditioning, which caused me to sniff all the day after. The hotel restaurant surprised me with an excellent risotto and quality wine. The complimentary shuttle transport to city centre is a nice option but needs to be more frequent and with a prolonged time zone. The hotel as an overall impression has a good potential, but needs some vital improvements to become a real sensation.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Milena P
PrincipediSavoia, General Manager at Hotel Principe Di Savoia, responded to this review, 29 October 2012
Dear Milena P,
thank you for your review about the Hotel Principe di Savoia.
I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the hotel and the restaurant.
I do hope that you reported the issue with the air conditioning and that we at least tried to assist you with that.

Your comment about your room has been duly noted. I imagine that you stayed in the secondary "tower" building, since all the rooms in the main building have recently been completely refurbished. We are presently taking action to ensure that for the future your stay will be impeccable.

We hope to welcome you back again in the future, maybe for a stay of two or more nights that will give you the opportunity to take advantage of all our services.

General Manager - Hotel Principe di Savoia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 24 October 2012

The hotel is simply beautiful in the real classic Italian conception.
The rooms are spacious furnished with antique furniture, the bathroom was very spaciuous as well and all in marble. But the best of all was the quality of the bed. Just didn't want to leave it.....
The bar is worth a visit. Cocktail are aorund 20€ but they are excellent and are served with a great variety of snacks. The staff was helpful and friendly. Breakfast was tops. Make sure you book a rate that includes breakfast (orderd alone, it is 45€). Location could not have been better. Within walking distance of all th "great" spots.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Frieda S,
thank you for sharing your comments about the Hotel Principe di Savoia.
I am happy that you loved your accomodation, for in our guestrooms we take great care of every detail. And the bed is no secondary aspect!
It is also a great reward for us when our Guests take the time to try our services, such as the bar, the spa or the limo shuttle service. So thanks again for your kind words.

We do hope to welcome you back again soon here in Milan.
Calgary,Alberta,canada
Reviewed 23 October 2012

To end a month long trip to italy, my husband booked the Romance Package at the Principe di Savoia hotel in Milan. This was an outstanding hotel, on every level. We had a beautiful junior suite...gorgeous drapes, linens and furniture.This package included champagne, strawberries, two half hour massages, in room breakfast and a three course meal at one of their restaurants. Everything was outstanding!I will review the restaurant separately. We stay at Four Seasons Hotels and Ritz carlton Hotels, but his hotel outdid them all...in a class by itself. It is expensive, but if you are looking to celebrate a special occasion, you should consider this beautiful hotel.This was a little slice of heaven. We hope to return someday.

Room Tip: I don't think there is a bad room in the hotel. Very quiet and beautiful.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear abdott,
thank you for posting your review about Hotel Principe di Savoia!
It is always a pleasure to read a feedback about one of our packages, which are available when booking directly with us. We work very hard to include those features our guests may wish for, depending on the type of stay they will have - leisure or business, couple or family.

Thank you for your lovely review about Acanto restaurant, too!
I really look forward to welcoming you and your husband again upon your next visit to Italy.

Ezio Indiani
General Manager - Hotel Principe di Savoia.
Geneva
Reviewed 20 October 2012

3 days in massive and beautifully arranged king size bedroom. All amenities you can think of for a little more than what you would pay in nice hotel in Milan. Being slightly away from the center has its advantages, although very easy to connect by subway and cab. Many very nice top level restaurants around. Pool and Sauna & Hamam free. Note that Saturday was very busy. Staff are very professional - once they notice you. This implies that if you are not a declared fashionista exhibitionist or a brand walking billboard you may experience some interesting reactions or more exactly a lack of it. This is however true in many so called luxury places in Milan and indicates that staff are trained to deal with - necessarily demanding - customer, only if it shines like gold in the sun, exude expensive bad taste or has been obviously refurbished from top to bottom. You will find indeed many of those hanging in the lobby. Some will complain that a decent espresso costs 6 Euros. I will defend the positioning as an moderately successful segmentation attempt of the above. More surprising is the systemic internet charge, which can be avoided with a package or a suite. Note the decent but no thrill breakfast. Food manager should understand that mediocre smoked salmon is not as exiting as top traditional Italian hams and cheese, burratas, season's fruits and other high grade Italian delicatessen that I generally can access in less sophisticated environment. In summary, it's efficient, service is good and the hotel is remarkable but it does have a little "chain" taste that may leave you ... expecting a bit more. A good priced experience overall for a seasoned traveller with probably too much references and... a scruffy NYC look.

