“Good oversight and excellent guide, but very rushed”

Zani Viaggi Day Tours
Ranked #3 of 278 Shopping in Milan
More attraction details
Owner description: Zani Viaggi offers tours and excursions mainly addressed to tourist staying in Milan, to accompany them to the discovery of this vibrant reserved city and of many other treasures of Lombardy and of northern Italy. Shopping tours, walking tours of Milan, daily excursions to Como, Venice, Cinque Terre and so on.
Reviewed 13 December 2013

As our trip to Milan was a rather brief three days we wanted a tour which would provide us with the highlights of what Milan had to offer. This trip is three and a half hours in length, with a combination of coach and walking, at a price of 65€ a head. Not cheap, but it guarantees you entry to see The Last Supper by Leonard da Vinci which is consistently sold out.

You are provided with a receiver pack to hang around your neck and headphone (yep, one not two) for this excursion which means the guide can whisper to the group at some of the sites and you can still hear. Our guide was excellent and highly knowledgable, despite having a nasty cold.

You start off at the Teatro alla Scala (the museum of the famous Scala Opera), and get to enter a box before the history of the Opera is explained and some of the highlights of the collection are pointed out. You then move to the Duomo, which you can explore yourself, and the Castello Sforzesco, but the busy schedule means you don't get to visit any of the five museums contained inside the castle. Lastly you move onto the highlight of the tour for me, which was the visit to The Last Supper. The group size is limited to 30, per 15 minute slot, due to the fragility of the painting. Again, our guide provided an excellent commentary of the history of the masterpiece.

All in all this is best used as an overview trip due to the limited time given to each site. You can then work out what to go back and see in more detail, but an informative tour with friendly staff.

Tickets can be brought directly from Zani Viaggi, or online at www.zaniviaggi.it/livemilano. They also provide other excursions, for example to Lake Como.

1  Thank FredaAtTheHelm
Write a ReviewReviews (1,037)
All reviews
in 20 reviews
"local guide"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed 1 December 2013

I booked an express half day city tour just to see the Last Supper. You must book in advance to get a timed ticket which allows you 15 minutes. We entered an air lock with about 12 others to see it. Our tour guide did a wonderful job explaining both the social and artistic significance of the work. After learning more about the work I felt honored that I had the privledge to see it in person.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

We took the bus trip to Foxtown in Switzerland for a shopping day trip from Milano. The journey there, and the shopping experience was fine, with no problems. The problems began on the way back. We travelled back to Milano in a different bus with a different driver, as they told us it would be quicker, as this bus would not be stopping at the Swiss/Italian border for tax refunds.

I was sitting directly behind the driver for the whole journey back, which was quite frankly a terrifying journey. Firstly he was speeding and overtaking traffic for almost the whole journey back. Next his cellphone rang, and he proceeded to talk on his cellphone whilst driving. After 5 minutes or so he plugged in his hands-free set, in the process almost swerving off the highway. After his 20 minute phone call, he then started reading and sending text messages on his phone - all still whilst driving at over 100km/h with a bus full of tourists! Not once did he slow down. I thought this type of behaviour is illegal in Europe.

I'd like to ask Zani Viaggi if this is the type of driver who should be driving a coachload of tourists? The guy should have his licence taken away from him. Truly shocking, and I will never use this company again as drivers like this put people's lives in danger.

5  Thank Irishpants
Reviewed 11 November 2013

We booked a half day city tour with Viator that was controlled out of the offices of Zani Viaggi. At the time, I thought the price was very expensive, but consoled myself with the thought that it would be worth the cost: if we got a good city tour. With some small concerns we did get that.

The guide, speaking English, was a charming gentlemen, well versed in his city and well prepared for his lecture. He made the attractions come to life for us: in particular the Last Supper Fresco.

La Scala I felt was rushed when we got upstairs. (In the lobby the guide had mentioned that using the Toilets might be a good idea at this stage of the tour - and as I am diabetic the suggestion was enough to make me "Want To Go".

What a surprise: an ancient "Squatter", no bowl, and carved foot areas. However I managed to figure it all out, even the large flush mechanism up the wall.

I wonder how the lady who rushed into "The Gents" as I emerged managed it all?)

My “Crib” would be that the tour organisers did not include a trip to the museum in Sforzesco Castle, or have the guide accompany us into the Cathedral in Duoma Square. In the latter we were give a very short time to visit the inside and we did so with no idea what we were seeing or what we should be trying to view.

We had toured these attractions, a few days before and did not enter each, as we assumed out half day city tour would include the attractions: and unfortunately that did not come to pass.

1  Thank Lazarian
See more reviews
Reviewed 9 November 2013

Zani Viaggi Day Tour company offers a number of excellent local day tours and overnight tours. I took three tours with Zani during my recent stay in Milan. Seeing the Last Supper and the local area is a must. Please order your tickets in advanced as there is quite a demand for this tour. As I am a world traveler, I have met many tour guides. We were truly fortunate to have had the most professional and enthusiastic guide Ms. Sara Cologni lead our tour to Bergamo. First of all, she was truly excited about sharing with us so many new and interesting things about this wonderful medieval town. We saw so much and learned so much of the rich history of Bergamo. We visited the Chapel of Bergamo, the Bascilia of Sana Maria Maggiore (1137)
Mausoleum of Bartollemeo Colleoni, Piazza Vecchia,Catherderal of St Alessando and a few additional churches. Her knowledge of the town and its history was incredible. We had so much
fun wandering around the historic town and had many opportunities to take photos. Without a doubt, Ms. Cologni was the BEST guide I have had in over 30 years of traveling. Visiting Bergamo is a MUST with Ms. Cologni and Zani Tours. Bergamo is well worth spending at least
4 days the next time you are in Milan as it is only one hour away.