I booked this hotel for my last night in Italy for its proximity to the airport buses. I was a little leery about this choice of hotel because of the many negative reviews here at Trip Advisor. But I am happy to say that I suffered none of the negative experiences at the Splendido that others pointed out.
A) My room was not in the least bit small. I was in Room 430 which was the last one at the end of the hall of the wing to the right from the elevators. It wasn't the least bit noisy.
B) The bathroom was large enough with a bath tub with a shower (Not a narrow shower stall). The bathroom also included a small TV and a phone. Ample towels including bath-mat and washcloths.
C) I had requested a double bed (King or queen) because of my height. It turned out to be two twins pushed together but the bed had enough length and was very comfortable.
D) I arrived by train in Milano Central at about 1145 but they checked me in right away. I was not required to wait.
E) One couple in an earlier review stated that they had left money in the room and a small amount was taken. My room came equipped with a safe which was situated in the closet. The problem with the safe was that the room did not have an indirect ceiling light - just lamps on the bedstands and desk - so I wasn't able to read the instructions on how to use the safe. It looked like you'd have to create a combination.
F) Check in staff very nice and welcoming. Had no problem with them at all.
G) Breakfast was ample with tasty brioche or croissants. There were scrambled eggs with bacon available, plus hot and cold cereals, breads, cakes, fruits, yogurt, and juices. On the whole Europe still doesn't come close to Asia for the breakfast buffets, but this hotel's breakfast selection was quite worthwhile.
H) I requested a wake-up and while I didn't need it as I had already awakened, it did come at the requested time.
I) Dinner - as many have said the train station area doesn't have notable restaurants. Their either quite costly or you have to resort to McDonald's, pizza, or sandwiches bought in the railroad station. For what ever reason, I hadn't left myself with enough euros (I did have plenty of US $ on me, but didn't want to have to convert again) to spend on a good expensive dinner and I wanted something more than fast food, so I decided to have a nice dinner at the hotel which I would sign for and have it charged to the room. A small appetizer appeared gratis, then I had a mushroom salad, a pasta main course, a bottle of water, and a beer came to 30 ($42 US dollars) Euros including the cover charge. I don't think it was worth 42 US dollars but at least it was pretty good.
J) Check out was hassle free.
Summary: I was pleased with the hotel and was sorry that I hadn't stayed there upon my arrival (I bookended Milan at the beginning and end of my travels in Italy). I asked about the internet and yes it was expensive, but it always is at a hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our striking 4 star hotel in Milan is next to the Central railway station, a few minutes from the city centre. Our innovative green hotel in Milan features intelligent design and low energy consumption, so as well as enjoying yourself, you'll know you are helping the environment. The look and feel is natural and elegant, with plenty of natural light everywhere thanks to the ample windows, terraces and other outdoor spaces. The new Starhotels E.C.Ho. Has 143 contemporary rooms and suites, a restaurant and bar (the Partnership with Eataly means new value and uniqueness for Starhotels’ offering.)5 meeting rooms, fitness room and more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Ctrip TA, Agoda, Travel Republic (UK), Ebookers, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., getaroom.com, Hotel.de, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Starhotels E.c.ho. reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Starhotels e.c.Ho. Hotel Milan
- Starhotels Splendido Milan
- Starhotels Splendido Hotel Milan