“Rude service, questionable business practices, not worth the money”
Review of Hotel Cavour

Hotel Cavour
Ranked #79 of 427 Hotels in Milan
Bayonne, New Jersey
“Rude service, questionable business practices, not worth the money”
Reviewed 13 October 2010

We DO NOT RECOMMEND this hotel! Although it is a very nice property in a good location, it is quite expensive for its many drawbacks and its irresponsible and “questionable” business practices. I have been visiting Milan every year for the last 18 years and I was very disappointed with my experience at this hotel.
We stayed there in mid Sept. for 1 week and the room always felt like a humid OVEN. It was always considerably cooler in the hallway and outside on the street than it was in the room. The air conditioning was completely inadequate. No matter how many times we asked for it to be fixed, the problem was never rectified and it was impossible to open up any of the windows due to the mosquitoes and the fact that the windows opened-up to a traffic-heavy street.
The room was nice and was always clean but the quality of housekeeping was inconsistent.
They have 1 computer down in the lobby that you could wait for and use for free with free internet service.
Breakfast was plentiful with a large variety of foods to choose from.
Unfortunately, most of the hotel staff was quite rude & rather standoffish except for Cristina who was polite and genuinely helpful.
Furthermore we found the hotel to be irresponsible and “questionable” in its business practices.
For example, we were handed a bill for Euro 81 for keeping our car in the open lot behind their property for 2 nights. Outrageously expensive! We were not correctly informed of the price from the staff and were shocked at the final cost.
And finally, we were outraged when the hotel told us we could NOT be refunded for the 1 extra night’s stay that they incorrectly booked and charged us for! The hotel told us that they had already charged our credit card for the extra night and there was nothing they could do about it despite the fact that we were flying back to the US and could not possibly use the room. Could you imagine?
Now we will have to deal with this matter through our credit card company. There are just too many nice properties in Milan that you could patronize to have to deal with this hotel’s short-comings.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
contebenso, Direttore at Hotel Cavour, responded to this review, 27 October 2010
I am really sorry about this complain about I had no notice and this is really strange.
About Pc internet connected in our lobby, It just arrived a new one. We are waiting for the desk to install it. It will arrive in few days.
About the refund for early departure, this can happen only with 10% discounted and not refoundable rates. This kind of rate is sold on line, the guest prepare and send the booking by himself, we only receive it and the amount by credit card company so there is no possibility of mistake about it. The fact that the rate is not refundable is clearly explained to the guest ant this is wht is requested for the 10% discount.
Parking rate is absolutely the same of garages of the area. We always tell the rate. I shall recommend the staff to never forget to tell it.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Berne
Reviewed 10 October 2010

This was the 4th time I have been to Hotel Cavour in about 8 years and I must say I was not disappointed. The rooms are spacious enough, super clean and the service impeccable. I would definitely recommend this hotel for a shopping trip.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 19 September 2010

We had a great stay at this hotel. The suite was comfortable, the breakfast was very good, the staff were gracious and helpful. The location was excellent for walking to most of the popular sights.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
Canada
Reviewed 15 September 2010

We stayed in a suite for seven days. If there is anything which could have been improved upon I can't think of it.

• Stayed September 2010
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 12 September 2010

I recomend the hotel because of:
1) excelent location
6) good staff

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Singapore
Reviewed 30 August 2010

The Hotel Cavour is located very close to the city center of Milan. All public transport is available within only a few minutes walking time. The city center can be reached by foot easily. Although the hotel is located in a busy street, the rooms are very calm as long as you do not open the windows. The hotel itself offers all standard services according to it's classification. Nevertheless I have seen nicer places in Milan before. The rooms could need a refurbishment. The breakfast buffet is excellent and the staff is very friendly.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo
Washington DC
Reviewed 19 July 2010

Our introduction to Hotel Cavour was not a pleasant one. Our hotel bookings were done through a travel agent, and prior to the trip, I tried to reconfirm directly with the hotel. It took three e-mail attempts, all to no avail. I gave our last names, arrival date, even a reservation number from our booking agent. In all tries, there was always no reservation. On my first reconfirmation attempt, they even made the mistake of creating a reservation thinking I was trying to make one, but there was always a deadline to reply back with a credit card so I let it lapse without a second thought.

We arrived around 10 in the morning to check-in and was unfortunate enough to be serviced by a front desk agent named Dorico. Having worked in hotels myself, I give hotel personnel as much leeway as possible when the circumstances call for it, but the treatment we got from this front desk agent bordered on rude to at times hostile.

He told us there were TWO rooms under my companion's name, not so much in a calm, pleasant tone, but more accusatory. I didn't bother to tell him that their reservations people need to get their act together.

There was no smile, no 'Welcome to Hotel Cavour', the entire process felt as though we owed them a favor by asking to be checked-in. That is not a good feeling when you're supposed to be on holiday and meant to feel at home. Dorico went through the motions of checking us in only to tell us after he was done that the room was not ready and to come back at 12. No apologies. My traveling companion at some point had to actually ask Dorico, 'Can you please be a little nicer?'. And his response - 'Sorry it's been quite busy'.

Enough said.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
contebenso, Direttore generale at Hotel Cavour, responded to this review, 22 July 2010
Dear Sir,
thank you for your comment. It is really helpful for us. Last year we spent about 10.000,00 Euros in training and educational to improve nice contact with our guests. It had good results but as I can see from your comment this did not happen with Dorico. We shall restart from the beginning with him.

I shall be really grateful if you shall send to my e-mail address (manager@hotelcavour.it) your last name and arrival date so I shall can investigate about three confirmation e-mails with not correct answer. This can help us to make such things never happen again.

Of course I apologize for the matter and I hope you have, anyway, the opportunity to have a pleasant stay in Milan.

Yours sincerely