Open today: 10:00 - 21:00
Review Highlights
Ermmm

So alike others we found this extremely confusing to navigate - the map was not clear at all and... read more

Reviewed 13 March 2024
Megan C
Prada space not worth the price

If you want to experience a few "ho-hum" modernist pieces by Koons or his ilk this is the ticket... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
Lawrence T
Atlanta, Georgia

Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
Recommended experiences in and around Milan
from £13.08
from £124.92
from £16.57
from £87.76
1,093 results
All reviews contemporary art bar luce permanent exhibits avant garde anderson tower cinema torre hurst culture metro stairs brand
Selected filters
Reviewed 23 October 2019

It took a long time to actually arrive at the Foundation- firstly, it is some distance south of the city centre so if you are staying in the North/ West of Milan it will take a while. This I did not mind. Secondly, when I arrived in the Lodi area I found that signage was non-existent until you actually ended up directly outside the building. This I did mind. I arrived after 45 minutes of searching in the rain to a gentleman at the ticket counter who spoke English, which I am always grateful for (I think it's wrong to take this for granted when abroad). He kindly- but not at all helpfully- gave me a map of the grounds marking out the order of buildings I should visit, but used the same markings for each building so I couldn't actually use it to guide me- which was a problem as it is a large vicinity. His explanation was also rapid, and therefore hard to follow, but I had no time to ask for it again as he had given me a timed ticket to the Haunted House section of the Foundation- and my timed session had already started! I had not been asked if I wanted it at that time. Moreover, I was then informed that the cinema closed an hour earlier than the rest of the buildings so to make sure I went in the next half hour as it would be closed after that- the same half-hour I was supposed to be in the Haunted House.

I went to the Haunted House, the Foundation's famous gold tower. The building was architecturally interesting and visually beautiful- but the art was a letdown and the staff were cold and unable to answer my questions about the displays. There was a "no photography" policy here which was fine but everywhere I walked I was being watched by gallery assistants which made me uncomfortable, so I quickly left the Haunted House. I asked the lady by its entrance if the cinema across the yard was accessible as, even though it was still supposed to be open, the door to it was closed. She said yes, I just had to knock on the door, so I made my way over to the mirrored building, knocked on the door and stood in the rain waiting to be let in. The lady then called me after a couple of minutes of watching me soak in my shirt and shorts and told me she had just realised they had closed early- "my mistake" she said. I was slightly miffed and very wet as I made my way down a long staircase to an underground room where I saw Thomas Demand's fantastic "Processo Grottesco". However, I faced the same problem here as I did in the Haunted House- another gallery assistant watching me but also physically following me, to the point where she was only several metres behind me. I ignored her and carried on inspecting, photographing and enjoying the piece as I was doing nothing wrong. A couple came into the room after me and she watched them intently as well, but I noticed very clearly she did not follow them. I tried looking at the postcards/ pictures in the display case when again she walked over near me. By this point I had grown tired of her piercing stare so I left this room too.

The Podium was inaccessible to me for reasons not made clear. I went over to the Cistern where I found reversing lorries and lots of workmen. I was informed by workers that the Cistern was undergoing some sort of renovation so, like the Podium, I could not visit it. This had not been mentioned on the website. Momentarily annoyed, I decided to look at this positively as it meant I a lot of time to explore the Torre, the 9-storey white tower. Or so I thought. The first floor with Jeff Koons was good and the gallery assistant (a lady with glasses) there was extremely kind- she explained the connection between his work and Carla Accardi's work beside it. I moved on to the next floor excited, but it was here I had one of the biggest blows.

This was the floor with Walter de Maria's 3 cars. I greeted the gallery assistants, a man with glasses and brown hair and a woman with brown hair. They immediately stopped their conversation and the man smiled at me, but the woman stayed silent. I
went over to take photos of the beautifully restored cars and the woman watched me like a hawk. She had not previously taken notice of a couple who had been in the room before me, but something about me obviously grabbed her attention. I was excited as I had a white and red outfit and sort of matched the cars (which the man in the couple happily noticed) and tried to ignore the woman assistant watching me. I walked to the back of the room where the couple was standing in order to take photos and the assistant suddenly moved to watch me. I walked across the back and the woman walked across the front. I realised the woman assistant was following me. I walked a few steps towards where I was before and she copied me. I couldn't believe it. The couple who were standing there maybe 20 seconds before me were completely ignored by her but this assistant went out of her way to see what I was doing, even though I was doing nothing different to them. I felt like a criminal. It sounds ridiculous to feel upset because of a stranger but I did. I had been on the floor for only 2 minutes but immediately left after this.

On the next floor I got scolded for getting to close to Mona Hatoum's artwork even though the line marked on the floor was pretty much invisible. The floor after, the 2 assistants intently watched me, moreso than the other visitors also on the floor.
The Damien Hirst floor was amazing but the gentleman assistant at the end of it was not. When I asked him if the roof terrace was open he replied in a rushed, annoyed voice "No but you need to hurry up because we are just about to close" moving his hands quickly (I think he may have even clapped several times). It was unnecessarily rude. I had one floor to see and over 15 mins left- more than enough time for me to explore it, walk back down all those stairs, all the way to the Foundation's boundary and probably to the end of the road. There was no need for the curtness or dramatics. I went upstairs to the final floor- there was a pitch-black tunnel which I was told to enter by the assistants. They forgot to mention there was a handrail to guide visitors through. I spent a minute slowly walking through with my arms outstretched feeling the walls before coming out and asking them if it was just a dark box. The assistant remembered to give me the vital information about the handrail which I then used to lead me to Carston Holler's fantastic mushrooms. After the nonsense I had been subject to for the past hour and 15 minutes, I had completely forgotten about this room. It was how I had found out about the Foundation in the first place when I saw it on Instagram and blogs about Milan and was the main reason I came. It was unexpected and I was so delighted. I went out and politely asked the assistant if she could take a photo of me in the room. The woman aggressively told me I was not allowed to have a photo. This was rubbish. I had been explicitly told by several workers in several different areas that the Haunted House was the only place on-site that had a no photo policy and that everywhere else was fine. I also knew this was rubbish because there are probably a hundred thousand photos of this room that you can see all across social media and the internet. They had all been allowed- so why wasn't I? The woman knew she was wrong because she quickly relented when she saw my confused face, sighed in annoyance and said okay. I didn't understand what I had done wrong and why she lied to me. She took 2 quick photos of me and you can see in both of them that I am quietly hurt and embarrassed. The woman then told me I needed to leave because they were closed. There was still 10 minutes left. Before I came to the Foundation I had been thrilled about visiting, especially to see Carston Hollers work. I had worn the red and white outfit, especially for his room so I could take a photo for myself and also to show my family. My feelings as I left could not have been more different. I have never been humiliated like this in a venue, never been embarrassed like this in a gallery or museum, never been made to feel like a burden by workers.

I asked to use the toilet as I was leaving the tower and was told it was closed, rudely. I asked if there was another toilet I could use and the man told me there was one in Bar Luce. I made my way over, passing through the bookshop to get there. When I was going the woman in the bookshop hastily told me the bookshop AND the bar was closed, sounding slightly agitated. As so many workers had spoken to me in this tone I wondered whether they were under pressure to shut up early and maybe it wasn't me specifically they had a problem with. I foolishly gave the Foundation and its workers the benefit of the doubt, like I had so many times in the past 1 and a half hours. Even though I knew deep down I was being treated wrong, I told myself convinced myself I had been reading too much into everything. The bar still had people drinking their coffees happily so I assumed they were just allowing the last few customers to finish up. I then asked the woman if there was anywhere in the general area outside the Foundation I could find a toilet and she told me to ask the security guard, so I did. He looked at me like I was crazy before telling me to just go back to the bar I was standing next to and use their one. I was surprised and asked was the bar not closed? He said no, pointing to all the people still sitting down and looking at me suspiciously. I went over to the bar and sure enough, it was open for another hour. This was the last straw for me. It felt like the vast majority of workers were quietly not keen on me, but there were several who were explicit in their actions when showing me how they felt. The woman in the bookshop's actions- her tone, her not looking at me in the face, her lying to me- felt like genuine disdain. So many workers here went out of their way to make me feel unwelcome. This was by far the worst experience I have ever had in any institution and most likely will be for the rest of my life. I went to the toilet feeling angry, wondering why I had been treated like this as I know I had done nothing wrong. I couldn't help wonder if the fact that I was visibly not white had something to do with it, because there was *nothing* else that made me stand out, *nothing* I wore or said or did that separated me from the other visitors apart from the way I look. The experience was a complete contrast to the Venice Biennale I had been at just a few days beforehand, which was a dream in comparison. I will recommend the incredible Biennale for the rest of my life and go out of my way to decry the Prada Foundation, its unfriendly, insensitive staff and its mostly poor art.

Date of experience: August 2019
9  Thank OmarAS94
Reviewed 14 October 2019

Just returned from Milan and the Fondazione Prada was a highlight of our visit. The campus is incredible! Both the reuse/design of the buildings by Rem Koolhaas (we were told the Fondazione was originally a distillery) and the landscape/hardscape treatments were amazing. All of the exhibition spaces and the visitor center/coffee shop were truly beautiful and every detail on site is perfectly executed. It is worth a visit just to see the architecture. We spent a lot of our time walking the site and admiring the design.

We also really loved the exhibits. The permanent collection of contemporary art was provocative, fanciful and at times pretty funny. We also enjoyed the grotto installation housed in the basement of the cinema building. What better use for a basement than a grotto? And of course there were a few weird pieces that I still can't figure out--but that added to the overall experience.

Any lover of architecture or contemporary art should make Fondazione Prada a must see!

Date of experience: October 2019
4  Thank gaudifan
Reviewed 5 October 2019 via mobile

The exhibition definitely gives you a pleasant break to shopping and dining ritual of Milan. It gives different dimensions and perspectives to art and culture, which can be inspiring for oneself

The restaurant on the 6th floor of the permanent exhibition offers great lunch as well. Worth a good 4-hour visit

Date of experience: October 2019
14  Thank friday0206
Reviewed 27 September 2019

Very interesting gallery space, very important artists like Jeff Koons and Damien Hirst. Definitely worth a visit it you love contemporary art. However, very difficult to find, should be better signage for people who are walking there from the tram/train. It's directly opposite a train track and there are no shops alongside it. There are giant signs advertising the gallery along the way, but with no arrows to reassure you that you are going in the right direction. Something they could do something about for tourists.

Date of experience: September 2019
2  Thank Nunssi
Reviewed 22 September 2019 via mobile

Such a cool place ! Modern and vibrant and the exhibition on propaganda was super interesting
I didn’t get to try the café yet but will absolutely do it !

Date of experience: October 2018