“Spent My Last Night in Italy Here”
Review of Starhotels E.c.ho.

Starhotels E.c.ho.
Ranked #37 of 428 Hotels in Milan
GreenLeadersGold level
Sarasota, Florida
“Spent My Last Night in Italy Here”
Reviewed 30 October 2010

I booked this hotel for my last night in Italy for its proximity to the airport buses. I was a little leery about this choice of hotel because of the many negative reviews here at Trip Advisor. But I am happy to say that I suffered none of the negative experiences at the Splendido that others pointed out.

A) My room was not in the least bit small. I was in Room 430 which was the last one at the end of the hall of the wing to the right from the elevators. It wasn't the least bit noisy.

B) The bathroom was large enough with a bath tub with a shower (Not a narrow shower stall). The bathroom also included a small TV and a phone. Ample towels including bath-mat and washcloths.

C) I had requested a double bed (King or queen) because of my height. It turned out to be two twins pushed together but the bed had enough length and was very comfortable.

D) I arrived by train in Milano Central at about 1145 but they checked me in right away. I was not required to wait.

E) One couple in an earlier review stated that they had left money in the room and a small amount was taken. My room came equipped with a safe which was situated in the closet. The problem with the safe was that the room did not have an indirect ceiling light - just lamps on the bedstands and desk - so I wasn't able to read the instructions on how to use the safe. It looked like you'd have to create a combination.

F) Check in staff very nice and welcoming. Had no problem with them at all.

G) Breakfast was ample with tasty brioche or croissants. There were scrambled eggs with bacon available, plus hot and cold cereals, breads, cakes, fruits, yogurt, and juices. On the whole Europe still doesn't come close to Asia for the breakfast buffets, but this hotel's breakfast selection was quite worthwhile.

H) I requested a wake-up and while I didn't need it as I had already awakened, it did come at the requested time.

I) Dinner - as many have said the train station area doesn't have notable restaurants. Their either quite costly or you have to resort to McDonald's, pizza, or sandwiches bought in the railroad station. For what ever reason, I hadn't left myself with enough euros (I did have plenty of US $ on me, but didn't want to have to convert again) to spend on a good expensive dinner and I wanted something more than fast food, so I decided to have a nice dinner at the hotel which I would sign for and have it charged to the room. A small appetizer appeared gratis, then I had a mushroom salad, a pasta main course, a bottle of water, and a beer came to 30 ($42 US dollars) Euros including the cover charge. I don't think it was worth 42 US dollars but at least it was pretty good.

J) Check out was hassle free.

Summary: I was pleased with the hotel and was sorry that I hadn't stayed there upon my arrival (I bookended Milan at the beginning and end of my travels in Italy). I asked about the internet and yes it was expensive, but it always is at a hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank SarasotaMike

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 22 October 2010

We were very happy at this hotel and it was a wonderful way to begin our trip through Italy. The staff were very helpful and everything was great. Our room was clean as was the lovely breakfast room which served a generous breakfast. It's a great location near the station and we would stay again. This was our experience.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 19 October 2010

I traveled to Italy and decided to spend at least one night in Milan. I searched for hotels close to the train station and found this one (Splendido). It was rated as a 4 star hotel and it comes from a brand or chain of hotels, which for the most part, are quite attractive and cozy, so imagine my surprise to see the dated stature of the room; cracked and water marked ceilings, chipped paint on the walls and worst of all, the shower curtain in the bathroom reeked of urine! There are other hotels in the vicinity and as a result I encourage anyone looking for a hotel in Milan, with quick access to the train station to NOT stay here. I could not wait to leave - and staying there one night felt like a lifetime.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jennys_trips
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 10 October 2010

I was in this hotel in september for a business trip, and i tought to find the same quality of other star hotels i was. It wasn't so: breackfast was only for a three star hotel, and the room was not very clean. The room was noisy , with the windows on the street.
The people on the concierge were very nice and helpful, and they give me an umbrella in the morning ( it was raining ). I have to say that , in the same zone ( near the station ) for nearly same price it is possible to have better hotels.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 8 October 2010

Pros: About 200 metres from Central Station, this hotel is good for people travelling by train. The breakfast room is pleasant, the staff courteous and the food selection reasonably good.
Cons: Our room was very plain, the shower stall was small and its entrance very narrow. We found only one decent restaurant in the vicinity. This is a 3-star hotel at a 4-star price. It's best feature is the proximity to the station.

Somerset, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 September 2010

The hotel had some good points and bad points and overall I think we got what we paid for.

Good points - The hotel was really easy to find from the Statione Centrale, the breakfast was good and the staff were friendly.

Bad points - You could hear the metro going past every 10 minutes until late which was so loud it shook the room.

It was a great location, however if I was to visit Milan again I would maybe look at staying further out of the city.

Florida
Reviewed 15 September 2010

My hubby and I took a 2 weeks trip to Italy and this was the worst hotel of all. The wallpaper was completely coming off, literally peeling off the wall, the carpet was nasty and stained. Both of us wore shoes to walk around. The bathroom ceilling had like a crate so you could see right through it and you could see all the wires and pipers etc. Nasty!!!! It was really cose to the train station so perfect location, otherwise waste of money.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Diego N, Manager at Starhotels E.c.ho., responded to this review, 24 October 2011
Dear "diamondie"

In November 2010 Starhotels Splendido closed and after approximately nine months had been completely renovated from basement to roof top ! With a new name , Starhotels E.c.ho. , and a new concept, ECOLOGY, it is located near Milan’s Central Train Station and easily connected to all the city’s main sites. The hotel’s acronym E.c.ho. stands for Eco Contemporary Hotel and is a perfect place to experience eco-friendly hospitality.
The hotel offers 143 accommodations, including 13 suites and junior suites, 5 meeting rooms able to welcome a total of 240 participants, a fitness room with a panoramic view, bar, restaurant and courtyard facing the garden.
Many thanks