“WORST HOTEL EVER!!!!”

Best Western Hotel Madison
Ranked #90 of 431 Hotels in Milan
Reviewed 4 April 2014

DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!
Save your money and spend the night at Centrale Station instead. This was the absolute worst experience ever!!!
First of all, we paid for a non-smoking room, and yet ou room absolutely REEKED of cigarette smoke. Note, I have asthma, so it was almost impossible for me to stay here, yet we were only there for one night and they were pretty booked. Thank god our room had a window, which my fiancée opened for a few hrs while we wandered around Milan. It helped, but only marginally til we got into bed. The bedsheets stunk of smoke.
Stayed awake all night..

The bathrooms need a huge renovation. Poor lighting and very dingy. All in all, would minus stars if I could

Room Tip: No ventilation........Everything reeks of cigarette smoke!!!!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Marissa G

Reviewed 27 January 2014

Hotel is 5mins walk from main train station and metro, easy to get to airport or into town. The rooms are modern, clean, spacious and free wifi in all areas. The hotel is off the main road so you can get a good nights sleep. Surprise was how friendly and helpful the staff were especially Sante the night receptionist who went out of his way to find us a restaurant that was open at 12midnight and within walking distance when we arrived from the airport tired and hungry. Was a transit hotel but definately would stay there again if I had to spend a longer visit in Milan.

Room Tip: We had a double room on the first floor facing the church and it was BIG
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Stayed here for and overnite while in transit on a busines trip. I have visited this area on 5 ocasions previously. V hotel good if you you need convenience close to Milano Centrale. Buses at reasonable prices to and from Milan airports just around the corner. There are several small hotels in the area but many are very old, of a poor standard and not great value. This is the best I have found and belongs to a recoginsed chain. My room was small but clean. Service was very acceptable and breakfeast good also.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Dogbie
Camilla D, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Best Western Hotel Madison, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

Dear sir,
thanks for your suggestion and opinion! Hope to see you again

Reviewed 23 November 2013

Great location, being just 5min away from the Central Station. The hotel room was rather small, but in no way was it a problem. Our room view was good (next to the church/school).
Rated sleeping quality to good because in one of the two stay nights our neighbors were rather chatty and I could hear them.
+ room very clean
+ free wi-fi
+ beds were comfortable
+ staff speaks English
The breakfast was ok
The receptionists were really helpful and pleasant. Although we booked for only 2 nights, after the check out we left our luggage for the day. We came back at midnight and since we had no alternative where my friend and I could spend the rest 2 hours until our shuttle bus (no bar/restaurant open after midnight) we stayed in the reception hall.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank MishCata
Reviewed 12 November 2013

My husband and I stayed here in mid-October for 3 nights at the end of our 20 day vacation in Italy. We came into Milan by train and we very happy with the hotel's location as it is only about 2 easy blocks from the terminal. The hotel sits on a corner with a beautiful church across the street and was easy to find by looking for the church front.

The middle aged gentleman at the front desk was one of the best hotel staff have encountered in our travels. He was professional, humorous, and seemed to effortlessly juggle many balls at the same time. He quickly checked us in giving us a lovely room overlooking the beautiful church (even though we had booked through Expedia). The room had been recently renovated and we were very pleased with the cleanliness, updated fixtures and lovely, modern, styling.

The hotel is small and there is a small reading area with various newspapers...some free...in the lobby. There is a small bar on the other side of the front desk that is comfortable and available for drinks and snacks. In the evening this little bar puts out appetizers available with your drinks and the last night we had drinks and enjoyed the array of offerings so much we decided against a big dinner later.

The breakfast room was on the fourth floor overlooking the church. The buffet was very good with an assortment of local meats, cheeses, eggs, and bacon on a counter in the corner. The central table buffet offered fruits, yogurts, a variety of pastries, juice, etc. There was a coffee machine in the corner you use on your own and we were very pleased with the quality of the coffee drinks. I really need my caffeine in the morning so I was happy be to able to have all I wanted without bothering (or waiting for) staff. My husband was especially happy to see a bowl of prunes each morning. Enough said....

