“Wonderful in every way”

Ranked #7 of 428 Hotels in Milan
Davidsonville, Maryland
“Wonderful in every way”
Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

Booked based on high ratings in Travel and Leisure and Conde Nast Traveller. Came to this Hotel from Four Seasons in Florence. Four Seasons was nice but no comparison. Four Seasons offered to sell me an upgrade, the Principe gave me one unasked. Every thing about the hotel was wonderful with the possible exception of proximity to the Duomo area. They do provide a shuttle but we found that it was a nice walk. It seems to be primarily a business oriented hotel but the friendly concierge staff were knowledgeable about everything Including getting us in to see The Last Supper on short notice. This is a Dorchester hotel and my experience has me looking at others in the collection.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
PrincipediSavoia, Direttore generale at Hotel Principe Di Savoia, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Dear David C,
Thank you so much for your lovely review on the Hotel Principe di Savoia. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and I will be sure to inform all my amazing team of your beautiful compliments. I highly recommend you experience the other Hotels of the Dorchester Collection because they are icons in their own right with worldwide reputations as places offering the best and most sought-after experiences of good living, charm, elegance and service.
I sincerely hope to welcome you back soon.
Ezio Indiani

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
San Diego, California
Reviewed 15 February 2014

I just returned from a four-night stay at the fabulous Principe di Savoia Hotel located in the heart of Milan. It's a wonderful upscale hotel that is frequented by George Clooney, Madonna and other VIPs. It's not for the budget-conscious traveler, but you will not be disappointed.
The service is five-star from the front desk to the concierge and doormen, all of whom are eager to help make your stay a wonderful experience. The hotel has one of the best breakfast buffets in the world! It includes fresh fruit juices and champagne. The hotel also offers guests complimentary shuttle services from the hotel to the Milan fashion district or Opera House across the plaza from the beautiful cathedral (Duomo). It departs the hotel and picks up at the drop-off points every 15-20 minutes.
The hotel has a indoor pool on the 10th floor and a fitness room that sports a beautiful rooftop view of Milan. Be sure to visit it even if you don't work out. By the way, the use of the pool and fitness area including sauna and steam room (with private locker rooms for men and women) is free.
Standard Internet is free, but the high speed service, which I recommend, is about $12 per day.
Also, the hotel is conveniently located across the park from the metro-underground and the railway, which are reliable and inexpensive.
I can highly recommend the Principe Di Savoia for your next visit to Milan, Italy.

Room Tip: The guest rooms are large. Request the Deluxe king room that has a "suite" feel to it with...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
PrincipediSavoia, General Manager at Hotel Principe Di Savoia, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Dear Tom H,
thank you for sharing this extensive review about Hotel Principe di Savoia.
I am delighted that you loved all our services and it will be my pleasure to share your words with our staff. It really is a pleasure to see that you were impressed by our breakfast!

I do sincerely hope to welcome you back on your next trip to Milano.
Warm Regards,
Espoo, Finland
Reviewed 10 February 2014

I stayed at Principe Di Savoia for two nights during a business trip. It was a great experience, but not perfect.

At first my check-in was very quick and smooth. However, I was a bit surprised there was no staff to welcome guests outside the entrance. However, this was just a minor flaw, as I was later personally showed to my room, and my luggage was there already before me.

My room was very clean and quite spacious, even it was just a double person room on the 8th floor. I especially appreciated having a separate bath tub and a regular shower.

The breakfast was excellent, and service very friendly and professional. At least the managerial staff speak English quite well.

I reserved a massage at the SPA and it was very nice and professional. However, their yakuzzi was unfunctional at the moment, and they could not assist me with that.

I at one lunch at the hotel on my own expense. 28 euros for small pasta and over 10 euros for a small glass of local white whine. These are good examples of how expensive this hotel is. The breakfast was very expensive too, but I didn't mind as it was covered by my host.

I contacted the concierge desk for getting to the Cathedral Square (Piazza del Duomo). They recommended getting a taxi or that I also could there. I was surprised I was not offered their car service many people have mentioned here. However, I didn't check this, as my travel plans changed.

Overall, I would definitely recommend Hotel Principe Di Savoia and I would be happy to stay here again in Milan.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Tero Lehto
PrincipediSavoia, Direttore generale at Hotel Principe Di Savoia, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Dear Tero Leht,
Thank you so much for your review. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your room and that you found the breakfast excellent. I am also delighted that you experienced our Spa. I greatly appreciate you pointing out the couple of things that you did not find perfect as it is a top priority for me that everything at the Hotel is seamless.
I sincerely hope to welcome you back soon to the Hotel Principe di Savoia and offer you an exceptional stay.
Ghent, Belgium
Reviewed 10 February 2014

The first thing to remember about Milan is low value for money across the board. The Principal Di Savioia was good value for money in Milan but not compared to other cities across Europe with the exception of Paris. We stayed in their Ambassador suite which comprised of an average sized lounge area the bedroom was a good size and the suite was elegantly furnished with a good sized bathroom. Concierge were helpful on arrival but the booking department had not informed them of the size of my vehicle which I requested her to do on booking. On the whole we had a good stay room service was very good as was house keeping. I was a little disappointed when checking out they were going to charge me for WiFi. I am sorry guys when you are paying between 500-1000 euros a night WiFi should be included at least, its a little greedy and insulting. A good hotel for high end travelers but watch the extras in Milano!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank thealcoves
Dear thealcove,
Thank you so much for your review on the Hotel Principe di Savoia. It is with great joy that I read that you enjoyed our Ambassador Suite and I will be sure to inform our Concierge that you found them extremely helpful. I am sorry for the mistake in regards to your car and I can guarantee that if you return this will not happen again. In regards to WI-Fi we offer the service complimentary for up to 256Kb/s and please feel free to contact me personally if you have any further questions.
I sincerely hope to welcome you back soon.
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed 10 February 2014

We stayed as a family in the hotel after an intercontinental flight at the start of our Italian holiday. As expected from a 5 star hotel, everything was beautiful and luxurious, but a few details really stood out for us and made us so happy to have chosen this hotel as our point of arrival. At check in, the friendly, efficient lady who checked us in, also showed us to our room and took us through the room and hotel orientation. It was so lovely not to be handed over to another person at this point. Our room was lovely and the Aqua di Parmi toiletries a special treat. The swimming pool in the gym was a real treat as we all were able to have a swim on arrival and felt refreshed and ready to take advantage of the day in spite of the long flight. (It really helped the children feel at home and settle in) The transfers to points in the city from the hotel are well organised and very useful. We also thoroughly enjoyed the breakfast in the beautiful garden view setting. Here the service, attention to detail with cutlery, crockery and presentation as well as the selection of food and the fresh ingredients was notable. Many thanks for a great start to our holiday.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Dear LivetoFra,
It is with immense joy that I read that we contributed to a great start to your holiday. Details for us are fundamental and I am delighted that you were able to fully appreciate them. I will be sure to share your lovely review with all my wonderful team at the Hotel Principe di Savoia, as these words are truly the greatest rewards for all the dedication that everyone puts into their daily work in order to offer our amazing Guests a true exceptional stay.
I sincerely hope to welcome you back soon to your Milanese home.
Florence, Italy
Reviewed 27 January 2014

I stayed at the Hotel Principe for a long weekend just before Christmas. It's such a gem. The hotel is beautiful and elegant, and the staff were welcoming and eager to please- truly five-star hotel and staff. The room was private and well-appointed with a bed so comfortable that I wanted to sleep in every morning. Acqua di Parma beauty products in the bathroom. The spa on the top floor had a pool with a fantastic terrace overlooking all of Milan.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
PrincipediSavoia, Direttore generale at Hotel Principe Di Savoia, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Dear Mrs TheIssima,
thank you so much for this lovely, light review!
I am glad that you and your partner loved your accommodation and the Acqua di Parma amenities. I will also make sure to pass on your comments to the Spa staff at Club 10.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon, and please next time feel free never to leave the room if you don't feel like. Just give a call to the room service staff and let us know how we can assist!

Warm Regards,
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 27 January 2014

From the moment you enter the lobby you feel this is a old historic hotel. Unlike most hotels in Europe you can enjoy good service here. The room I stayed in was excellent and with all the modern facilities of a 5 Star hotel room. I booked through Fine hotels and resorts network so got a room upgrade, breakfast included and late checkout.

The Good :

- Famous hotel so all taxi drivers know it and most good stores will deliver your shopping
- Great location and close to most sightseeing spots and shopping(via Monte Napoleone)
- Well appointed rooms (my room had a bath tub and a separate shower)
- Excellent concierge service
- Very good breakfast spread
- Wonderful and a lively Bar
- Good Spa therapist
- Evening cleaning service available till late

Not so Good :

- Spa room was a bit small and not luxurious as the rest of the hotel

This is certainly my hotel of choice the next time I come back here.

Room Tip: There is a new building coming up behind the hotel and work starts early so avoid staying in rooms f...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Dear Mr Amit P,
Thank you so much for sharing this review about the Hotel Principe di Savoia.

I am particularly glad to see that you have gotten to know us throught the FHR programme and that you appreciated your accommodation and all the services our property offers, from bar to dry cleaning. Your comment about the Spa has been duly noted.
Please do not hesitate to get in touch with me separately for any other issue you may want to address.

Meanwhile we all look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Milan.
Warm Regards