“Good Base for Quick Milan Visit”
Review of Hotel Garda

Hotel Garda
Ranked #197 of 431 Hotels in Milan
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Hotel Garda, which is situated a short walk from Milan's main train station, lies beyond the city's main attractions, but is convenient to all major sites. The Piazza del Duomo is just a quick metro ride away as is the metro stop nearest the Last Supper and the Sforza Castle.

The hotel is clean, and some rooms have been recently redone. For those who don't like stairs, there is a (small) elevator that can fit about two people and two suitcases.

Breakfast is not included, but it's not necessary. Just grab a quick espresso and pastry in the train station before hopping on the metro and seeing the sites.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank FmrPresJamesTaylor

Reviewed 26 July 2013

I know I am almost copying the title of my review from a previous review, but I could not find a better way to summarize my overall experience.

We booked this place since it was close to the Centrale railway station. This is just 5mins walk from the station, ideal location in that sense if you have heavy bags and do not prefer to walk a lot from/to Centrale.

Starting from check-in, the experience was not very smooth. The front desk person did not even mentioned regarding the breakfast. When we told him that our rate includes breakfast, he reluctantly looked it up, and agreed that it does.

This is an old place. rooms are old, a bit congested. Everything would have been fine, but in this extremely hot and muggy summer, we had an ancient air conditioner in the room, which was struggling to make even a minor difference in the temperature. We waited patiently, but nothing. We were sweating and tired, and it must have taken it (we had somehow managed to sleep) till midnight or later for that a/c to bring down the heat. It was really terrible experience.

Book this hotel ONLY if you are on a budget AND you need to stay close to the station AND if it is not hot outside. I wish I had booked a better place.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank vsree
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Easy to get to from the train station. Inexpensive. Quiet, clean, large room on top floor. No ac. This was a problem since the windows could not be left open due to the mosquitoes. Breakfast was not included, but breakfast was served (perhaps included with other rooms?). Staff was polite and professional. I'd recommend this hotel if you're on a tight budget, otherwise, I'd find someplace with ac.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank lad18
Reviewed 6 July 2013

We booked this hotel based on Rick Steve's Italy book which suggested it as being close to the Central train station. We were getting in to Milan on the train at 10:30 PM after a long day of travel and we had booked two rooms for our family of 5. When we got to the hotel the night deskman got a panicked look on his his face and started claiming he did not have a reservation. I saw a sheet of paper on his desk that had our names and room numbers clearly listed. When I pointed that out he got really panicked and started calling people and shuffling papers everywhere. I could not understand what he said because it was in Italian but basically I gathered they had given our room to someone else. Instead of just admitting that he spent the next HOUR on the phone getting instructions to go into the website and cancel our reservation. At that point he said "see it was not my fault your reservation was cancelled." Meanwhile my family including 3 tired kids sat miserably in the lobby. They did get the entertainment of several other guest of the hotel come up and scream at the guy for his rude service. I can't believe Rick Steve's listed this place. We ended up going to the next door Flora Hotel with nicer rooms for the same rate (Flora also included a great breakfast which was not included here).

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank ColeTravels
Reviewed 6 July 2013

At 120 Euro, the hotel provides average quality of stay. We visited in the hot month of July...the Aircon was an issue and the room had mosquitos. So we shifted next doors to Hotel Berna....more expensive, but great quality at Berna. Most 3 star hotels have centralized aircons, that they switch off at night... which is an issue in the hot months (we are not aware of this). Not recommended for a family with kids; good if you are on average budget.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 June 2013 via mobile

Arriving at Milan Centrale we was greeted by rain. It was quiet a messy day, as we were in terrible jetlag. This hotel is located a couple of minutes away from the centrale main entrance. Along the route to the hotel, we came across multiple Italian restaurant, we have spent most of our time enjoying pizza and risotto, yummy. Walking passed the main entrance of Garda Hotel we was greeted by Roberto, a tall friendly Italian guy, of course Italian as we were in Milan. Without hesitation he pronounced my name correctly and the check in process was flawless. The room is quite small but very clean and tidy. The aroma of macchiato in the restaurant was one of the best coffee aroma ever.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Hazmyr
Reviewed 16 June 2013

This hotel is in an excellent location - close to the train station and a half hour walk from central Milan (Sforza Castle). My room was fairly clean, but the decor is a bit dated. Front desk staff are friendly. For the price, I would stay again.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo