Monopole de la Gare
Club Hotel(Milan)
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 January 2014

We needed a room for just one night and we wanted to stay near the Central station. And we got that... The elevator to the room was frightening, it reminded me of horror movies. The room was basic and had a strange smell. The toilet and shower were disastrous!!! I didn't want to touch anything as is was so dirty and full of mold. It's definitely overpriced and you are asked to pay a tax of 4€ per person per night in cash upon your arrival.
It was ok for one night but that's it!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mala_maja
Reviewed 24 December 2013

I don't like staying near the Stazione Centrale when I am in Milan, but there are times when my travel schedule calls to be near the station. In this case, the Monopole was a last-minute decision and I could have done a lot worse. Ask for a superior room in the new wing - they're a lot more modern and surprizingly larger than expect - worth shelving out the extra Euro's. Although I preferred breakfast in a typical Italian cafe, the breakfast (typical continental-style) seemed good. It appears that tour groups are using the hotel and this is always a good sign if you are not staying at a boutique style property.

Room Tip: Try the new wing and ask for a superior room upgrade if possible.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Xerys
Reviewed 20 December 2013

Exceptionally friendly desk staff, free luggage storage, decent Wi-Fi (one or two glitches in connection) and super-clean and neat. We were upgraded to a renovated superior suite at no extra charge, and this came with a wonderful shower and great television and beds. Overall, we were very impressed. The staff spoke very good English as well. The only downsides were that we got a twin bed set when we had booked a double, and that the mini-bar fridge in the room didn't seem to be working all that well. But for around 60 Euros for the night, we were bowled over by the hotel! The hotel is only a few hundred meters from Milano Central train station, which has a metro station on the lower ground floor for no-fuss connections to other parts of the city. Please remember to exit on Piazza Quattro Novembre from the station, as this is the easiest way to approach the hotel. The area is slightly dicey at night, but is near some very cheap diner style restaurants and one of Milan's seemingly few gay clubs is about a block away. They seem to be a popular choice for young international travellers, but the hotel was not too noisy (although one can hear some of the louder noises from adjoining rooms). Room service is available, as well as a free internet connection point in the common area. Very pleasant experience - would definitely stay again. :-)

Room Tip: Third floor renovated rooms are quite special - original artwork, dreamy bathrooms with rain showers and good quality mattresses.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jarryn K
Reviewed 17 December 2013 via mobile

We were greeted by an unexpected upgrade to a superior suite! Marvellous! The four of us were then recommended to eat at a brilliant restaurant nearby called 'friends' - and after our free bottle of limoncello we were indeed friends!!! Food standard negligible but atmosphere fantastic! The rest of the time was great with clean sheets everyday and a very enjoyable breakfast and showerhead. Thank you!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 September 2013

I think star ratings need to be reviewed as they are sometimes very misleading. This is not a 3 star hotel, in comparison to other 3 star hotels this is not a great place to stay. The rooms look nothing like the photos on the site! I had to stay for a night in Milan so my boss booked this last minute as it looked ok and is near the main station, but for 141 euros I would expect something a lot better than this! I have to say the staff were lovely and very helpful, it is just that the hotel itself has seen better days. On arrival to my room I was concerned to see no decent lock on the door, just a handle with one of those lock buttons on it. The tv was tiny and very old, the furniture is dated and you can hear noise from the rooms either side of you. The street outside is also very noisy. The bathroom was not very nice at all, there was mould all over the ceiling above the shower :-(. Towels were clean and there are basic amenities such as shower gel provided but I would prefer no shower gel and for them to sort the mould out!! The area itself is not really suitable for lone female travellers, as with most cities the areas near a main station are not usually great, and even as someone who speaks Italian and knows Italy fairly well I did not feel very safe. The breakfast choice was small but better than nothing, I just had coffee as I wanted to check out as soon as I could. Once again I must say the staff were great but please do not expect much from this place, if you want somewhere to stay for one night because you are getting a train somewhere it is tolerable but not for any longer.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business