“Recent 4 night stay”

Ranked #109 of 428 Hotels in Milan
derby
“Recent 4 night stay”
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We have just returned from a 4night break ti Milan. I booked this hotel stay via a booking agent back in Dec 12, upon arrival approx 10.30pm the receptionist could,nt find our booking, even though i gave him the printed copy of the booking reference he eventually hes said its fine and gave us our room keys 10.45pm. We asked if we could get some food and were told the bar still served hot food.
After dropping our case and bags in the room we made our way to the bar and were made welcome, and the food was good.
After having started my meal the bar man asked if i could go to reception another receptionist said we had no room booked and could i go and fetch the paperwork from my room.
I collected the paperwork and showed the man, he told me to ask at again in the morning because they had to look into it. By this time my partner had finished her meal and was at the reception also.
In the morning they told me the booking was fine they could,nt find it because it was made back in Dec 12.

Room
Our room was good except that it was twin beds with 1 single pillow on each, my partner and i use 2 each, there was another one in the wardrobe which she used and i rolled up a blanket thinking a new pillar would be put in the room in the morning.
By day 4 i was still using the blanket Very poor customer service in this instance

Bar
Our third night we went into the bar for a drink and was messed about by who i can only discribe as temporary staff as he didnt even know where the wine was kept i the cupboard and then half way through our drink we were told to move as he wanted to close up the bar and in his words wash the carpet ????

Breakfast
we booked bed & breakfast,
each morning was exactly the same food the only hot food was scrambled egg, chunks of sausage and a FEW rashes of bacon ( and i mean only a few )
Every morning unless you went down early there was no semi skimmed milk left only whole milk.

Overall
The hotel in beautiful, just a shame the only staff that were both friendly and hospitable were the first night bar man and the waitress in the dining room on the last 2 days
Its just a shame this hotel is run by rude people who treat the paying customer shockingly.
I would,nt recommend a stay here

Room Tip: Look elswhere
1 Thank boy1966

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cuttack
Reviewed 4 August 2013

ADI DORIA GRAND hotel in Milan

Located in central Milan, within walking distance from the main Railway Station and Metro Station, the Doria Grand is a very good hotel for budget travellers and it is excellently maintained. It is easy to visit the various museums, parks, art galleries and other attractions from this hotel via the Metro in Milan by taking advantage of the daily Metro passes.
The luxurious, clean double bedrooms with neat attached bathrooms and a refrigerator are very comfortable and peaceful. There is free internet for all guests and the room came with a full hot buffet breakfast.
The restaurant is a little pricy for lunches and dinners but there are several inexpensive yet good restaurants (including Chinese & Japanese) within walking distance of the hotel. There is a good sized, well stocked and fairly large grocery store bang opposite the hotel on the other side of the street.
The staff including those manning the front desk are courteous and helpful to tourists and will readily explain the various attractions that Milan has to offer and how best to get there.
Hot water in showers/tubs, air conditioning in the rooms as well as daily cleaning and room service are all excellent.
The hotel offers limousine service to the airport and back which is at quite a distance from the city.
Ask for a double bedroom with complimentary breakfast on one of the upper floors for a comfortable stay.

Room Tip: Select a double bed room with complimentary hot breakfast on one of upper floors
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
ADIHotelsManagement, Direttore generale at ADI Doria Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
Dear Mr.“Panditashok7”,

we would like to thank you for choosing the Doria Grand Hotel for your stay in Milan and for taking the time to write about your experience. We are very grateful that you appreciated and enjoyed every details of our Hospitality.

The mission of ADI Hotels is the passion for Hospitality, therefore we are also pleased to read about your kind comment about the courtesy of our staff, they always try to offer and guarantee the best and quick service possible to all of our Guests. Also for this is a pleasure to read comments like yours written in Tripadvisor.

We hope you will recommend us to your friends and we look forward to welcoming you back to our Grand Hotel.

Castelnau-Magnoac, Midi-Pyrenees, France
Reviewed 2 August 2013

A lovely hotel,clean and reasonably priced with very helpful, friendly staff, great location with easy access to the metro. Just a 4 minute walk.
Would have liked a bit more choice at breakfast. Would go again and would recommend to friends.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
ADIHotelsManagement, Direttore generale at ADI Doria Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
Dear “Anita B”,

I would like to thank you for taking the trouble to write your review about your stay at the Doria Grand Hotel in Milan.
I am especially pleased to read your kind comments about our staff and services you received during your stay and I’m going to pass your complements to our front office staff who will be very happy about it.

Finally, thank you very much for recommended to our friends. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Best Regards,
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel on holiday, location wise it was a little out of the central area but very close to the main train station and metro stop, plus there was a supermarket just over the road, so the location never bothered me. The room we stayed in was very nice, the beds were comfy, the shower was wonderful and we were extremely thankful of the air conditioning.

On a whole I had no problems with the hotel, but one thing that bothered me was the WiFi connection. The hotel advertises the free WiFi as a major selling point and as a travellor away from home this can be important to some people. You needed a username and password to access it, that was fine, but I was told by a less than cheerful man on reception that we could only have 1 username and password per room. I wasn't staying alone in the hotel, so this meant that myself and my friend were not able to go on the internet at the same time and that if they then tried to use the same infomation to log in they were not able too, as the account had already been used. The connection also only seemed to work in certain areas of the room.

Like I said apart from that, I enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kelmt84
ADIHotelsManagement, Direttore generale at ADI Doria Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 10 September 2013
Dear “Kelmt84 “,

I would like to thank you for writing about your recent stay at the Doria Grand Hotel and to thank you for your kind comments about our rooms and our location.

Regarding the login to the wi-fi, unfortunately, due to Italian legislation, every “new” login has to enter a password in order to reduce internet abuse and when once one logs out of the system, one is obliged to login again even if the log out was for a few minutes, but , having said that, as procedure our receptionist staff should give a different access code for every guest, therefore I believe there has been a misunderstanding.

I hope that this problem did not ruin your overall experience at Doria Grand Hotel and please accept our sincere apologies for this trouble.

Best Regards,
Manchester
Reviewed 29 July 2013

I conducted a lot of research when booking my trip to Milan including the best hotel to stay ina nd thought from all previous reviews that I had found it in the Adi Doria Grand.

We booked a deluxe room and were positioned on the 7th floor. If this was a deluxe room I wouldn't like to be in a "standard" room! The room was very basic and actualyl lacking in a few things it had promised for example, a trouser press, a power point for the kettle..... It did have air conditioning though and the quality of the beds were excellent.

The thing that most attracted me to Adi Doria Grand from the reviews were the rave reviews of the breakfast, after reading several reviews I could not wait for this infamous breakfast, "the best breakfast in Milan" some had billed it. Unfortunately I was disappointed, if this was the best breakfast in Milan it had me questioning where these people had been to before!

Wifi was temperamental, had to use 3 codes in one day....

Breakfast consisted of croissants that weren't fresh and were not of great quality, dried meats, limp cheeses, rock hard bread rolls, bacon and eggs, variety of cereals and the weirdest selection of fruit ever. (Kiwis, a peach, and green apples,, a fresh fruit salad with more popular fruits including melon, bananas and strawberries would have been better.

Ont he first morning we had an ant crawling on our table. On the second morning we were not approached by a member of staff as we were the morning before and so had to seek out a member of staff to ask for coffee for the two of us. We were given what can only be described as a milk jug of coffee. When we pointed out this wouldn't be enough for the two of us (we were given a pot each the day before) and that we would like enough coffee for the two of us, we were given a pot of hot water. I then again had to point out we would just like TWO CUPS OF COFFEE, at this point it took two staff to sort out the problem and get us another pot of coffee. On this morning, after being dismally let down by the breakfast the day before and it not being any better then, I settled for two pieces of toast with nutella.

Apart from this, the reception staff were very helpful and the hotel is situated very close to Central station.

Also, beware, Milan charges city tax. The hotel pointed this out to us at check in, this is an additional £12.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
ADIHotelsManagement, Direttore generale at ADI Doria Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 6 September 2013
Dear “Catherine F”,

thank you for choosing the Doria Grand Hotel for your recent journey in Milano.

Referring to your review in object, please first of all accept our sincere apologies for what experienced during your stay. I’m sure you will believe that these kind of events do not reflect our usual way of operating.

Regarding your comment about our breakfast I am sorry that the service was not to your satisfaction. The Doria Grand Hotel’s breakfast offers a wide selection of varied products. There are different corners like Bakery corner with various kinds of brioches and breads, Cafeteria corner with a wide range of juices, the Deli corner with cold meats and cheese, Fruit corner for a selection of fresh fruit, the International corner with corn flakes, eggs, bacon and sausages and, finally, the Diet corner, whit natural slim line bread, brioches, milk and light yoghurts.

I were also sorry to read about the ant on your table, I can confirm you that it is an absolutely isolated incident.

Regarding the constant need to login to the wi-fi, you have our full agreement. Unfortunately, due to Italian legislation, every “new” login has to enter a password in order to reduce internet abuse. Once one logs out of the system, one is obliged to login again even if the log out was for a few minutes. We can assure you that as soon as an alternative is allowed, we will be one of the first hotels to adopt this system.
I really hope your will give us the chance to show you the quality of our service.

Would you please contact our Hotel Manager directly and we all will make sure that your future stay will be as high as your expectations.

Kind Regards,
Burnley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Recently stayed at this hotel for my birthday in Milan. Decided on this one due to competative price and location to the Central Rail Station which is only 10 mins away by foot. Good first impression, clean and inviting. Friendly reception staff on arrival. Room clean and comfortable on 10th floor good views looking out towards mountains. No street noise even though overlooking main one. Note no tea/coffee facilities in room Hotel is close to metro stations, couple of mins by foot good for getting around city. Good choice of eateries around the area. Not far from main shopping street, Corsa Buenos Airies, which can be walked down full length ending up near to Duomo, walk takes around 45 to 60 mins. We walked to the Duomo and most of Milan sights ending up in the Naviglio area (good for food and drink) then got Metro back to hotel.
Breakfast offers good selection of cold and hot food, restaurant staff friendly. Would definately stay at the Doria Grand again if ever visiting Milan in the future.
If arriving by air to Linate or Malpensa, shuttle buses available to Centrale Rail Station at reasonable price and very efficient.

Room Tip: Request and high floor room overlooking main street, good views of mountains and quiet.
Dear “Chris905”

I would first of all like to thank you for taking the time to write about your stay at the Doria Grand Hotel and for your kind words. When we read comments such as yours we feel that all our efforts to improve our guests’ stay were worthwhile.

Thank you once again. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next visit to Milan

Best regards,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2013

The hotel was a little far from the centre for our liking but generally we had a pleasant stay. We were given this hotel by Easy Jet holidays after our first choice hotel had to be cancelled. We walked into town the first few days and then got the metro. We went during a time when a lot of Milan was closed for holidays (cheaper then) but had plenty to do all the same. Beware for beggars and pick pockets! This really upset me on the first day but you've just got to be confident and as persistent back to them even if you feel you're being rude. All in all we had a pleasant stay. There were some restaurants in the local vicinity but we ate in town for a couple of the nights. Milan is very expensive so make sure you're prepared for that too.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple