“Nice hotel”

Ranked #108 of 428 Hotels in Milan
Newcastle upon Tyne
“Nice hotel”
Reviewed 15 August 2009

We spent 4 nights at this hotel, we had a slight problem finding the hotel, as we were given wrong directions by a couple of people from outside of the metro station, they sent us in the wrong direction when we were 2 minutes away from it! If the hotel sign had been lit up at the top of the building, I'm sure we would have seen it. We have stayed in the area a few times, I thought this was going to be closer to the station, I wasn't particularly keen on the area, if I had been travelling with another female, I certainly would have felt a bit uncomfortable. The check in was smooth, the room was nice and cool and recently done. I certainly never heard any noise from the other rooms, and I'm a light sleeper which was great. The only complaint would be that I found the bed a bit hard. Going down for breakfast on the first morning was a bit of a bun fight. I think a lot of people must have had their breakfast at the same time, we got there at 9.20am, (breakfast was untl 10am) and it looked as if nothing was left. We sat for about 10 minutes, and all the food was restocked. The other mornings there was ample food. The only problem we had was with the safe. It is free of charge, and you press your own code into it. I closed the safe one night, and couldn't open it the next morning. I went down to reception, and the guy was very nice, but said that there were no technicians in that day to open the safe! Surely someone else could be given the code! I said I had no money at all, and had planned to go out for the day (as I was on holiday!), so insisted that he contact the technician. He did ring him and was given the code to open the safe. He came to our room and we managed to open the safe. We took all our stuff out, and tried the code again, and it wouldn't open, so there was obviously a problem with the safe. Just as well we weren't on an early flight that morning!

Had a late meal in Fashion near the station, been there quite a few times, the pizzas are better than the pasta.

Went to Lake Como for the day by train, again another mishap, as no-one in the station were able to given us the correct platform, so we had to run up and down the full length of the station (21 platforms) in 30 degree heat to find the correct one. Not helpful at all. We went on the boat to Villa Carletto ( 2 hours), which was really nice, make sure you have a drink in the cafe in the garden overlooking the lake, which was very reasonable and the food looked nice.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Auckland
Reviewed 22 June 2009

We booked this hotel through the net. We wished to stay an extra time in Milan before our Trafalgar tour, which unfortunately was canceled, due to insufficient numbers.
The hotel charged us one night's accommodation on our Credit Card even though we gave several month's notice and the reason for our cancellation.
The fine print does state that they charge for the first night if one cancels, which we feel is unfair if sufficient notice is given to the hotel.
We were unable to recover the cost from our Travel Insurance as the policy states that no refund is given if a tour does not go ahead.
Be warned - do not stay at this hotel. Their policy is unreasonable!

Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MickeyAuckland
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 18 June 2009

This hotel is ok but definitely not 4 star service. My mother and I stayed at the Doria Grand on June 5-6, 2009. We chose it because it was within walking distance to the train station. We were immediately surprised when our cab pulled up to the door and there was no doorman, and we had to struggle to open the door with all of our luggage. The lobby was definitely older, but elegant. The Reception Desk is near the front door, but the young man at the counter didn't seem to see us and didn't acknowledge us until we walked to the front desk and spoke to him. He didn't seem like he wanted to be there. There were no porters in the lobby to carry our bags to our room, so I and my elderly mother had to struggle to get the bags up the elevator to the 6th floor. When we opened the door to our room, we found someone else's suitcases and clothes. So, we walked all the way back downstairs and the young man at reception gave kind of a mechanical apology and gave us a key to another room. The second room was nice, spacious by European standards, clean but a bit worn looking. And as mentioned in one of the more recent posts, I was surpised to find no information at all about the hotel or any tourist information in the room. The buffet breakfast was good with a lot of hot and cold foods and the staff was efficient, but didn't seem very happy either. The Concierge desk was empty during our entire stay. Every time we left or returned to the hotel, we had to pass the Reception Desk but no one ever greeted us or said good bye to us. The overall atmosphere of this hotel was kind of melancholy and slightly depressing. I would say that if you get a good deal and you need to be close to the train station, it may be worth it, but don't expect 4 star service.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
Hong Kong
Reviewed 15 June 2009

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for a night in early June 2009.
We book a double room with buffet breakfast at a rate of about 85 euro and we are quite surprised with the general quality of the hotel. The room is quite luxuriously decorated with very effective air-conditioning plus sound-proof windows (to us they are very important in a hot weather at an urban area). I agree to other viewers’ comments – it is a classy hotel. The room and bathroom are absolutely clean. The size of room is average but the bathroom is big relatively. The water pressure is strong. The minor complaint is the malfunctioning hot water tap of the basin (but it is okay to me in a hot season). The bed is very comfortable and we can sleep extremely well at night.
The hotel is not centrally located but easily accessed by metro and trams and it took only 10 minutes to the Duomo. The location is still convenient to us.
The hotel breakfast is average to that of other 4-star hotels. It is observed that, the waitresses are talking with each other, and they seem not to notice a man who repeatedly calls (in English) for refill of coffee. One of them even coughs intermittently (we are vigilant to this behavior during this season when swine flu is spreading). Nevertheless the reception staff are friendly and polite.
The hotel locates in the residential area and we do not expect a spectacular view. There is a nice supermarket opposite to the hotel. We find that there are some men constantly gathering around the Caiazzo metro station and staring at passing-by people. We feel better to travel by tram and its stop is even closer (to the hotel) than that of the metro.
We are impressed by the quality of the hotel setting at this “low” price and we do enjoy the comfortable stay.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Atlanta
Reviewed 4 June 2009

We got a great rate on venere.com. Our room was beautiful and clean. I was not expecting a lot and this was one of the nicest rooms we have ever stayed in. If you are taking the Malpensa Shuttle in the morning, it is a three block walk (5 minutes if rushing). I intend to return whenever I travel through Milan.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Shrewsbury
Reviewed 3 June 2009

I am surprised with some of the negative comments on here; it appears that some parts of the hotel I didn't see need renovating. However, I can't understand the reviewer who said the lobby and corridors need renovating; they were excellent, as were the bar and restaurant. Definitely a 4*. In fact, I stayed at the Waldorf Astoria last year, and some parts of that weren't as good (admittedly, very few parts though.) Excellent location in regards to Metro, Stazione Centrale and trams/buses. Some nice restaurants nearby and Corsa Buenos Aires close by with its shops etc. As for the hotel itself, we stayed on the first floor and it was immaculate with beautiful wood decor combined with marble and tastefully decorated. Good service from all staff from Reception (1 exception), through breakfast team to bar staff. Very reasonably priced mini-bar (which they conveniently forgot to charge me for on check-out) and all room facilities worked well, including excellent aircon. We stayed in a front room , right on the Viale Andre Doria and heard little or no traffic. Only downside really for us was the lack of local information in the hotel. There were absolutely no leaflets or magazines available and on the two occasions I asked Reception about museums, they were wrong. However, we soon discovered that this is actually endemic throughout the city which doesn't seem to want to sell itself at all. Even the Official Tourist Office had no information in English to give us; they just tried to sell us local bus tours. Beware, Milan closes on Mondays. Seriously. And it's meant to be a big business city.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Greenwich, Connecticut
Reviewed 29 May 2009

This hotel was probably very grand back in the day. It now needs a severe overhaul of both the rooms and the staff. The rooms, hallway, lobby are very old and worn. However this hotel is within walking distance to the central train station which is why we stayed here. We were only in Milan for the night and needed to be near the station. Also the price was good for a big city. Don't expect the staff to be friendly. They all seemed to hate their jobs. They will answer your questions but are not happy to.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple