“BOOK SOMEWHERE ELSE”

Best Western Hotel Madison
Ranked #94 of 426 Hotels in Milan
Reviewed 1 November 2013

How this hotel ever got even one star I will never know. My colleague and I arrived at approx 10.00 pm on a Sunday evening only to be told that the receptionist would be with us shortly. Nearly 15 minutes later we are still waiting!
As we check in we ask if there is a restaurant nearby that is open - The man who eventually arrived to check us in was very quick to give us a card for a local restaurant - Guess what - After 15 minutes walk to find same establishment - Closed on a Sunday!!
Next our cells - Yes - I recently joined a public tour of Shrewsbury Prison (now closed) and the cells there are larger. The room was approx 1m wide and 2m long.
Next problem - Air conditioning. When I checked the thermostat it "clicked" off at 27 degrees! and I could not get it to work on cool mode. I went to reception only to be told that the air conditioning had been turned off the week before as the outside temperature had dropped and that it was law in Italy that air conditioning could not be used last week in October (as if!!)
I tried to sleep with the window open, but as you can imagine the traffic in central Milan made the noise unbearable. As I lay there unable to sleep due to the high temperature I decided to try and watch something on the advertised international satellite TV - Only non Italian channel was CNN news that repeats every 10 to 15 minutes - The boredom eventually sent me to sleep at approx 6.00 AM. Also throughout the night every time any guest in any room nearby used the bathroom, they may as well have been in my room the sound traveled so clearly.
Next breakfast - A reasonable selection was on offer - cereal, juices, congealed scrambled eggs, soggy bacon, warm orange and grapefruit juice - Staff stood around looking bored not clearing any used plates.
When I went to reception to say we wanted to check out to move to another hotel, we were told that our payment was non-refundable and we would not get anything back as we had booked through "bookings.com".
Anyone who can give this hotel any rating must have experienced some terrible places beforehand!!!!! - My advise - STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE.

Room Tip: Try a different hotel - There are plenty in the immediate area
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank simon m
Camilla D, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Best Western Hotel Madison, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2013

Dear Mr ,
Thank you for your mail , which was very useful for us to improve our way of working . Let me be NOT completely agree with your judges.
For the problem of the restaurant, I am sorry, but I really think that you and your colleague has NOT FOUND the restaurant we usually suggested because I am sure that restaurant is open all week until 1 am .
After a careful inspection, made personally ,The room assigned to you and your colleague is one of our standard rooms with a perfectly normal floor area for a room situated in a city like Milano, in town center . I am sorry but it is 1m wide and 2m long but the TRUE IS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT,
For the problem you had with the air conditioning: In October, usually in Milan WE DO NOT HAVE 25°DEGREE, so that why the air condition had been switched off by the general control, that’s why the room was too hot for you, I will always suggest to you to ask to change the room, maybe an INSIDE ROOM could be the correct SOLUTION: open window, no traffic, no Tv and PERFECT RELAX
For the Tv, we Will try to improve our international system, and thanks for the suggestion.

Regarding the price, unfortunately if the guest reserve online , we can not change the reservation, because it is not a direct client, and we must follow the low of the market. That why we always suggest to our customers to see all the details of the reservation if they made it on line.

We are very sorry for this negative comment, and that your expectations have not been pleased and I will invite you again as our guest at the Madison Hotel. I will personally guide you to visit all our Hotel so that you will realize the LARGE range of comfortable ROOMS of various sizes ( and prices) that BW Hotel Madison customers can choose independently.
We are at your complete disposal for any further information-Best regards

There are newer reviews for Best Western Hotel Madison

Reviewed 12 October 2013

A good deal, considering it was fashion week... and the junior suite was really nice for the price. The location is pretty good, a very cheap and short taxi ride into the main parts of town. The hotel offers a daily happy hour, with free antipasto nibbles, as is the tradition. A good way to start your evening before heading out. There is a really good little restaurant called 'terrafirma' behind the large church outside and to the right. A bit of a walk down to the next street and around behind, but worth it.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Located at a 5 min walk from the centrale station..is a functional hotel for a day or two..small rooms, but decent price..good staff and excellent food options..breakfast menu could ve been better but still has decent hot breakfast items as well - which is sometimes a challenge in Europe

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Camilla D, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Best Western Hotel Madison, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

dear SIrs,
thanks for your suggestions !
we hope to see you again

Reviewed 2 October 2013

Had a one day stop over in Milan, the hotel is clean, pleasant and helpful staff. The parking is very small and you will need to book in advance. The single rooms (which I had) are all the same, small in size, fits a small single size bed and a path way to the toilet. The toilets were noticeably clean and modern. Their breakfast was good.

