“Thanks but no thanks”

Ranked #1,568 of 8,764 Restaurants in Milan
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: IL MARCHESINO opens for lunch at 12 with a card consisting of Milanese menu and innovative healthy dishes. Meanwhile the Cafeteria offers from pasta to sandwiches, from a selection of health-conscious dishes "Italian sushi". Cafeteria It starts at 8:00, with a quick or full breakfast. In the continuing of the day the Cafe offers a triumph pastry, sandwiches, ice creams, sorbets and serves tea. Pre- and post-Theater Always attentive student of the La Scala Theatre season, Marchesi has paid great attention to the proposal for fans of La Scala, which can be found at the restaurant an opportunity to break the hunger before the performance or range, or round off the evening at the end of the event. Starring the bowl of risotto alla Milanese, which is served by a spectacular shopping.
Reviewed 14 March 2013

We have been there before and were not impressed, tried it again and it failed to impress again.
Yes, sure, we are spoiled, live in Dubai (born in Amsterdam), all clean, organized, people service minded...and then Europe...Milan..used to be my favorite town...Malpensa..dirty...Milan..dirty..people poorly dressed...taxis dirty...no english...time stood still and the crisis hit. Now the restaurant: we were 4 going for lunch. Nice gadget, ipad as menu, allergies addressed etc. Starter for me artichoke, old style, on spinach..light cheese sauce..nice.
Main course ravioli with pumpkin..and sort of amaretto in there...horrible..taste of chocolate..a chef with too much creativity..over the top...almost a desert...My daughter had chicken Kiev..c'mon guys I don`t want to taste the oil when something is fried...Male servant very willing and friendly..but two female "student, Gothic looking " servants..not a smile..nothing..hey ladies...work somewhere else if you don`t like the job...I can`t help it if your life is miserable..
Wine was decent...interior friendly...Bill for lunch for 4..a stiff 275 Euro....I am afraid the crisis will last a little bit longer in Italy..

4  Thank Erwin D

Reviewed 12 February 2013

We had diner at Il Marchesino before the Opera Nabuco.
The setting of the restaurant is very charming and so is its location, next to the Scala.
The service is very nice with 3 to 4 girls paying attention to every detail.
The food,unfortunately,did not meet our expectations. The desserts were far better. Do try one of their dessert wines whic are very good.
Unfortunately tourists are treated differently than locals.

Reviewed 2 February 2013 via mobile

I worship Gualtiero Marchesi and his creativity so I decided to go to Il Marchesino for an after-shopping dinner.The location has always been cosy and easy, staff extremely good: professional and attentive without soffocating.My sacher torte like "la Marchesina" was exceptional and my wife's chocolate and pistachio's cream even better.Unluckily the mains were not as good as the dessert or at least they didn't meet my expectations.Another sour note is the portion: for the 6€ glass of wine you get too few, a glass whic is around 25% smaller than what you get in London.I must say that the Valpolicella I took was really good and service excellent:waiter changed both our glasses because in mine we found something in suspension.Also the mains were really little and not enough to satisfy you if you are really hungry.My final impression is that this restaurant is a good place to have lunch close to La Scala knowing that just for the location food and drinks will be pricy but if you want to discover the real Gualtiero Marchesi is better to go to his main restaurant.

Reviewed 5 January 2013

Its always so stressful eating before the opera, but here it really wasn't. The food was brilliant, and the service excellent. We liked it so much we returned the next day after visiting the LaScala museum. Child-friendly, too, which is not always the case at upscale places in Italy. Highly recommended whether or not you are going to the opera.

Reviewed 12 December 2012

With a performance of La Boheme beckoning at La Scala at 8pm, we had booked at table at the, relatively small, restaurant that bears the name of a 'god father' of Italian (relatively) fine dining, relatively early at 6pm. We were glad we had, because although the restaurant clearly knows how to effectvely service the pre-theatre (mainly non-Italian at that time of day!) diners, it seemed (perhaps unfairly judged) somewhat disorganised but, after all, this is Italy! The restaurant was in fact recommended (for good food and location, adjacent to La Scala) by an Italian (origin), 'high profile' restaurant figure and friend and certainly the food was very good, although the choice of dishes, if you adhere to the pre/post theatre menu was really quite limited and not that exciting. The staff, in particular the maitre d, were friendly, the decor/environment was pleasant and overall Il Marchesino was good for pre theatre dining.

1  Thank RSSUK