“Good Hotel, Can't Really Rave About It”

Starhotels Anderson
Ranked #72 of 426 Hotels in Milan
Reviewed 4 June 2011

We stayed 4 nights at the Anderson and one night earlier at the Berna (see review), both similar first class hotels fighting for the competitive market for decent, reasonably priced hotels in the vicinity of the main train station. we used the Anderson to chill out after a trip to Asia and for some regional sightseeing. i can't really find anything negative to say about the hotel, it's clean, modern, well managed, and has an excellent buffet breakfast. we booked an "executive" room, and expected a bit more, since the room is about the same as a good quality Holiday Inn Express or Courtyard hotel in the US, but of course at twice the price as everything in Italy. at least the buffet breakfast and WIFI were included, although you have to stop at the desk for a new WIFI password each day. so in summary, we were happy, although i can't really understand the effusive praise loaded on by some other reviewers, i guess that's what travel is all about. i didn't mind the area, even though you have the usual cast of characters hanging around the train station as you find in any major european city. the Metro is easy to use, grab a 24 hr pass for all forms of transport, and you can be at the Duomo or anywhere else quickly. the neighborhood around the Anderson is OK, we located a nice supermarket a couple of blocks away and many restaurants of all kinds. my only comparison would be with the Berna in terms of similar market hotels. the superior room at the Berna was a bit larger, the furnishings although a bit eclectic were more solid and comfortable, and the bathrooms very similar. in our case i was nice to walk into the room at the Berna and immediately click on-line with as many WIFI devices as you carry, iphone, ipad and laptop all at the same time working great. i think that was the only place in our recent trip we experienced that, everywhere else you are limited to one device unless you pay extra for each one.

sorry to get off track..... the Anderson is a good, solid hotel, reasonable by Milan standards, and similar in quality and price to a number of hotels within a couple of blocks of the main station.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Starhotels Anderson

Reviewed 30 May 2011

I stayed at this hotel for 4 days. 2 days with son and was waiting for messagers to meet up with my husband. When my husband called to leave me a message to confirming that I was in Milan, the hotel told him that I was not registered there. This was our only point of contact in Italy. Finally when my husband checked a few hours earlier than myself, he informed the front desk . when I checked 2 hours later they informed me that I had to used another credit card because they neglected to ask him to sign his card. Very unprofessional. I am in the hospitality business and travel all over and have never experienced such incompetance

Room Tip: don't stay there
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
anderson18_11, Direttore at Starhotels Anderson, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2011

Dear Glogonz,
First of all we would like to thank you for taking the time to say a few words about your recent stay at Starhotels Anderson. Any suggestions or opinions related to our service is highly taken into consideration and, if in any way this service can be improved, be well assured that our will is to achieve this goal.
We understand what you had experienced during your stay was unpleasant and realize the importance of all the messages for our guests. I had immediately spoken with my staff to better understand the situation: you were correctly registered but for a problem in our system we didn't find your name when your husband called. Regarding the payment, we had a pre authotization on your husband's credit card, but we couldn't know the owner of he card, this is the reason why we didn't asked to him to pay and sign when he left the hotel (we are very sorry for the misunderstanding!!!).
My staff and i would like express our apologies for the inconveniences caused. We aspire to certain essential priorities, amomg many, such as courteous staff aimed at customer satisfaction and impeccable service. We regret if these aspects were not achieved and we will definitely work on what you've kindly pointed out in your comment to improve ourselves and our service.
Once again we apologize for the troubles cause and hope ro have pleasure of welcoming you again in Starhotels Anderson.

