“I like it!”

Ranked #88 of 431 Hotels in Milan
Athens
“I like it!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2011

First of all it was just a few sterps from the metro station and Lima shopping area. The rooms awere perfect decorated, really renovated, with all the facilities that you want. The breakfast was perfect, too. The reception (especially Iliana) was helpful...I recommend it!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
HotelCityMilano, Direttore at BEST WESTERN Hotel City, responded to this review, 19 December 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to review your recent stay at our property.

If I can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me at +39 02 29523382.

Best Regards,

Omar Sozuer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cape Town
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2011

The Best Western City in Milano was not as central as I had hoped for exploring the city. This meant walking was somewhat less convenient than would have been ideal. The room seemed smoky, which was most disconcerting and unappealing. The staff were variable. The lady who dealt with us in the morning was delightful and friendly, while the gentleman who took over in the evening was decidedly surly (for instance he made it quite clear that he did not want us to settle our account and that we should wait for the morning, even though we were due to leave the hotel very early the next morning). The coffee machine produced the worst ‘coffee’ I’ve ever drunk - about a teaspoon of - and the breakfast we were served was completely insubstantial. Picture a couple of biscuits and a cup of 'coffee'. On the positive side, by European standards, the room was large and the shower pressure good. The surly desk manager suggested a wonderful traditional restaurant nearby which – together with the Duomo – was the highlight of our Milanese experience. I am sure that there have to be better hotels in central Milan for the same price.

Room Tip: Don't by shy insisting that a non-smoking room is ACTUALLY a non-smoking room.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Craig W
Dear Mr. Craig,

Thank you for taking time to review your recent stay at our property.

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at +39 02 29523382.

Best Regards,

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2011

we chose this hotel becuase it was close to the station and to the centre of the city - we did not need to use the trains/tube at all during our visit and walked everywhere which was great.

Few restaurants around, but as the rest of Milan is all geared towards tourists. Really miserable man on reception most of the time.

breakfast options were good and the room was pretty comfy - except that for the radio that switched itself on at random times but we did get that fixed!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for takiong time to review your recent stay at our property.

New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2011

My family took a vacation trip to Northern Italy and we started in Milan and booked this hotel since it was close to the train station since we were taking quite a bit of trains from Cinque Terre, Lake Como..etc.

It's not that hard to go to once you have figure out the direction as we took the train from airport to the central train station and it's literally a straight line down the road and make a right down the block, it's about a 15-20 minutes walk. However, we bought the wrong tickets at the airport for the bus (instead of the train) to go the SAME train station and we end up paying twice since they were checking tickets on the train and the operator told us we have to pay again. He told us to get a refund at the train station but there is NO REFUND in public transportation in Italy so if you are reading this, please make sure you asked twice in Italy before purchasing anything.

The area may not be the best area to stay in since it's near the train station but going to places is actually very manageable since the local metro train is down the street to go into central Milan. The hotel looks sort of run down and old on the outside but it's quite nice and clean on the inside. We booked four rooms for four families. I was going to share a junior suite with my mother-in-law but it was mistakenly sold out and the staff asked if we could split into two rooms without the extra cost and it was fine by us, actually, it was better for us since she was literally down the hall and we still have our privacy.

The room is actually decent size for us with a true king size bed (not two beds pushed together) and plenty of room to roam about with a balcony but my sister and her husband who was supposed to have the same room is half our size without balcony and so is their bathroom which is literally the size of the closet which is why I took one star away from the top. My mother-in-law single bed room actually has a bigger bathroom and shower than my sister's...very weird distribution of room area. My sister check in a day early since she was arriving from a different country and the hotel was fully booked, we didn't complain since it's probably not going to make a difference. Noise control is pretty good too since I have a 2 year old with me and I have been a light sleeper since she was born and usually wake up with the tiniest bit of noise and I was able to sleep through the nights after my 2 year old was done with her jeg-lag from NYC. The rooms are pretty clean and have recycle bins which were really good for us since we tourists probably have the most to recycyle with all the plastics water bottles that we carried around with us and such a great idea to be eco-friendly in this hotel.

Since the hotel included breakfast, we took advantage of it in the morning since it's really not a lot of places to eat in the area and it was more than adequate with hot eggs and sauages in which you don't really find in Europe. Staff in the breakfast area is stern looking and seemed a little grumpy...