Room Tip: Choose a lower floor, that way you need not wait for the elevator.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 October 2013

We were quite pleased with the Hotel Madison. We went out the side door of the Central Train station and it was just about two blocks away, right across from a church. This is not a high end neighborhood but it was fine to walk around at night and we found a market, a self-service Laundromat, a very good Chinese restaurant, a good wood burning pizzeria (Le Chalet on via Tonale) and a metro station all within a three block radius. We asked for an inside room on the 4th floor per Trip Advisor recommendations and, although we did not have a great view (which was fine), it was nice and spacious with a safe, refrigerator, free wi-fi, air conditioning and nice bathroom. The water pressure could have been a little stronger. This is also the same floor that the breakfast room is on. The desk staff were quite friendly and helpful and printed off some train reservations I emailed to them for free. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Inside room on 4th floor per previous recommendation.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Camilla D, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Best Western Hotel Madison, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2013

Dear SGK California,
thanks for your suggestions. Bw Hotel Madison is very happy because every day we are here to be usefull for our guest.
We hope to see you soon
thansk

Reviewed 18 September 2013

First thing I'd like to say is that the room is that the location is very good as it is next to the train station/metro. You can get to wherever you want to go in the city from here. The rooms are very comfy and the staff speaks good English and they were very helpful. The bathrooms were nice but I absolutely hated the toilet. It was too small and in a cramped position. There are not too many good places to eat around the hotel, but venture out and you will find some nice places.

Room Tip: Stay by the train station.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Camilla D, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Best Western Hotel Madison, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2013

Dear Dallas,
thanks for your kind reply. We hope to see you again in our Hotel !
best regards

Reviewed 16 September 2013

Currently at this hotel and not happy at all.
IF you are only staying in Milan for 1 night and need somewhere close to Central Station then this is the place for you. The rooms aren't bad, small but clean. The bed however is not comfortable and there is only 1 very thin flat pillow.
IF you are coming to Milan for a few days to sight see, then stay somewhere else. It is close to the metro but many hotels are. This property is not 4 star standard.
On arrival the receptionists words were :this is your room number. And that's it. No further info re; breakfast or wifi until I asked. Then in the room there was a very strong burning smell. We reported this to reception who got maintenance to check. Then they bleached the bathroom (an even stronger smell) and said if the burning smell is there in 1-2 hours they might swap our room. Well of course 2 hours later we could only smell bleach.
The next day, we had breakfast which admittedly was not bad. Then ventured out around the city. Before leaving the room we secured all valuables as usual and there was some coins on the table we needed specifically for the metro the next day so before leaving I put a h&m bag on top (I'm very paranoid about these things!) well of course when we get home the bag is moved and the money is gone. I go down to reception and inform them and they did maybe the maid thought it was a tip (under a bag - I don't think so!). The money to me is not an issue it was only a few € it's that I worry for other people's valuables who stay here. They said they will talk to housekeeping tomorrow.
The reception said it was the first time they have heard of this happening and that it was strange for this hotel.. Well it's news to me too!
The lady at the reception who handled both our complaints was very polite and tried her best to resolve our issues. All staff speak enough English to get by.
The area it is in is grubby and not many restaurants nearby.
The duomo and main sights are wonderful.. We have had 2 days here and it's been enough.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank kaurissalee714

Dear Kaurisalee714,
thanks for your reply. All your suggestion, will be followed to help our work to improve again, and to give you the possibility to have a better experiece in the future in BW Hotel Madison.
We will try to do our best every day, but sometimes someone of us can make a mistake.
We are sorry for this.
We hope to see you again in our Hotel, allow us the possibility to show you our smile, our new rooms, our breakfast, and all our services

thanks again.