Room Tip: Got a package for a tower suite - Upgraded to Deluxe king size room. Internet was "free".
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Terry-Gva-New-York
PrincipediSavoia, General Manager at Hotel Principe Di Savoia, responded to this review, 22 October 2012
Dear Terry-Gva-New-York,
thank you for your review about the Hotel Principe di Savoia.
I appreciate a touch of irony when I see it, and I admit your comment was quite funny.
Yes, our hotel is home to actors, fashion designers and jet setters in general, but we also welcome business people of all kinds all year round, and families travelling around Europe from overseas, and parties of friends. Our bars and fitness centre are open to the public and Milanese people come and go every day.

We try to meet everyone's expectations, and anticipate them when we can.
I know our staff at the Spa is committed to providing guests with utmost relaxation and well being. I am sorry if you were not as promptly acknowledged as you wished.
Your comment about the breakfast has been duly noted.

Looking forward to welcoming you back,
Sincerely
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 19 October 2012 via mobile

Nicely located close to Central Station, walk or free shuttle to shops and duomo. Attentive staff, greeting most cordial and efficient.

Room was of great size, as quiet as I've ever had in big hotel. Mattress a bit firm, and shower screen not totally effective.

Well priced in this market( From bookings.com 3 days prior. )

Would recommend, and probably stay same again next time in Milan.

Dear Fdluva,
thank you for sharing your review about Hotel Principe di Savoia.
I am pleased to see that you enjoyed your room and the location. I hope you had the chance to report your doubts about the matress and shower while you were staying with us: we are here to make our guests' stay as comfortable as possible.

I look forward to welcoming you back again in Milan soon. May I suggest you try our website next time, you'll be surprised.

Reviewed 19 October 2012 via mobile

We stayed in a spacious and beautiful room . A bit of a walk because we are at the attached tower but not too bad . The bed is big and extremely comfortable . The surcharges are too high in my eyes : wifi and any drinks or .. Very expensive . The service is very good but not in the room : they didn't clean it on time and when they did it wasn't perfect. In all this hotel deserves its high rank.

• Stayed October 2012
Dear DafnaG,
thank you for sharing your comments about your recent stay at Hotel Principe di Savoia.
I would like to investigate further the issue you mentioned with the cleaning service. If you could be so kind as to reply back in private and report a few more details, such as room number and dates of stay, I would really appreciate it.

I look forward to welcoming you back again in Milan. Please refer either to our website or to the reservations office for offers that include internet connection.

General Manager, Hotel Principe di Savoia
Hong Kong
Reviewed 18 October 2012

I was in Milan in the beginning of September for a trade show and is my first time to stay in this hotel, and I will surely go back again.
The lobby was so beautiful and the check-in staff was polite and efficient. I had been escort to my room then wow, the room is very classic and beautifully decorated. Yes, I would say it needs maintenance as you can see some of the things there was already broken or out of order eg. the security lock in the door was missing (I think it came off some time ago as I can see the nail mark in the door frame). The light in the wall was not working. The carpet was old and the room was a bit dark. But still, I feel so good as the room is really beautiful and clean. The size of the room was big, it was a suite with a lounge area then another door into the bedroom. I just love it.
I didn't go out for dinner because I was so tired after a full day in the fair, I tried their room service. It took them around 20 mins to delivery my pasta dinner which is very fast. Food was no complain!
I recommend everyone to try their breakfast buffet. Frankly speaking, the food choice wasn't great but with high quality. But the environment in the breakfast room was so so good that I just wanted to spend my whole morning there!
The overall experience was great and I will surely return!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank CookingFan
PrincipediSavoia, General Manager at Hotel Principe Di Savoia, responded to this review, 19 October 2012
Dear CookingFan,
thank you for sharing your review about Hotel Principe di Savoia.
I am glad that your overall experience with us was positive, we really do our best to try and provide our business guests with high standards of service and assistance. I am particularly glad that you appreciated our room service and the front office staff.

All the rooms and suites in the main building have recently undergone a massive refurbishment, so if you could be so kind as to get in touch with me, and include your room number or name, I would appreciate it.

I do sincerely hope to welcome you back again to Principe di Savoia upon your next trip to Milan.