“Very good service and hospitality”

Antares Hotel Rubens
Ranked #27 of 428 Hotels in Milan
Reviewed 11 March 2013

I spent 3 weeks in Milan in January/February 2013. The hotel was chosen based on Google and Tripadvisor query. During this stay I experienced very hospital service, both at the desk and the restaurant. Hotel manager was very flexible. Great advantage: delicious breakfasts. Very good choice of cheeses, prosciutto, fruits, hot stuff, cereal etc. with very good coffee. The room was quite small but always clean and quiet. The Wifi internet could work smoother. Location was not the city center but the subway transportation was very convenient: 3 minutes by foot to the nearest station. Also reaching San Siro was possible by foot.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 7 March 2013

We had stayed a couple times at another Antares hotel, the Accademia. We were going to see a couple of A C Milan soccer games so we wanted to stay a bit closer to the stadium.

The Rubens is about the closest hotel. Located in a residential area.

Very nice. Nice rooms. Very helpful staff. Excellent breakfast.

Very reasonably priced. Although amazing how much more we had to pay for the night of the game with Barcelona.

Highly recommend.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 January 2013

I read some glowing reviews but my experience was more ordinary than not. Small room at the back, facing blocks of flats. Forced to open the window because of stifling heat, even in mid-winter, and no air con (heat only; cool switched off until April). I was told other guests had complained about the heat and to give staff their due they turned it off to my room. But open window meant noise from the flats at all hours. Nice clean bathroom, clean crisp linen, good breakfast on fifth floor ( super continental selection though the cooked breakfast needs more variety). All in all ok, but I wouldn't stay again. It is rated four-star but that is a big push for mine.

Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank dc8-63
GianmarioBertini, Direttore at Antares Hotel Rubens, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2013

Dear Sir,
I am sorry for the inconvenience of the heating. Indeed we faced a problem on jan. 23rd 2013 that has been promptly solved and some Guests on 5th floor suffered 2 degrees more than the most comfortable situation. I regret that the lenght of your stay did not allow us to show you how much we care for the best possible stay with us.
Thank you for the suggestion for a wider variety of cooked food. We take seriously all Guests' suggestion, but I must inform that our brekafast is not mere continental but hot and cold buffet breakfast.
Best regards

Reviewed 14 January 2013

Very good money/location/ambience/service ratio. We stayed there twice, a family with 2 kids. Perhaps, the breakfast could have been better, but nonetheless the money is sure felt well spent. When we asked for a glass of hot milk at 1 am, the reception guy delivered, and free of charge.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank DeLit
Reviewed 9 January 2013

Excellent location, less than a 10 minute walk to the metro station De Angeli and easy to get around. There were plenty of restaurants to chose from a maximum of 15 minutes walk away.

The staff on front desk offered no friendly hello, goodbye or banter but that's a nice to have and not essential, would be nice if when we were waiting they would see to us first and not wait ignoring us. The bar was unstaffed when we went once, so had to wait for someone to appear, also they do not serve cocktails, again something nice to have based on personal preference. I can see from other reviews there should have been free appetizers with drinks, we were not told about this. Staff in the restaurant where we had breakfast were very lovely and accommodating and breakfast was nice.

They provide free wifi which is a plus, the signal strength is not available everywhere in the room but it works in places.

In the room, the bathroom has a lovely shower and is very modern, which doesn't match up with the old fashioned decor in the room. The room was a big size, note a double bed is 2 singles together in our case, one slightly higher than the other.

Our room was baking baking hot, too hot to sleep due to something not working, in November we slept with the windows open which meant we had to deal with the noise.

This was just about an average stay, however I would not be inclined to stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank travellover2013
Reviewed 2 January 2013

The location of this hotel makes it easy to get around and all the staff extremely friendly. The bedrooms are average size, very clean but if staying in a twin, the single beds are a little small but comfy.
The bathrooms are very good, except the sliding glass door which restricts privacy - your room sharing partner will know what you are doing in there.....
Breakfast was a little disappointing and try to avoid the last minute dash to get in before closing as limited tables.
Really good location for the Metro but limited things to do near the hotel although did find some nice places to eat on the walk down to Wagner station.

Room Tip: You do get noise from the road if on a road facing room.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 November 2012

From a 4 Star hotel, one would expect a decent standard of basis facilities like accommodation and food. Unfortunately, in my view this hotel is no good for a 4 Star and a 2 Star is what it can best be. To name a few, rooms are really squeezed with not much space, small bed with a soft pair of pillows, decor is a contrast between modern and dated, breakfast/food was horrible and for the few days I stayed, I had to go out to eat as the standard of food was very low. As if this was not enough, at check out, I was asked to shell out city tax although my hotel voucher said 'Fully Paid' else the manager said he will report it to the government authorities. Left with no option, I had to pay the taxes on top. I would not recommend this place to anyone who expects a comfortable stay of 4 Star quality.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Cool_0011
GianmarioBertini, Direttore at Antares Hotel Rubens, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2012

Dear Sir, I am very sorry that you found your stay not satisfactory and I am taking good note of your suggestions to improve at highest level our hospitality, which is thankfully otherwise appreciated by the majority of our Guests. I have the sensation though that you are 'punishing' us for what follows about the city tax.
You will remember that I took a copy of your voucher which was not mentioning the tax to be paid upon departure and told you that I agreed with you and that the agency was responsible for the lack of information. You nevertheless decided to pay it. It is not true then, that no alternatives were provided as I stated that the agency would be invoiced of this tax also. You will also remember that I explained to you that in case of prepaid reservations, as your case, you cannot prepay a city tax because it is strictly linked with the overnight and the Agency cannot take the city tax amount in advance because in case of cancellation of the trip this tax is not due.
I remember you seemed to accept my explanation, but I am sorry to realize now that it was for you just a waste of time.
best regards