Reviewed 20 May 2011

I had been in Como on business (I know, poor me) and then a weekend in Florence where the room was run down. This was absolutely the opposite. The room was really nice - comfortable bed, nice linens and towels, a great bathroom - (stone, GREAT shower and bath). The location was extremely convenient to the train station - less than a block away - breakfast was good (included in the price). My only complaint - I was there on a Sunday night and most of the area restaurants were closed for dinner. I was only there for one night and arrived around 7:00 PM, so I wasn't up for sight seeing. I probably should have eaten at the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
anderson18_11, Direttore at Starhotels Anderson, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2011

Dear MichaelB633,
It's a big pleasure to read your kind comment regarding Starhotels Anderson and his staff. We are very happy to know that your stay has been so nice (better than your overnight in Como and Florence). Your thoughts will be conveyed to all my staff in a way of awarding such great service and dedication toward our guests.
We thank you for your time and hope to welcome you again in Starhotels.

Reviewed 19 May 2011

We arrived before noon after a long flight from Sydney and there was no hassle checking in early. The staff were helpful and pleasant. Our room was clean, spacious and well appointed. Breakfast had a good selection of cereals, fruit, breads, pastries as well as some cooked options. The hotel is a very short walk to the main railway station and metro. We ate at the hotel restaurant one night and the food was delicious and well priced.

Dear Marsbar 66,
We are very glad to read your kind words about your recent stay at Starhotels Anderson.
We appreciate any suggestions, comments and experiences our guest desire to share as a way to better Starhotels' service and hospitality.
Hoping to welcome you again in Starhotels,

Reviewed 17 May 2011

Stayed here two nights while visiting Milan. The staff were okay, not overly friendly but we didn't ask for much. We did eat at the restaurant the first night which we both really enjoyed. The place is right by the train station which was helpful, as well as the bus stop to get to Milan Malpensa. There are also lots of Taxis at the train station, though we didn't use them, instead used the Milan subway, which was close as well, and very easy to figure out (very quick way to get to the Duomo and shopping district!) Overall, a great stay and ended up being a great location when using public transportation.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
anderson18_11, Direttore at Starhotels Anderson, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2011

Dear Guest,
A very big GRAZIE for taking the time to say kind words about your stay at Starhotels Anderson.
We take in high consideration opinions related to our service and we are happy to have contributed to making your stay in Milano a pleasant one.
We sincerely thank you and hope to welcome you ince again in Starhotels.

Reviewed 14 May 2011

I stayed in this hotel for two nights and need to say that all reviews on tripadvisor were accuratel, since I was making my choice based on those. I could not believe that the location so close to Central Station would have such a nice, boutiqe type hotel very well run.

Beds are comfortable, everything is super-clean, smells very fresh and it is realy a mood elevator. My room also was equipped with everything for people with disabilities.
The only thing I would avoid in this hotel is breakfast, not really worth it eating there since you can have nice cuppucho just outside of the hotel.

I would recommend this hotel and location for all tourists wondering in Milan.
I appreciate this business in Milan. Thank you

1  Thank Dmitryvulkan

Dear Dmitryvulkan,
first of all I would like to thank you for your nice comment on TA.
I am reallly happy to read your opinion about the quality of our beds and that our efforts regarding cleanliness have been noted during yuour stay.

We thank you for recommending Starhotels Anderson and we hope to have the possibility of welcoming you again.

Reviewed 9 May 2011

Stayed for a week in Milan to see the sights and chose the hotel for its TA reviews and position across the square from Centrale station and its Metro connection. Like (all) the hotels in Milan the restaurant food prices were on the high side - eg £10 for a simple starter - but that apart, the hotel was professionally run and did its job well.

The Metro connection was really convenient and the system was cheap and worked smoothly (although trains were very, very full at peak commuter times - picture Japan with train stuffers.....).

Took a couple of train trips to Bergamo and Varenna on Lake Como (for Bellagio) and were impressed by the cheapness of the tickets and the comfortable and punctual trains - really recommended.

Room Tip: With 9 floors the top would give you a good view
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
anderson18_11, Direttore at Starhotels Anderson, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2011

Dear NickManchester,
first of all I would like to thank you to have posted your kind comment on TA about your stay at Starhotels Anderson Milano.
We are really happy to see that we confirmed during your stay what you saw reading the TA's rewievs.
I will extend your compliments to all my staff.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back at our property!