“EXCELLENT HOTEL”

Ranked #7 of 427 Hotels in Milan
Athens, Greece
“EXCELLENT HOTEL”
Reviewed 15 March 2013

A beautiful hotel, with excellent service. Delicious breakfast buffet and room amenities. The hotel has a beautiful spa with a very big indoor swimming pool. The personnel is well trained and very helpful.The only negative issue is the location

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank mariad2001
PrincipediSavoia, General Manager at Hotel Principe Di Savoia, responded to this review, 21 March 2013
Dear mariad2001,
thank you for your review about Hotel Principe di Savoia, Milan.
While I am particularly glad that you loved the Spa and the service received, I am sorry if you found it difficult to get around the city during your stay.
We offer a complimentary car service to and from the city centre, which is only a short distance away from Piazza della Repubblica anyway. I wonder if maybe for some reasons we failed to communicate that to you.
I do sincerely hope to welcome you again in Milan, and maybe next time we will be able to assist you in enjoying an entirely pleasant stay.

General Manager, Hotel Principe di Savoia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 2 March 2013 via mobile

Full of character, heavy drapes, beautiful furnishings, linen. The bathrooms have everything, and thankfully 21st century vintage. Large, modern, fully outfitted. Tired of encountering expensive European hotels with big names but outdated bathrooms. Terrific service at the restaurant, concierge was fantastic...everyone slipped into English readily after my Italian froze after 'Bon journo' .
Located an easy 6 euro cab ride to the Duomo/Scala area, or a 2 euro metro ride.

On the pricey side, but worth it.

Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank N N
Dear Sir,
thank you for sharing this review about your recent stay at Hotel Principe di Savoia and for your kind comments about the service.
Bathrooms are no secondary aspect when it comes to travelling away from home. I am glad you appreciated the one in your room. Details matter and I am really happy if you had the chance to take note of what you saw.

I do sincerely hope to welcome you back soon in Milan.
Sincerely
General Manager - Hotel Principe di Savoia
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 February 2013

after the most horrible experience at the four season we went to Principe de Savoia,, this people know what there are talking about and how to work, lovely rooms, great swimming pool, sauna, Jacuzzi, spa, and a great little terrace on the roof to enjoy the sun or the view of Milan.
the staff are just perfect, always there when u need them.
About the food, in the room or at the restaurant, cannot put words on it, u must try, the risotto, the osso bucco, the sea food plate or pasta, what ever you will eat it is just ''heaven''..
hope i will be back soon in Milan to visit you again. kind regards.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
PrincipediSavoia, General Manager at Hotel Principe Di Savoia, responded to this review, 1 March 2013
Dear greg s,
thank you so much for this lovely review on your stay at the Principe di Savoia, and for sharing your pictures. I am particularly glad that you loved the food and I hope you have the time to visit us this Spring, as we have a few new theme menus at Acanto restaurant.

If you wish, do let me know in advance if you're flying back to Milan, either here on Tripadvisor or via our website. I'll be most glad to welcome you back personally.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 27 February 2013

Cinzia my agent in Italy always says, "Life is, and then there is Milan."
This sums up her distaste for this big industrial city.
Her next line is; But,

"There is always the Principe to make it worth the trip."

This is a grand Italian pile, centrally located in the heart of this very busy city.
Inside is a sea of calm and Italian style, and grace that the rest of Europe is envious of.

I love the contemporary style of the rooms and the size at the Principe.
At this point of a buying trip I need space, personal space, and the PdS gives me heaps of what I desire.

Be sure to take in at least one meal in the dining room, and I am not including breakfast in that one meal.
Maybe a leisurely lunch with business associates, or a fabulous long drawn out dinner with friends or the other half.
Dining at the PdS is elegant, and serene...................be sure you dress.

Staying inside a hotel when in Italy is almost the definition of lunacy.

However that said, the Italians do such a great job of making you feel important, and worthy that unless I had to go out the front door for work, I would happily just stay in.

Italy is one country where if I could speak the language, I would DE-plane, get my luggage and tear up my passport, and just disappear into any part of this incredible country.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Skippy025
Dear Skippy025,
I very much enjoyed your review, and please thank Cinzia for me for the adorable compliment!
Milan is not the typical Italian little jewel, but it does have historical features and beauties most people ignore. Perhaps on your next stay here with us we can arrange something special for you. Provided you have the time and once you "de-plane", of course.

The next time you travel to Milan, do let me know in advance. I'll be most glad to do that personally and give you the warmest welcome back.

West Islip, NY
Reviewed 24 February 2013

My reception at the Hotel Principe di Savoia was flawless. A tall, virile young man in a stylish winter coat opened the limousine door, helped me out, and warmly welcomed me to the Hotel. Without delay he escorted My Dearest and me directly to a receptionist, who quickly completed our paperwork, swiped My Dearest’s black card, and escorted us to our room. The receptionist gave us a personal tour of the room demonstrating the lighting, heating, and other systems and, before departing, offered us refreshment. Meanwhile our bags were whisked out of the trunk of the limousine and delivered to our room within minutes of our arrival. Aspiring hotel managers around the world: report to the front of the Principe and take notes. This is how guest reception should be handled.

Throughout our stay the service was outstanding. The concierge desk was always well-staffed, so I never needed to wait for a concierge to help me. (If you stay at a big city hotel with just one lonely soul behind the concierge desk, hotel management has decided to fund their bonus pool by making you wait.) I called housekeeping several times with various requests. For every single request, someone arrived at our room within three to five minutes. Gold medal!

The bathroom was close to perfect. Walls covered with lovely marble tiles in a rich mixture of colors and patterns. Double sinks, so My Dearest could shave without getting in my way. Acres of counter and shelf space for my gear. Large mirrors everywhere. One of the nicest illuminated magnifying mirrors that I have seen. It was super focused, clear, and bright. Acqua di Parma toiletries – among my favorites!

Thick towels hung from a towel warmer. In my experience hotel towel warmers are either so cold you could use them to make cocktail ice (I’m looking at you, United Kingdom) or so scorching hot you could use them as a branding iron. The Principe towel warmer was perfect, heating my towels up to just the right warmth. Plus there were no impertinent signs ordering me to curtail my towel usage in order to save the polar bears. Instead, fresh towels were delivered without question twice each day. Heaven! (Polar bears: goodbye, it’s been real.)

One criticism of the bathroom. There was no shower stall. Instead the shower was combined with the bathtub. This was annoying. The bathtub was narrow, so my movements were constrained when I showered. The shower screen on the side of the tub leaked onto the floor. Plus the surface of the bathtub angled steeply towards the drain, so with every shower there was a risk of slipping and cracking my head on the lovely marble. People, install proper shower stalls! To make room for them, just rip out the bidets. You won’t need them in the future. With their new 75% tax rate French people are not going to be staying at the Principe any time soon.

The bedroom was a showpiece! Rich fabrics everywhere: on the furniture, the bed, the floor, and the walls. Thick satin curtains with hand-made tassels. Bright, thoughtfully located lights. Art that was both tasteful and cheering. A firm mattress covered in high-end Italian cotton sheets.

One criticism of the bedroom. Much of the furniture was covered in veneers with fake wood inlays. While real wood inlays are divine, fake wood inlays make me fume. There is nothing wrong with simple hardwood furniture. If your furniture budget won’t go the extra mile for real wood inlays, why taunt me with the fake stuff? Plus, I can understand using fake wood inlays in just one piece of furniture, as an accent, but there simply is no need for fake inlays in pretty much every wooden surface in the room’s furniture.

The closet was a work of art! Brightly illuminated, so that I could see my clothes as they hung happily on the thick wood hangers. Mirrors on the inside of each closet door so I could model my clothes without running into the bathroom to use the mirror. Lovely cabinetwork with glass fronted drawers so that I could see my stuff without opening the drawers. Kudos to the closet team!

The Principe location was excellent. It’s a hike from the Duomo, but (a) I didn’t go to Milan to stare at some church, (b) the Duomo swarms with newbie tourists and the con artists who prey on them, and (c) if I never see another cathedral in my life I will try not to sob aloud. The Principe lies some distance from DaVinci’s Last Supper, but it’s not on my bucket list. If it’s on yours, take a taxi. Vastly more important, the Principe is just a short walk from Via della Spiga, dense-packed with melt-in-your mouth gorgeous fashion and leather goods boutiques.

The Hotel bar was edgy , sophisticated and fun! A dramatic room with its own DJ and a striking chandelier. The cocktails included flawlessly executed classics and imaginative house specialty drinks. Often house specialty cocktails are too sweet, syrupy, and one-dimensional. The Principe specialty cocktails that I tried were refreshing and subtle blends of flavors. While My Dearest and I enjoyed our drinks, the bar staff heaped a variety of snacks on our table. Many of these were too heavy and doughy to properly accompany the delicate flavors of the cocktails. People, reboot the bar snacks starting with some caper berries and crumbles of aged parmesan cheese.

Acanto Restaurant disappointed me. The room strives for urbane glamour with polished marble, chrome, and glass all around. The menu includes loads of expensive ingredients. Legions of staff in designer clothing pranced around. The wine list ran on for pages. But the place lacked soul. The food preparations were comparable to what appears in pretty much any sleek big city five star hotel restaurant. While the food was competent, it was neither ethereal nor clearly rooted in the culinary traditions of Milan. The service lacked a personal touch. My advice: skip Acanto and ask the concierge to recommend one of the excellent traditional Italian restaurants in the neighborhood.

In summary, Hotel Principe di Savoia is outstanding! I had a few minor complaints. With the Principe’s focus on customer service, I am sure they will be fixed in time for my next visit.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 23 February 2013

Great hotel in terms of location and service. But the hotel does show its age and you can hear the pedestrians on the street from a 7th floor room. During the week the construction noise can get pretty bad also. The room was excellent. Everything was impeccably clean. Biggest issue I had was that considering the cost of the room, they still charge for wifi, even if you want to use the wifi in the lobby.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
Dear Jimin Y,
Thank you for your review.
I am glad that you liked your accomodation: all of the rooms, the lobby, the restaurant and bar were recently refurbished in a modern key.
Our rooms are well-appointed with double glazed windows and lush curtains, in order to keep the noise out of the room and protect the environment by reducing energy waste.
I am sorry if this was not enough to grant silence in your case.

Also I want to thank you for sharing your comment about the cost of wifi. I am glad to take this chance to announce here on Tripadvisor that, following the comments you and other guests made about internet charges, the Hotel Principe di Savoia is about to change its policy and wifi will very soon be free of charge in the common areas and inside the rooms, up to a certain speed.

While this decision will no doubt affect our business, we believe that listening to our clients has got to be our main priority. We understand that internet access is now considered more than a simple amenity while travelling and we hope this will give a better experience for guests choosing the Principe for their Milan stay.

We do hope to welcome you back soon.
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 15 February 2013

the hotel is very central, 3 min from piazza duomo, and the service is outstanding. the hotel standards are very high and especially the breakfast is delicious. it's the perfect stay for a couple or just a luxury weekend stay.

Room Tip: the principe suit is absolutely awesome :)