Overall, a great hotel option for the money. We found the location perfect for sightseeing as the Hop-on Hop-Off bus picks up in front of the Train Station. We took a bus from the train station to the airport quite easily and there is also a train option to the airport but it runs less frequently. Best Western Hotel Madison was the perfect location for us to finish our journey in Italy.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SurpriseEllie
Reviewed 1 November 2013

How this hotel ever got even one star I will never know. My colleague and I arrived at approx 10.00 pm on a Sunday evening only to be told that the receptionist would be with us shortly. Nearly 15 minutes later we are still waiting!
As we check in we ask if there is a restaurant nearby that is open - The man who eventually arrived to check us in was very quick to give us a card for a local restaurant - Guess what - After 15 minutes walk to find same establishment - Closed on a Sunday!!
Next our cells - Yes - I recently joined a public tour of Shrewsbury Prison (now closed) and the cells there are larger. The room was approx 1m wide and 2m long.
Next problem - Air conditioning. When I checked the thermostat it "clicked" off at 27 degrees! and I could not get it to work on cool mode. I went to reception only to be told that the air conditioning had been turned off the week before as the outside temperature had dropped and that it was law in Italy that air conditioning could not be used last week in October (as if!!)
I tried to sleep with the window open, but as you can imagine the traffic in central Milan made the noise unbearable. As I lay there unable to sleep due to the high temperature I decided to try and watch something on the advertised international satellite TV - Only non Italian channel was CNN news that repeats every 10 to 15 minutes - The boredom eventually sent me to sleep at approx 6.00 AM. Also throughout the night every time any guest in any room nearby used the bathroom, they may as well have been in my room the sound traveled so clearly.
Next breakfast - A reasonable selection was on offer - cereal, juices, congealed scrambled eggs, soggy bacon, warm orange and grapefruit juice - Staff stood around looking bored not clearing any used plates.
When I went to reception to say we wanted to check out to move to another hotel, we were told that our payment was non-refundable and we would not get anything back as we had booked through "bookings.com".
Anyone who can give this hotel any rating must have experienced some terrible places beforehand!!!!! - My advise - STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE.

Room Tip: Try a different hotel - There are plenty in the immediate area
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank simon m
Camilla D, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Best Western Hotel Madison, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2013

Dear Mr ,
Thank you for your mail , which was very useful for us to improve our way of working . Let me be NOT completely agree with your judges.
For the problem of the restaurant, I am sorry, but I really think that you and your colleague has NOT FOUND the restaurant we usually suggested because I am sure that restaurant is open all week until 1 am .
After a careful inspection, made personally ,The room assigned to you and your colleague is one of our standard rooms with a perfectly normal floor area for a room situated in a city like Milano, in town center . I am sorry but it is 1m wide and 2m long but the TRUE IS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT,
For the problem you had with the air conditioning: In October, usually in Milan WE DO NOT HAVE 25°DEGREE, so that why the air condition had been switched off by the general control, that’s why the room was too hot for you, I will always suggest to you to ask to change the room, maybe an INSIDE ROOM could be the correct SOLUTION: open window, no traffic, no Tv and PERFECT RELAX
For the Tv, we Will try to improve our international system, and thanks for the suggestion.

Regarding the price, unfortunately if the guest reserve online , we can not change the reservation, because it is not a direct client, and we must follow the low of the market. That why we always suggest to our customers to see all the details of the reservation if they made it on line.

We are very sorry for this negative comment, and that your expectations have not been pleased and I will invite you again as our guest at the Madison Hotel. I will personally guide you to visit all our Hotel so that you will realize the LARGE range of comfortable ROOMS of various sizes ( and prices) that BW Hotel Madison customers can choose independently.
We are at your complete disposal for any further information-Best regards

Reviewed 12 October 2013

A good deal, considering it was fashion week... and the junior suite was really nice for the price. The location is pretty good, a very cheap and short taxi ride into the main parts of town. The hotel offers a daily happy hour, with free antipasto nibbles, as is the tradition. A good way to start your evening before heading out. There is a really good little restaurant called 'terrafirma' behind the large church outside and to the right. A bit of a walk down to the next street and around behind, but worth it.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple