“Excellent hotel”

Hotel Principe Di Savoia
Ranked #4 of 431 Hotels in Milan
Reviewed 25 February 2014

I didn't have any particularly high expectations coming in but I must say I was thoroughly impressed with this property. Unfortunately I arrived while One Direction was staying here so had to push through a mob of tween girls hanging around the hotel entrance. I was suprised there did not seem to be more of an effort at crowd control on the part of the hotel (this improved over the course of my stay). Once past the crowd, check in was friendly and efficient. I declined to be shown my room.

The rooms are very nicely decorated - everything is stylish and although classic does not appear to be dated. Bed linens and comfort are exceptional. The bathroom is modern and pretty, with very nice Acqua di Parma toiletries.

The turndown service was appreciated and quite thorough.

The breakfast buffet was exceptional and highly recommended - great variety and service.

The location of the hotel is fine. It is very close to the Centrale station (1 stop away) and the subway stop is right at the bottom of the little hill in front of the hotel. It is just a few stops away from the Duomo.

The concierge wasn't terribly helpful with restaurant suggestions, basically informing me (though he may have been quite correct) that there were not a lot of good restaurants open for dinner before the opera. My only other minor complaint was with the complimentary hotel shuttle to the Centro Storico - I was on my way to a performance at La Scala and requested to be dropped off there. I was told that the shuttle would not go to La Scala but could drop me off in Montenapoleone and I could walk the rest of the way. I thought this was a little odd and reflected poorly on the service but wasn't too upset. The driver ended up taking me to La Scala anyway, which resolved the issue.

Overall a very good stay at a very good hotel - some of the minor service aspects could do with improvement but I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
PrincipediSavoia, Direttore generale at Hotel Principe Di Savoia, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Dear cmc002,
Thank you for sharing your review about Hotel Principe di Savoia.
I am glad that you loved your accommodation from amenities to turndown service, breakfast and location. On the other hand, I am sorry if we were not fully helpful in assisting you with the restaurant booking.

I apologise for any inconvenience you may have experienced during your stay due to the presence of a famous pop band. We are accostumed to hosting celebrities of all sorts, but on that one occasion the amount of fans increased dramatically as hours went by and as you may recall the police had to put up barriers around the entrance.

A map for the shuttle service is available at our concierge desk. I am glad to confirm that the car stops at via della Spiga, via Montenapoleone and Piazza della Scala. Please feel free to contact me in private to discuss your experience further.

I hope to welcome you back soon,
Sincerely
Ezio Indiani

Write a ReviewReviews (2,013)

Reviewed 22 February 2014

I visit Milan quite a few times both for work and leisure. On one occasion it clashed with the fashion week so most of the 4* and 5* properties were either full or extremely priced to the 'general public'. Fortunately, my company was able to secure a corporate rate here and felt quite lucky to have stayed, just for the experience. Room was nicely decorated (but small) and I loved the ACQUA di PARMA products in the bathroom. Unfortunately there's no view or other 'wow' factors to speak of, except that in the lobby there were many nice looking people around (models & celebrities) hanging out which made it quite a place to people watch and experience the glamour :)

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
PrincipediSavoia, Direttore generale at Hotel Principe Di Savoia, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Dear Kelobie,
Thank you for sharing this review about your stay.
While I am glad that you liked the Acqua di Parma amenities and the general atmosphere, I am sorry to read that you were not impressed in other ways.

For Fashion Weeks all the best accommodations are booked with large advance, so when request arrive with short notice we provide what is left: in your case, my guess is that you got a Classic Room.
Our hotel boasts a view on Piazza della Repubblica on one side, and on the skyscrapers of Porta Nuova on the other: you may have had the chance to see this from the Spa and Fitness Centre terrace, which is accessible to all guests. Again, if the booking was made last-minute I am afraid we probably had to give you a room with view on the inner court.

I am wondering if you had the chance to take advantage of the breakfast or the shuttle service to Piazza della Scala. However I remain at your disposal to discuss further your stay.

Wish you a happy new week,
Sincerely

Reviewed 17 February 2014

I stayed for a week end at Principe Di Savoia Hotel and It has been a wonderful stay. The room are very elegant and well decorated. The room is spacious and the bathroom is bright and beautiful. Staff is very friendly and helpful from the first minute you get into the hotel until you left it. The hotel is well located. Don't miss the breakfast! Highly recommended for a romantic week-end.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, The Junior suite is very nice.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Yaslovesbags
PrincipediSavoia, General Manager at Hotel Principe Di Savoia, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Dear Yaslovesbags,
thank you for sharing your review about Hotel Principe di Savoia.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your accommodation and breakfast, but above all that you loved the interest shown by our staff, who are sincerely committed to providing a memorable experience to all our guests.

I hope to welcome you back soon to our hotel.
Warm Regards,

Reviewed 17 February 2014

Stayed at this hotel for 4 nights during our 20-year wedding journey.
I chose this hotel in view of its history and architecture, not because of its famous guests.

-Location is good, not perfect, though a shuttle provided brings you to La Scala and the shopping area.
-Breakfast is enormous and delicious.
-Service is impeccable.
-Concierge was courteous and knowledgeable
-The standard double room was quite spacious, though the bathroom was tiny and uncomfortable for two. The accessories seem a bit outdated and need proper fixing.
Our biggest disappointment was an enormous crowd of business travellers. They flocked to the restaurant and the lobby every morning to attend the conferences held at the hotel.
I had a feeling of being at the railway station where everyone was in rush.

