“Clean and comfortable”

Best Western Hotel Blaise & Francis
Ranked #176 of 431 Hotels in Milan
Reviewed 28 July 2013 via mobile

This has been my home away from home for the last two months. I stayed in for about 4 weeks on and off. The rooms are of good size, clean and beds are quite comfortable. Good wifi connection in the rooms; the only downside is the tv with hundreds of channels to zap through but almost all in Italian! Breakfast is ok, but it tends to get dull when you have the same thing every morning. I see some people have been complaining of the location, well frankly it may not be so central, but the metro station is a 5 minutes walk and the city center is just a couple of stops away

• Stayed: July 2013

Reviewed 24 July 2013

Can recomend this place totaly! Bit of a walk from the Metro (400ms odd) but no great issue even with a couple of bags. V nice room great free wifi and the included bfast was great - based on other comments maby has been upgraded!! Staff went out of way to be helpfull as well.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 June 2013

This hotel was part of a free-and-easy tour package. I would have given it an overall rating of very good if the location was better. The interior ie room, beds, bathroom facilities all good. The breakfast was okay, nothing to rave about. The hotel surrounding can be a bit scary as men hang around quite a bit at the kebab stores, convenient stores nearby, even till about 11pm-ish. It's about 15mins quick walk to the nearest metro and a little further to the trams and bus routes into the city center. So imagine walking back to the hotel with your luxury shopping. Try not to show your shopping.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank CyndiPoh
Reviewed 15 June 2013 via mobile

I stayed here this week for three nights while working around the corner.
It's not in a particularly nice area and is a 10 min walk to the nearest metro but the hotel is clean and comfortable and the staff are very friendly and very helpful and were able to give me good advice about getting around.
Breakfast is vast and there is something for everyone. Aperitivo (as in many places in Milan) are free with drinks during the evening and dinner is good and great value.
From hotel to the Duomo takes 20 mins - 10 min walk to metro and 10 mins on metro
I'd be happy to stay here again. Great service and good value for money and the staff really make it
Thanks

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Tony M
Reviewed 25 May 2013

To let you know right up front - this hotel 'aint in the chic area of Milan (not that there are many of those outside of Duomo square). In fact, I was actually a little on the trepidatious side when we were walking to the hotel late at night. It looked like Detroit. The buildings seemed like something out of a nightmare, and let's say the neighborhood, from the looks of its inhabitants, appeared rough. It was like the star of Bethlehem leading the wise men through the dark when we saw the hotel's sign lit up in the distance.

The only people that I had contact with really were 4 members of staff; Two men, and two women. The men were very nice and accommodating, while the women were just so-so. When we checked in, the woman handling our reservation was very friendly to us - but very rude to another customer who was asking her for a blanket in her room. After the guest walked away, the receptionist began mocking the other guest to us, saying that she had already asked her for a blanket three times, and was venting her frustrations to us. I didn't think that was terribly professional or appropriate - not to mention unkind toward the other woman.

When I called down later to ask for a pen and a wake-up call, the same woman seemed put-out when I requested these two things. Yes, that's right : there was no pen in our room. Actually it was the first time I've stayed at a hotel where I could have used one, and there wasn't one to be found. They had a pathetic excuse for a pencil - it looked like something Rumplestiltskin would use - but no pen.

The room was really nice, and Best Western seems to have a very common theme. Their staff in general (with all the experience I've had with their chain) seems to be somewhere between poor - mediocre, but there rooms are always gorgeous. Their breakfasts are never too shabby either. Nothing like the Hilton, no, but still very good. At the end of the day you do want the whole package though, and that's why I feel it's important to critique every aspect of the hotel.

The room was very spacious, had a view (though not much of one, as we were in the ghetto). The bathroom was really only so-so for Best Western, as I do hold their rooms to a higher standard. The bathtub felt like sand paper, the tile in the bathroom was really old, and in general the whole hotel needs renovation. The beautiful plasma TV had terrible reception, and the the tea kettle wouldn't plug into the outlet that was available. The outlets in general in the room, actually, were not terribly convenient. The ones we used were out of reach under the TV, and to plug my phone in next to me, I had to unplug the lamp - so I had no light.

There was also only mineral water and soda in the mini-bar, so if you're looking for a little nightcap before beddy-bye, you're out of luck.