Receptionists at the front desk were on the friendly side but since my other sister (there are four sisters with families in this trip) were doing more on the interacting with receptionists so I just did the observing. Since my sister didn't complain at all, they have got to be good as my sister is very detail about everything and we traveled with excel spreadsheet on every day activity to the minutes...

Room Tip: Just check with receptionist before checking in to make sure you have a bigger room preferably with...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
HotelCityMilano, Direttore at BEST WESTERN Hotel City, responded to this review, 21 November 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for for taking the time to review your recent stay at our property.

Your opinion is very important to us and we value your feedback. By telling us what you liked about your stay and how we can improve, you are helping us deliver a superior experience for you and other guests in the future. We hope you will come back and see us again soon.

If I can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact us directly.

Istanbul, Turkey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2011

Very nice, attantive staff and management. Great location. The junior suite was much more than our expectation for 3 star hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
HotelCityMilano, Direttore at BEST WESTERN Hotel City, responded to this review, 31 October 2011
Dear Guest,,

first of all thank you for taking time to review you recent stay at our Hotel!
Your opinion is very important for us and we value your feedback. By telling us what you liked about your stay and how we can improve, you are helping us deliver a superior experience for you and other guests in the future.
We hope you will come back and see us again soon.

Istanbul, Turkey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2011

Great location for business + leisure; as it is in the heart of the city but as well reachable to the rho pero & fieramilano via the metro station that is in front of the hotel. Surrounded by the nice restaurant such as sabatini + mediterena which the reception gladly helps for reservation etc..

Stayed in the renovated rooms which was redecorated with an elegant taste. the open buffet breakfast got all what you would look for as well.

free coffee for the day is the definate plus of the bestwestern chains..

Dear Guest,

first of all thank you for taking time to review you recent stay at our Hotel!
We hope you will come back and see us again soon.

Bristol
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2011

Let's start with the positives. It's not a bad hotel, good size room, free wifi, fantastic location right next to Lima metro station so you can be in the centre within 5 minutes. As per the title, I would give it 3 out of 5 if I was judging on the building alone.

However everything was ruined, not just once but pretty much continuously, by the most incompetent set of staff I have seen since Fawlty Towers was on the telly.

On arrival, I was told I had already checked in. No I haven't, that's why I'm holding a suitcase. Finally convinced them that I wasn't just standing at reception for the good of my health, was given my key card and off I went to the room. I opened the door to find someone already in there, much to the surprise of both of us. Back to reception, to be told that there shouldn't have been anyone in there. Well there was, unless I was hallucinating. So again, once I got them to believe me, I was given a new room, and off I went again.

No immediate problems this time, room seemed OK and I could have a bit of a laugh at what just happened. Then I went for a shower. No hot water. None in the sink either. Back to reception. Oh yes, sorry sir, some of the rooms don't have any hot water tonight. So they didn't think to check or warn me first. Offered me a single room, which I didn't want, but gave me the impression the fault would be fixed by the morning.

Come the morning, it wasn't fixed. So I asked to change rooms. But they wouldn't let me now. They let me use the room for a shower, but nothing else. Didn't understand the logic of this, but by now I was beyond trying to work out how this place actually functioned.

They had fixed the water by the time I got back that evening, and started warming to the place and thinking that I would only dock them 1 point. Until I tried to check out. Then I was told that I was due to stay another night. Oh no I'm not. Yes you are, and I was shown my booking confirmation to demonstrate to me how wrong I was. Which was fine, except it was for someone with the same surname as me, but a different first name and from a different country. No, that's you. What, so you identify guests by surname alone and make up first names and addresses? After much passport brandishing, they finally agreed that I was who I claimed to be, and asked if this other partial namesake from another country was my brother!

What can I say? A complete madhouse. Never again.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel
4 Thank hs_prd
HotelCityMilano, Direttore at BEST WESTERN Hotel City, responded to this review, 24 October 2011
Dear Mr. Simpson,

first of all thank you for taking time to review you recent stay at our Hotel.
We really beg you pardon about all the discomforts you've experienced during your stay, especially about the hot water matter. We had serious problems with our general heating system and our technicians were working 24hrs round the clock to solve the problem asap.
Please, contact us directly when you'll need to come again to Milano, we will be pleased to offer you a complimentary night to have the possibility to meet each other to give you personally our apologies and to show you the quality of our service.
Your opinion is very important for us and we value your feedback and we hope you will come back and see us again soon.