“Wonder why 4*... ”

Rosa Grand – Starhotels Collezione
Ranked #45 of 428 Hotels in Milan
Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

Despite the geographic situation (Milan city centre) and a nice staff, this hotel doesn't really deserve its 4*.
I booked a standard room (215€/night - not that "cheap") and I couldn't even access to free wi-fi because my room standard was too low!!! A so-called 4* makes you pay internet access in 2014? Come on!!! This can be the policy of Starhotels as I have been told but my policy is to stay far away to such kind of places now that Internet is free even in the most remote places!!! (And you need it for work!)
So let me tell you to avoid staying in this place! You have choice in Milan and for the same price you can have something much better...
The quality of the room, the products proposed wasn't that "wow" either! So stay away!!!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Fran2611
RosaGrand, Direttore at Rosa Grand – Starhotels Collezione, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Dear Fran2611,

Thank you very much for sharing your recent experience with us.

We regret to learn our failure in meeting your expectations.
You comments have been reviewed by the Management staff to ensure that we are consistently offering the highest levels of service.

We would like to inform you that the Internet service is included for reservations in Deluxe and upper category of rooms. Additionally, we offer to our kind Guests one daily hour free within each room and any public area in the hotel.

With the hope that you may reconsider our hotel for eventual stays in Milan, we look foward to serving you again.

The Management

Write a ReviewReviews (1,843)

Reviewed 24 February 2014

Let me start off by saying that this hotel is in an excellent location. One could not wish for a more central location whilst staying in Milan. The rooms are fairly large, clean and extremely comfortable. The receptionists (with a special mention being given to Enrico) are helpful, polite and smart. We also enjoyed the breakfast and the selection was varied by Italian standards. Unfortunately though we left this hotel on a very disappointed note. The day before we were due to leave we were advised that our flight was cancelled due to a strike. We also found out there was a taxi strike in Milan to make matters worse. We went to the reception desk fully confident that they would help us in this situation. Unfortunately it was not down to them to decide and they had to get confirmation from the hotel manager. Imagine our dismay and shock when we were told that if we wanted to stay the extra night the manager demanded that we pay €500 for a room! The normal rate is an average of €200 depending on the category of the room! One would think that bearing all the circumstances the manager would go out of his way to accommodate us but it was quite the opposite.

I am not in any way blaming the receptionists. They did all they could to help but we were left facing a dilemma... No hotel and no taxis! There was no way we would succumb to paying over twice as much for a room just because we were stranded.

Luckily one way or another we found another hotel and a means of transportation (private taxi) with our very heavy luggage but needless to say the manager's actions put a very large black mark on what was otherwise a wonderful stay at the Starhotel Rosa.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank MaltaTeresa
RosaGrand, Direttore at Rosa Grand – Starhotels Collezione, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

Dear Malta Tere,

Thank you very much for sharing your recent experience with us.

We are very pleased to know that you appreciated our hotel and service provided, though we regret for learning our failure in dealing with your travel issue.

Please be assured that your comments have been reviewed by the Management staff to ensure that we are consistently offering the highest levels of service, in functional and relaxing surroundings.

Looking forward to your next visit, please do not hesitate to contact us directly.

We would be more than pleased to assist you for any eventual request.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

Stayed here in November for 3 Nights.Excellent location, just behind the Duomo cathedral. Very gentle staff at the reception. Beautiful Big rooms, nicely decorated and quiet during night. Good Breakfast with a wide choice.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 February 2014

I booked this hotel based on the review/photos and felt quite misled. Apparently there is a new wing and old wing, hence two styles of deco. I stayed here in Feb for two nights at average 191 euro which I considered extrememly pricey for what I got. The hotel was in the central location, next to Duomo. But my room was fairly bad. When I checked in, they told me only old wing is avilable but newly renovated (their newly renovated was still the old fashioned furnishing & old basic styled bathroom). I was on the 4th floor and the room stank like old ciggarettes, which would not air out even with windows open. The down beds were too hot for winter, even without the room heating on and windows open. Because it was only two nights, I didn't ask for a room change. My friend stayed here same wk & paid the same price but in the new wing. So I feel this rate for old nasty room in the old wing was a total rip-off.
The lobby was very modern and would fit the criteria of a hip hotel, but my room was a total turn off. Breakfast was good, similar to any large hotel style breakfast.

Room Tip: Make sure you know what room you are really paying for. Newly decorated in new wing is far diffferen...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank golligosh
RosaGrand, Direttore at Rosa Grand – Starhotels Collezione, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

Dear golligosh,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us..

We regret to learn our failure in meeting your expectations with the room’s allocation and apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced.

Should you wish to reconsider our hotel for eventual stays in Milan, you are kindly invited to contact us directly to agree the most suitable accommodation for your needs.

We do hope to welcoming you back to us.

Reviewed 5 February 2014

Perfect located. Impossible to find better location at a couple of mts. The il Duomo. You could have a room with a view directo y yo the Duomo. Sleep in an Excellent Bed
The only thing i missed was the Italian Charm of the team and a better cleaning rooms

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Stayed here for three nights as we have stayed on previous trips. Glad to say that the hotel was up to its usual high standards. Room was lovely, beautifully furnished and we had a lovely view of the cathedral. Breakfast was great unless you arrived at the end. Selection was everything you could want, this breakfast ranks no 3 on my top breakfast hotels just behind the belagio Las Vegas and the Carlton in Cannes.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 February 2014

When I normally visit Milan I stay at the Straf, however, after a deteriorating experience of late I decided to change venue and I was exceptionally pleased I did.

The room I was given (112 I believe) was well equipped with two double beds, large bathroom / toilet and an overall bright and airy feel. There was some street noise but it was blocked out somewhat if you shut the large wooden blinds in your room.

Checking in at reception was relatively quick , staff were friendly and helpful but couldn't accommodate my request of a high floor.

I made the fatal error of choosing to order some late night room service (A lasagne) which was awful, however, I won't judge the hotel on its ability to deliver food at gone midnight but it definitely let the hotel down somewhat.

The breakfast was relatively well equipped for a continental breakfast and overall the hotel had a nice vibe with a location that is hard to beat.

Good experience, definitely consider staying there again next visit.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
RosaGrand, Direttore at Rosa Grand – Starhotels Collezione, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

Dear RichardG1,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us and for taking part of your precious time to review your experience.

We are very glad to know that you appreciated our hotel finding the staff friendly and helpful.
Your comments are very rewarding and motivating to continue on this way.

Looking forward to your next visit, we are confident that we can also meet your room service expectations.

The management