“Amazing location - Super friendly staff”

Rosa Grand – Starhotels Collezione
Ranked #45 of 427 Hotels in Milan
Reviewed 23 September 2009

The location was next door to the Duomo Cathedral. Its was the most central you could be to the shops and the attractions. The hotel staff were all so polite and helpful, from the door man, to the concierge. They all made such an effort. The room was a good size, clean and comfortable. Only downside was that the hotel was a little expensive. Cost me and my partner £650 for 3 nights. But all hotels in milan are expensive...no getting away from that really!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 18 September 2009

In the heart of the city a stonesthrow from the Cathedral, from the Gallery and from the roads of the shopping. Elegant reception, service in room refined, breakfast excellent, excellent and fast the service laundromat. Any problem connection internet. Found in room all the types of comfort with a mini cafe furnished of good liqueurs.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 September 2009

It started out OK, room seemed nice, but there was no shower screen and the bathroom ended up a swimming pool after 1 shower.
Paid breakfast was non- existant at advertised time, even after waiting for 1/2 hour, not even coffee. The chef gave us a contempuous look as if we were an inconvenience for her to be up so early. As we had to leave to get a train, staff refused to give refund. Subsequently left my phone in the restaurant. Called hotel 30 minutes later to confirm it was there, 3 weeks later after paying 50 Euro for it's return, I get an unopened parcel containing a bag of paper. 3 Weeks after the Hotel "investigate", they claim it is "Not their responsibility". Not even an appology let alone a refund, for no breakfast or a missing phone. Apparently we stay there at "our convenience" - or words to that effect. So my advice is not to. Total lack of respect for us as paying "guests".

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
6  Thank pipenlea
StarhotelsExcelsior, Customer Service Starhotels at Rosa Grand – Starhotels Collezione, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2009

Dear "pipenlea",
Firstly, we would like to thank you for leaving your comments regarding Starhotels Rosa Grand. We appreciate any feedback, both positive and negative, from of our clients using this means of communication as a way of defining transparency on both ends. As you know, but failed to mention, the various situations that you had experienced during your stay with us were carefully dealt with directly by the hotel management, Customer Service department and yourself. We feel that the title of this comment is inappropriate in view of the correspondence exchanged and assistance given by Starhotels.
We really do hope to have the opportunity to have you once again as our guest in the future and to have the possibility to change this “negative” image given to our company.

Very best regards,
Customer Service Starhotels

Reviewed 13 September 2009

1. Great, I mean GREAT location!
2. Clean and comfy rooms. our room was especially large, with a sofa, armachair, and enough room to play ball in! :D
3. Nice continental breakfast and GREAT coffee (ok, so this IS italy, and coffee is great everywhere, but they would serve us anything from coffee americano, to esprsso and macchiato free of charge! For a coffee addict such as myself that s millions of bonus points!)
4. Friendly staff.
5. Hotel undergoing renovation during the time of our stay. No noise disturbances, but we got one of the non-renovated rooms that were not as pretty as the new ones. The size of the room though made up for the lack of pretty pink pillows-we didnot mind a bit. Triple room = 3 twin beds!!!! :D HUGE bathrooms too!
6. Corridors of the hotel (from elevator to room) are literally a labyrinth! the hotel staff had print out signs with arrows (rooms 101-104 left, 105-107 straight, 107-111 left! ) on every corner of the corridors. We had a few good laughs walking to our room EVERY single time! :D

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 August 2009

The Rosa Grand portrays itself as an upscale business or short-break hotel in a great location. The photos on the website depict a modern, trendy, upscale hotel with a decent list of amenities. The reality is a somewhat run-down, no-frills hotel with management issues and some extortionate pricing on the amenities although the location is hard to beat.

Upon arrival, we had difficulty finding the hotel because it has no outside markings whatsoever. No address, no signage, nothing. The doorman is the only indicator that there is something located on this rather mundane looking building on this little, back road piazza.

The place was pretty unimpressive at first glance but I was willing to give it a fair shake. Check-in was smooth until the desk clerk informed me that their private parking facility, which was one of the reasons I selected this hotel, was under renovation and they had contracted with a nameless outside garage which would cost an additional 50 euro per day and I would not be able to take my car there or drop it off. The garage would send someone for the car. I was unhappy about the additional 100 euro for my two-night stay and more unhappy about the prospect of handing the keys to my BMW over to some fly-by-night valet service with a poorly photocopied liability disclaimer. I asked if there were any other options... I was told by the clerk that parking was virtually non-existent in the area and that this was my only option. Since I booked through hotels.com, the two room reservation was prepaid and I was pretty much stuck. I convinced myself that this was the reason I had insurance, removed everything essential from the vehicle and let them take it.

Off to the rooms... another somewhat daunting task. The room assigned to my wife and I was very near the elevator, the other assigned to her parents was literally about 80 meters from the elevator down a warren of narrow, dimly lit corridors with peeling drywall and worn carpeting with four intersections which joined at varying angles. My elderly in-laws, refused to switch rooms because they had already begun to unpack but in during the two days we were there they got lost twice in the building and it took them about 10 minutes to get down to the breakfast room in the mornings. I even got lost myself once and decided to take the stairs to the lobby which set off an alarm even though the stairwell was open with no doors.

The rooms themselves were a mixed bag. New fixtures, nice woodwork and furnishings were betrayed by dated, chipped, ceramic bathroom tile, missing grout and heavily worn carpeting. Internet access was available in the room but was unreasonably priced at 10 euro per hour or 22 per day and there was no public internet access available.

The other amenities were also a joke. The "fitness center" was a hot, little room in a remote section of the building with a couple of machines and some free weights with a little toilet room attached. I explored the lower areas off of the lobby where several large meeting rooms were located. The peeling paint, disheveled furnishings and dark halls said a lot but I found a business center with computers which had Starhotels login screens, printers, and a scanner. I returned to the lobby and asked if there was public internet access there and how to login. I was told that the downstairs areas no longer belong to the hotel and the business center was not available.

On to breakfast... The breakfast was really okay with the usual fare of meats, cheeses, cereals, breads and even bacon and eggs but the staff was not very friendly, the coffee wasn't very good (this is always important to me!) and the large, austere, cube of a room with what appeared to be plastic lawn chairs as furnishing lacked ambiance to say the least.

The only positive I have about this hotel was the location. It's right behind the Duomo and within minutes of world class shopping and dining.

The price seemed like a fair value when I booked . The place looked first-rate and I was very pleased that I was able to get such great accommodations during high-season on relatively short notice but having stayed there, not only will I never patronize this or any other other Starhotel location, I will happily warn anyone who will listen to avoid them as well. I feel that this hotel is grossly misrepresented on their website and I am astonished that the reviews here and other websites don't reflect this fact. It's not at all nice, luxurious, business-oriented or even adequate by my standards. I've paid less for vastly superior hotels and amenities in both Paris and London this year. Milan can be fun, but not if you stay here.

Note: Many of the reviews here on TA mention the renovation currently in progress at this property and some even say that it is complete. The current "renovation" may be a huge step up from the past, I don't know but I do know what I saw, not only is the "renovation" far from complete, it's haphazard with many signs of water damage and recently patched walls. The parking garage bait-and-switch is inexcusable. The furnishings and decor of the common areas generally appear dated, worn and badly in need another "renovation".

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
5  Thank Aelwyn
Reviewed 23 July 2009

We stayed in 2 interconnecting Deluxe Rooms.
Positives:
The rooms were renovated , modern and luxurious in decor ( as per the photos on their website.) Luxurious bedding with frette duvets! Complimentary tea/coffee making facilities. The lobby is modern - check in very efficient. Buffet breakfast was simple but plentiful, and served in the nice modern restaurant. The location cannot be beat- just steps to the Duomo!!!

Negatives
Internet available but at a cost (very expensive!!!)

Overall, a great hotel!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 July 2009

Pros: clean, english speaking, take mastercard, business and modern type atmosphere, kinda big hotel, great location behind duomo. Breakfast is actually pretty ok.
Cons: kinda pricey overall, but reasonable value for Milan (it was our cheapest option, bought thru priceline), AC was weak. background renovation happening during our visit.

Ok, thru priceline we paid something like $140/night as of 6/09. The hotel is modern and clean, being renovated and next door to duomo location. Has standard business type hotel amenities. Breakfast is actually reasonable. The bread was warm and tasty, fruit is reasonably fresh, and coffee/espresso is great. Our AC not so strong but it was managable. They speak english and are helpful with getting taxis and stuff. Basically the cheapest hotel I could get during this time in Milan at this duomo location, and it turned out ok and reasonable to be in. I recommend this hotel for its location , cleanliness and value at thiat time. $200/night would be pushing it. Pictures included.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple