“So bad that I joined trip advisor to review!”

Starhotels Rosa Grand
Ranked #44 of 428 Hotels in Milan
Hong Kong, China
“So bad that I joined trip advisor to review!”
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I stayed at Rosa Grand in December 2013. It was my second ever stay at this hotel but will be my last.

I was traveling in and out of Milan so had to make three separate non-consecutive reservations, one night each.

The first stay, I was given a tiny bed in a miserable room that was smaller than my friend's who booked the same category. It was miles away from the lift and had a window facing the back stairwell. As it was one night, and I was very tired after a 12 hour journey, I did not bother making a fuss. This was definitely one of those "last sell" rooms which some hotels have. Not very acceptable considering I made the reservation weeks in advance.

On the second stay, I made it a point to request for a room near the elevator and a double bed at check-in. The room was again miles away from the lift and had two twin beds. It's almost as if they intentionally ignored my requests. I understand that certain requests are just "requests", but I was guaranteed a double bed so I should at least get that. I went down to the front desk and again asked for a room near the elevator and a room with a double bed. The front desk agent looked at me blankly and rudely asked "any other requests?" as if to suggest I was being difficult. I was pretty shocked and responded, "These are not new requests. I had booked a room with a double bed and had already asked you for a room near the elevator at check-in.". He did not respond and simply cut me a new key. I discovered the room was again miles away from the lift and this time the key didn't work. By now, I was pretty fed up and had no choice but to return to the front desk. The final room assignment was my old room from the previous stay which was the miserable "last sell" room. I gave up and at this point decided this would be my last stay. Unfortunately, the three bookings I made were prepaid so I would have to stay a third time, the following week. Later that day, I received an email from the hotel saying they overcharged my credit card and that the correct amount would be charged. I read the email and thought to myself "figures!".

On the third stay, My room was yet again very far from the lift and had two twin beds. At this point, i just laughed. It was however significantly bigger than the "last sell" room I was given on the last 2 stays. But it was not an upgrade. It was simply what I paid for but was not given the last time. While I did not ask for my usual requests at check-in, any decent hotel would have updated my preferences in my guest profile and considering the mess ups from the last stay would have made it a point to get it right. That was obviously too much to ask for. Later in the evening, I stopped by the front desk to see if I could get a cash advance. The Rosa Grand apparently does not offer this service which I found strange. Again in my experience, any decent hotel offers this service. I asked if they could do cash exchange to which they directed me to the concierge desk. When I got to the concierge desk, the agent was on the phone and did not acknowledge me waiting with a gesture or anything. This is basic hotel training. When he finally got off the phone, I discovered they don't do cash exchanges. I just smiled, said thank you and went out for dinner. The next morning I checked out and said good riddance.

I actually work in the hotel industry - have been for almost 20 years. The service and incompetence of this hotel is simply shocking. I was so annoyed that this is in fact my first review on trip advisor. I will never stay at this hotel ever again. There are much better options available in the area and I would gladly pay triple for a nicer, better managed hotel with some class.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank KLTA4
RosaGrand, Direttore at Starhotels Rosa Grand, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Dear KLTA4,

Thank you very much for choosing our hotel for your recent stays in Milan and for taking part of your precious time to review your experience.

Guest’s comments and suggestions are very important to us and we regret to learn our failure in meeting your expectations. The events reported do not represent the level of hospitality that we strive to guarantee to our Guests. Assuring appropriate actions to prevent the recurrence of similar experiences such as your, we would be pleased to know more in details about your reservation and the staff who you encountered during the stay.

Should you wish to reconsider our hotel for eventual stays in Milan, you are kindly invited to contact us directly to agree the most suitable accommodation for your needs.

We really hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back and to have a new opportunity for regaining your preference.

The Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 2 January 2014

The hotel was in an amazing location (right next to the Duomo and Galleries Vittorio, and a quick walk to the main shopping districts).

It lacked anything special and seemed like it was missing a few touches to elevate the experience from ok to average.

The rooms were acceptable, but seemed to lack a few things as to describe the experience as particularly comfortable, clean nor special.

Breakfast was disappointing, but it is to be expected that the scale and size of the hotel limits the quality of the breakfast as they have to make it in bulk. Very limited range of food.

All in all, the stay was average. Nothing terrible, nothing remarkable.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Lola1493
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 December 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at the Rosa Grand from the 10th-12th December. As soon as i arrived at the hotel i was made to feel welcome. The front desk were friendly and helpful along with the waiting staff who were never far away and even the smallest of tasks was not a problem. The concierge also sorted out a ticket for the Milan Ajax match and the seats were superb.

My room was fantastic and the food from the restaraunt was great.

I can't recommend this hotel highly enough and when i hopefully go back to Milan i will be booking a stay at the Rosa Grand. The location is also unbelievable and right behind the Duomo.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Dear Mr. Nicholas,

Thank you very much for your kind review.

We are very glad that you appreciated our hotel and our service.
Your comments are very rewarding and motivating to continue on this way.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the nearest future.

Pfaeffikon, Switzerland
Reviewed 30 December 2013

One of the family run Starhotels Group, a success story in the Italian hospitality industry founded on the core values of Italian style, professionalism and business sense. Like the other Starhotels we happened to stay in Italy, Rosa Grand is well appointed and maintained, prominently designed and conveniently located, in quiet area yet steps away from Duomo. And like the others, it is built for business rather than leisure travellers - efficient rather than friendly, impressive rather than homely. That said, undoubtedly professional and business minded service, nothing to complain about. If only the choice of toiletries, why should they be “made in P.R.C.” given such a bewildering range of home products?

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Alicante, Spain
Reviewed 30 December 2013

A nice hotel in a great tourist location near the Duomo. Walking distance to shops and restaurants. We had an executive room with big windows and a nice city view. The room had a simple designer style. It was sufficiently big and clean with a nice small bathroom (no separate shower). Safe, kettle and cups, complimentary water every day. We missed complimentary black tea and regular coffee (there were 2 bags of cappuccino for the whole stay plus herb tea bags). Complimentary bottle of water was available every day. Shampoo, conditioner, body wash and soap were supplemented every day. The front desk staff was somewhat odd (telling stories what non-same-sex guest may need a bed for), but they were helpful and efficient. We had a rate with free internet, which was not fully true. After long discussions at check-in we received passwords for 2 devices for 24 hours only. We were told to switch off the laptop, when we want to use a smartphone or a tablet (!). Breakfast was extremely crowded, but the staff was very fast an efficient. The concierge was the best and most helpful that I have ever encountered at a hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 17 December 2013

I have spent 2 nights in this hotel situated next to the famous Dome. It has got a perfect location in the center of Milan, close to galleries as well as famous fashion shopping malls and boutiques. My room was comfortable, big enough, enough space for working too. Fast wi-fi, friendly staff, great location. The best choice for Milan

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Chisinau, Moldova
Reviewed 13 December 2013

With its central location, the Starhotels Rosa Grand is the best venue we have ever been to. The meeting rooms are spacious and well equipped with modern conference technology. The interior design of the hotel is nice and the restaurants are great. All this makes the hotel best suited for business people.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
RosaGrand, Direttore at Starhotels Rosa Grand, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Dear Ms. Irina S,

Thank you very much for your kind review.

We are very glad that you appreciated our hotel and its meeting facilities.
Your comments are very rewarding and motivating to continue on this way.

We really hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the nearest future.