“So lucky were we!”

Ranked #15 of 894 things to do in Milan
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: This world-renowned opera house was built in 1778, where many composers wrote and conducted works including such greats as Rossini, Puccini, Verdi and Toscanini.
Reviewed 29 May 2014

At the very last minute we were able to secure 2 tickets to see the ballet, Swan Lake, at La Scala. We dressed in our nicer casual clothing and waited outside the opera house for the doors to open at 7:30, and they did! We went and found our seats. We were on about the fourth level up along the front edge, toward the left side of the stage. At 8 the performance began and the house was packed. Every seat was taken. The ballet was spectacular. There were 12 curtain calls. My husband and I had never been to the ballet before, and we loved it. We were captivated by the dancing and the story. There was a small intermission and we could not wait for the dancing to begin again. The opera house is quite a special building. The acoustics are fabulous and we could see quite well despite the fact that we were quite high. Tip: you can get standing room seats but the performances are long and its hard to stand. If you go to a higher level get a seat along the edge where you can lean forward and rest your arms.

1  Thank Gram E

Reviewed 29 May 2014

I was lucky enough to hear a performance at La Scala. The ticket was expensive but it was worth it. The quality of opera was superb and the acoustics are quite wonderful. It was just amazing to be at La Scala. The Italians take their opera so seriously.

I was hearing an English opera by Britten so it was not sold out. I was able to get a ticket at the box office the day of the performance and did not need to pay a scalper. Some tickets are available the morning of the performance if you are willing to stand in line. I would check at the box office before paying inflated prices.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

When we arrived I was surprised at how plain the building looked from the outside. After being herded up the stairs to a lovely waiting area, you are ushered in 4 or 5 at a time to walk onto one of the balconies to see the theater. No photos can be taken. You stand and look at it, and that's it. It was part of our Milan tour, but wouldn't recommend it as a "must see".

Reviewed 25 May 2014

It is quite a plain and boring building when compared with the other Opera buildings seen around Europe.Right on the main road, but the building is so plain that you will miss it if not pointed out and ofcourse, will leave you disappointed.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

This was part of our Cathedral/Last Supper tour. Otherwise, I would not have picked it. It was a nice attraction but I would rather spend more time at the Cathedral or Sforza castle.