So, this hotel is business oriented (would wish to learn it before), the accommodation itself was not as good as we expected, all other things&services were perfect.

I prefer more individual service and cozy atmosphere (as we had in Venice).
Next time in Milan would choose a more quiet hotel closer to historical sites.

Room Tip: For a more romantic stay choose another more quiet less crowded hotel
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Inna D

Dear Inna D,
Thank you for sharing this review about your stay hotel Principe di Savoia.

While I am delighted that you enjoyed your breakfast and the attention received from all of our staff, I am sorry to read that you were not satisfied with the general atmosphere.
Coming in from Venice you may have noticed that Milan is a business oriented city, which is why we are (also) a business oriented hotel. I am as happy to stress that here on Tripadvisor our hotel ranks no.4 among the most romantic hotels in Milan. I really hope that we were aware of the important event you and your husband were celebrating because our staff is strongly committed to providing a memorable experience on such occasions.

As per your accommodation, please feel free to contact me privately with either your name or room number and I will be most glad to go into details with you.

We sincerely hope to welcome you back on your next trip around Italy.
Warm Regards
Ezio indiani

Reviewed 15 February 2014

Booked based on high ratings in Travel and Leisure and Conde Nast Traveller. Came to this Hotel from Four Seasons in Florence. Four Seasons was nice but no comparison. Four Seasons offered to sell me an upgrade, the Principe gave me one unasked. Every thing about the hotel was wonderful with the possible exception of proximity to the Duomo area. They do provide a shuttle but we found that it was a nice walk. It seems to be primarily a business oriented hotel but the friendly concierge staff were knowledgeable about everything Including getting us in to see The Last Supper on short notice. This is a Dorchester hotel and my experience has me looking at others in the collection.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
PrincipediSavoia, Direttore generale at Hotel Principe Di Savoia, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Dear David C,
Thank you so much for your lovely review on the Hotel Principe di Savoia. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and I will be sure to inform all my amazing team of your beautiful compliments. I highly recommend you experience the other Hotels of the Dorchester Collection because they are icons in their own right with worldwide reputations as places offering the best and most sought-after experiences of good living, charm, elegance and service.
I sincerely hope to welcome you back soon.
Warmest regards,

Reviewed 15 February 2014

I just returned from a four-night stay at the fabulous Principe di Savoia Hotel located in the heart of Milan. It's a wonderful upscale hotel that is frequented by George Clooney, Madonna and other VIPs. It's not for the budget-conscious traveler, but you will not be disappointed.
The service is five-star from the front desk to the concierge and doormen, all of whom are eager to help make your stay a wonderful experience. The hotel has one of the best breakfast buffets in the world! It includes fresh fruit juices and champagne. The hotel also offers guests complimentary shuttle services from the hotel to the Milan fashion district or Opera House across the plaza from the beautiful cathedral (Duomo). It departs the hotel and picks up at the drop-off points every 15-20 minutes.
The hotel has a indoor pool on the 10th floor and a fitness room that sports a beautiful rooftop view of Milan. Be sure to visit it even if you don't work out. By the way, the use of the pool and fitness area including sauna and steam room (with private locker rooms for men and women) is free.
Standard Internet is free, but the high speed service, which I recommend, is about $12 per day.
Also, the hotel is conveniently located across the park from the metro-underground and the railway, which are reliable and inexpensive.
I can highly recommend the Principe Di Savoia for your next visit to Milan, Italy.

Room Tip: The guest rooms are large. Request the Deluxe king room that has a "suite" feel to it with...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
PrincipediSavoia, General Manager at Hotel Principe Di Savoia, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Dear Tom H,
thank you for sharing this extensive review about Hotel Principe di Savoia.
I am delighted that you loved all our services and it will be my pleasure to share your words with our staff. It really is a pleasure to see that you were impressed by our breakfast!

I do sincerely hope to welcome you back on your next trip to Milano.
Warm Regards,

Reviewed 10 February 2014

I stayed at Principe Di Savoia for two nights during a business trip. It was a great experience, but not perfect.

At first my check-in was very quick and smooth. However, I was a bit surprised there was no staff to welcome guests outside the entrance. However, this was just a minor flaw, as I was later personally showed to my room, and my luggage was there already before me.

My room was very clean and quite spacious, even it was just a double person room on the 8th floor. I especially appreciated having a separate bath tub and a regular shower.

The breakfast was excellent, and service very friendly and professional. At least the managerial staff speak English quite well.

I reserved a massage at the SPA and it was very nice and professional. However, their yakuzzi was unfunctional at the moment, and they could not assist me with that.

I at one lunch at the hotel on my own expense. 28 euros for small pasta and over 10 euros for a small glass of local white whine. These are good examples of how expensive this hotel is. The breakfast was very expensive too, but I didn't mind as it was covered by my host.

I contacted the concierge desk for getting to the Cathedral Square (Piazza del Duomo). They recommended getting a taxi or that I also could there. I was surprised I was not offered their car service many people have mentioned here. However, I didn't check this, as my travel plans changed.

Overall, I would definitely recommend Hotel Principe Di Savoia and I would be happy to stay here again in Milan.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Tero Lehto
PrincipediSavoia, Direttore generale at Hotel Principe Di Savoia, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Dear Tero Leht,
Thank you so much for your review. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your room and that you found the breakfast excellent. I am also delighted that you experienced our Spa. I greatly appreciate you pointing out the couple of things that you did not find perfect as it is a top priority for me that everything at the Hotel is seamless.
I sincerely hope to welcome you back soon to the Hotel Principe di Savoia and offer you an exceptional stay.
Warmest regards,