“great location + great service”

Ranked #104 of 428 Hotels in Milan
Reviewed 28 October 2011

Great location for business + leisure; as it is in the heart of the city but as well reachable to the rho pero & fieramilano via the metro station that is in front of the hotel. Surrounded by the nice restaurant such as sabatini + mediterena which the reception gladly helps for reservation etc..

Stayed in the renovated rooms which was redecorated with an elegant taste. the open buffet breakfast got all what you would look for as well.

free coffee for the day is the definate plus of the bestwestern chains..

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
HotelCityMilano, Direttore at Best Western Hotel City, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2011

Dear Guest,

first of all thank you for taking time to review you recent stay at our Hotel!
Your opinion is very important for us and we value your feedback. By telling us what you liked about your stay and how we can improve, you are helping us deliver a superior experience for you and other guests in the future.

Reviewed 20 October 2011

Let's start with the positives. It's not a bad hotel, good size room, free wifi, fantastic location right next to Lima metro station so you can be in the centre within 5 minutes. As per the title, I would give it 3 out of 5 if I was judging on the building alone.

However everything was ruined, not just once but pretty much continuously, by the most incompetent set of staff I have seen since Fawlty Towers was on the telly.

On arrival, I was told I had already checked in. No I haven't, that's why I'm holding a suitcase. Finally convinced them that I wasn't just standing at reception for the good of my health, was given my key card and off I went to the room. I opened the door to find someone already in there, much to the surprise of both of us. Back to reception, to be told that there shouldn't have been anyone in there. Well there was, unless I was hallucinating. So again, once I got them to believe me, I was given a new room, and off I went again.

No immediate problems this time, room seemed OK and I could have a bit of a laugh at what just happened. Then I went for a shower. No hot water. None in the sink either. Back to reception. Oh yes, sorry sir, some of the rooms don't have any hot water tonight. So they didn't think to check or warn me first. Offered me a single room, which I didn't want, but gave me the impression the fault would be fixed by the morning.

Come the morning, it wasn't fixed. So I asked to change rooms. But they wouldn't let me now. They let me use the room for a shower, but nothing else. Didn't understand the logic of this, but by now I was beyond trying to work out how this place actually functioned.

They had fixed the water by the time I got back that evening, and started warming to the place and thinking that I would only dock them 1 point. Until I tried to check out. Then I was told that I was due to stay another night. Oh no I'm not. Yes you are, and I was shown my booking confirmation to demonstrate to me how wrong I was. Which was fine, except it was for someone with the same surname as me, but a different first name and from a different country. No, that's you. What, so you identify guests by surname alone and make up first names and addresses? After much passport brandishing, they finally agreed that I was who I claimed to be, and asked if this other partial namesake from another country was my brother!

What can I say? A complete madhouse. Never again.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank hs_prd
HotelCityMilano, Direttore at Best Western Hotel City, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2011

Dear Mr. Simpson,

first of all thank you for taking time to review you recent stay at our Hotel.
We really beg you pardon about all the discomforts you've experienced during your stay, especially about the hot water matter. We had serious problems with our general heating system and our technicians were working 24hrs round the clock to solve the problem asap.
Please, contact us directly when you'll need to come again to Milano, we will be pleased to offer you a complimentary night to have the possibility to meet each other to give you personally our apologies and to show you the quality of our service.
Your opinion is very important for us and we value your feedback and we hope you will come back and see us again soon.

Reviewed 10 October 2011

Massimo, who works at the hotel reception desk, was very helpful and friendly when we arrived. He went above and beyond to help us - an excellent employee. He answered our questions on possibilities for dinner, happy hour, arranged our hop on and hop off bus tickets, showed us where the bus stop was, explained about the metro, and set us up for the internet. He was very patient, friendly, spoke English to us, had a nice smile, and helped other guests as they arrived and answered phones,too. We were impressed.

The hotel manager, who we met on the steps to the lift, smiled and welcomed us. We arrived at the hotel before standard check in time and our room was ready.

The breakfasts were exceptional - a great variety of good foods, coffees and very friendly staff. Best breakfasts during our 3 weeks in Italy and France (we stayed here 2 nights). Nice clean breakfast room and we never had to wait for an available table.

Nice central location - close to shops, cafes, metro, train station, and hop on hop off bus.

Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
HotelCityMilano, Direttore at Best Western Hotel City, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2011

Dear Mrs. Carol,

Reviewed 19 September 2011

Location is very good since you can walk from main railway station (very easy to find) and also very near to attractions in Milano like Duomo and Emanuelle Vittorio str, it is also near to metro station Lima. Other advantage of good location is there are many restaurants ,cafes and shops around the hotel.

Hotel was very clean rooms are comfortable,bathroom is very big compare to other hotels and have very clean towels
dining room also quite nice with white and light decoration (it is re-decorated)

Most important thing is wifi is free and accessible in every room (not only in lobby)
Staff is also very kind and helpful
I can recommend everyone if you want to stay in a good hotel with a good price.
If I go Milano again I’ll definetely prefer this hotel again.

I want to send my special thanks to Manager of hotel Omar Sozuer and Lorenzo at reception desk for their kindness and help. Mr Suzer was very friendly and helped us a lot.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
HotelCityMilano, Direttore at Best Western Hotel City, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2011

Reviewed 28 August 2011

We stayed in the City hotel for 2 nights in the middle of the week. Were given one of the renovated rooms on the last floor - a good room after a nice, neat renovation. It even had a balcony where we could go out to have a drink overlooking the Corso Buenos Aires.

The receptionist, Eliana, was very kind and helpful. Firstly she suggested us to park in the parking garage several blocks away (24 euro/day), but then she also mentioned that we could park right in front of the hotel - and so we did. Had to pay at the meter during the day,. but still it was much cheaper than paying 48 euro for 2 days of parking.

The elevator in the hotel is rather tiny - we could barely fit inside it with our luggage. Also, in order to use the elevator you have to go up 6 or 7 stairs.
Breakfast was served in a new and modern breakfast room, with a good selection of pastries, meat and cheese, as well as eggs and sausages. They also have a coffee machine that can make anything you like.
The wireless internet was functioning good and was free of charge.
Staying in this hotel allowed us not to use our car during the stay in Milan, as the Lima subway station was right nearby, and it was only a 5 minutes ride to the city center.
There are also lots of shops on Corso Buenos Aires, including a very big supermarket.

A very good hotel, great value for money, and we shall be back.

Room Tip: The rooms on the top floor are the best, as they are new and have balconies
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Vladi D
HotelCityMilano, Direttore at Best Western Hotel City, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2011

Reviewed 17 August 2011

I agree with all previous reviewers on the excellent location of the hotel, its proximity to a subway station, the absurdity of having to climb several steps from the lobby to the elevator, and a good restaurant on the nearest cross street opposite the hotel. I found the staff helpful. On the other hand, breakfast information needs a major update. While all previous reviewers were unanimous on their negative comments about breakfast, I found it very good. The only explanation for this contradiction is that with all the remodeling going on in the hotel, breakfast was also remodeled. It was served on a spacious, airy and neatly furnished room on floor 1 (one above ground). It was a standard European continental breakfast (plus eggs and sausages) but everything was fresh and neatly presented with attentive staff keeping everything in order. In addition to the usual packaged jams they offered a couple of bowls with local jams that I found delicious. Coffee was served by a new automatic machine that offered all imaginable choices.

Rooms are undergoing a major renovation with two floors completely remodeled. The rooms tend to be small, but they are nicely furnished. We preferred to stay in one of the old rooms because the old furniture with less glass offered more storage space. However, most of the old non smoking rooms reek of smoke. The staff let us choose one that did not have bad smell, but even in that room smoke smell was noticeable in some places. The staff explanation was that many customers were carless and smoked in non smoking rooms. Mi advice to those who are sensitive to smoke is to stay in the remodeled floors.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 August 2011

A short walk from the train station, hard when pulling luggage as the foot paths are quite narrow. Great street lots of shops, restaurants cafe's. We stayed on the 7th floor which had just been renovated. Lovely bathroom, small shower stall. Hot water can be hard to get first thing in the morning but great at any other time of the day.
The staff where fantastic helpful and friendly. Had no problems with the wifi it was a strong signal. The windows had great blinds that gave total blackout and we had no noise problems at all. Comfy Bed. Breakfast was a good selection. Not alot of hot foods, but plenty of other options.
Great hotel and would love to return one day.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple