“La Scala!”

Ranked #15 of 784 things to do in Milan
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: This world-renowned opera house was built in 1778, where many composers wrote and conducted works including such greats as Rossini, Puccini, Verdi and Toscanini.
Dallas, Texas, United States
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“La Scala!”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I loved the history shared while on a tour of the La Scala Opera House. There is a small museum attached, if you love music history, stop in a check it out. Beautiful paintings, memorabilia from past operas etc. Liszt's piano is there, too. Don't miss it.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Unexpectedly Enjoyable”
Reviewed 9 November 2013

My husband insisted we visit La Scala for a performance of Aida, and I was prepared to fall asleep. Surprisingly, I loved it! The actual theater is iconic, and the production was lavish, with amazing sets and costumes. At one time there were about 120 performers on stage, and the orchestra was at least 70 pieces. I understood why the tickets were so expensive - we paid about $250 US each for mid-range seats through the venue's website (purchased at midnight US time the moment they went on sale.) The fact that our box included couples from Prague and Russia suggests the experience might be more popular with tourists than locals. It's a once-in-a-lifetime memory for certain.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank stellar2222
Island of Malta, Malta
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Such a beautiful place”
Reviewed 9 November 2013

This was the second time I visited Milan. The first time La Scala was under refurbishing so disappointing. I was lucky enough this time to tour this fantastic place. At the time it was not so busy so the atmosphere was so spiritual to think so many famous people have been and performed there.Just stop and imagine what it used to be like when it was a its peak (still is a landmark) I recommend a visit.

Melbourne, Australia
66 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“Poor view”
Reviewed 8 November 2013

I followed the website and when tickets became available to the general public for a performance of Aida I was ready. I was pleased to get tickets in the back of a box on the 4th level. I carried a jacket and tie for 5 weeks around Europe in anticipation of the big night which was the second last night away.
We were horrified upon entering the box that we had no view at all. Another gentleman who had the other seat at the back took one look, uttered an expletive and disappeared never to be seen again.I spent the evening standing on the fruitbox in an attempt to see the stage. My partner also had to stand in an attempt to see anything.
We also attended Covent Garden whose website provides clear details of any limitations and a mockup of the view. La Scala should be upfront with its customers that they can expect little in respect of a view even whilst paying reasomable money for seats.

Maastricht, The Netherlands
51 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 103 helpful votes
“Wow”
Reviewed 8 November 2013

We especcially went to Milan for enjoying an opera in La Scala. And wow, what a fantastic experience. We were in black tie, and many people were beautifully dressed. A overwhelming atmosphere. And Verid's Don Carlo sounded fantastic. Only Italian singers en musician can bring Verdi as it belongs to be.,

Visited November 2013