I know it sounds like I'm focusing solely on the negative here, but the room was actually quite nice and comfortable, and the most important thing was the bed, which was FINALLY a decent Queen sized mattress. Not two twins pushed together, or some weird "French" bed that the Europeans love to use. This was a very American bed, and I enjoyed that very much!

The breakfast the following morning was very good, with as much fresh coffee as you liked, made to order. I had three caffe machiatos (for free)! The man on staff from the night before was also helping serve the breakfast and he was very nice.
There were some of the best eggs I've had in a really long time, there was bacon, ham, salami, tomatoes, LOTS of pastries, fresh bread, tea, coffee, juice (that actually wasn't really juice...watered sugar I think), and cereal. Not the largest breakfast ever, but certainly the right amount. I also think they had breakfast that early (6:15) just for us and another group of people who needed to leave the hotel early. Normally, they said they start serving at 7.

When we went to check out, the woman who handled us now, was a different receptionist than from the night before, and she was quite cold - not friendly. Again, staff is really hit or miss with Best Western. But their rooms are always good.
Having said all this, I would say - this is the worst Best Western I've stayed at in terms of quality and location, but certainly not the worst HOTEL I've ever stayed at before. I would recommend it only if you need to be in that area, as we needed to be. The price was substantial for not being a really high quality place - 81 euros (including tax, breakfast for two people 1 night) .

All things considered, it's really just an average hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Euroerican
Milton_Milano, Direttore at Best Western Hotel Blaise & Francis, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2013

Dear "Euroerican", first of all let me thank you for the very detailed suggestions that you have written in your review of our hotel. I can assure you that our neighbourhood is not that terrible. In fact I live myself (with my family, two young children) very close to the hotel and I can assure you that this is a typical residential area of a big european city, close to the city center, where you can find people of many countries living side by side, and not a ghetto which is typical in north american cities, but very rare in Italy. By the way our hotel has an amazing view on the city center (not just our surroundings). From the upper floors you can see the whole skyline of the city, and in good days also all the alps from the french border (Mont Blanc) in the west to the swiss alps (Monte Rosa) in the north and the italian alps towards east. I can also assure you that I'll take all the necessary steps to explain and train our staff members regarding professional behaviour which is very important for an hotel like ours. Regarding the pencil "accident", we are required by BW to put pencils and little paper blocks in all the rooms, and that's just what we do. Thank you for the compliments for our breakfast, the room size and the bed size. I also have to apologize for the minibar. Last week we have received the new fridges, and from now on we'll offer also that service in all our rooms. Next week we'll also improve the tv reception changing the system from analog to digital, allowing our beautiful new HD televisions to receive the best possible tv signal. This week we have also received the new kettles for the rooms. As you see we are trying to do our best for improving the hotel from average to a good. Maybe next time we'll be able to satisfy all your requests. Thank you once again for the time it took you to write your detiled comments. The Manager

Reviewed 17 May 2013

We thought the hotel would be a little more comfortable. A lot of inconveniences, broken drain on sink, room card deactivated. Fortunately the hotel is quiet, relatively ear the metro. We Might consider returning, only for a reasonable rate.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Milton_Milano, Direttore at Best Western Hotel Blaise & Francis, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2013

Dear BM Witgen, I'm really sorry that we didn't meet you expectations. I have to apologize, that you had to change the room because of the sink. We opted to give you an alternative room right away, because we didn't want to have you waiting for the housekeeper repairing the annoying problem. Regarding the room keycard, it sometimes happens that they stop working when they are kept close to cellular phones or magnetical fields in general. In fact I personally used the same card and as far as I know it worked again regularly. I also would like to inform all our readers that our cook and our pastry chef only use natural and high value products, for all the homemade cakes, bread, cookies and muffins that offer for breakfast. The manager

Reviewed 16 May 2013

The hotel is located some distance from the city centre but a 5 minute walk to Lancetti underground station and 1 stop into Garibaldi Main station.
The spacious room is basic but very adequate with a king size bed. The buffet breakfast is as you would expect for the price of a budget hotel. The staff were very helpful.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear "cdb49" we thank You for the kind words reserved for our hotel. We hope to have us as our guest in the near future and to be able to demonstrate you with our 2 italian cooks that maybe we are more than just a budget hotel, because that's what we aim to ! Thank You again for the time that it took you to send us your comment. The Manager