“Not Bad For The Price!”
Review of Trentina

Trentina
Ranked #404 of 431 Hotels in Milan
Reviewed 9 February 2012

My husband and I stayed here in September 2011, and while I wouldn't call this an excellent hotel, it certainly fit the bill. The room was small, yes, but we had enough space for our bags and that was all we needed. The air conditioner worked fine as did the TV, and there was always enough hot water.

I've read several reviews complaining about the noise, cold water and dirty walls, but we didn't have that experience. Maybe it was our room, or maybe they've taken some of the negative reviews into account, I don't know.

Breakfast was plentiful, and we enjoyed it. The best part about this hotel, though, is the location. You're very close to two metro stops, and we walked around the area at night and never felt unsafe. There's a park across the street where kids played all day, and some great cafes in the area.

Based on the negative reviews combined with my experience, I guess I'd say book with caution, but we enjoyed our time at Trentina very much. For the price, I think it's a good deal.

Oh, and the staff was ALWAYS kind, courteous and friendly.

Room Tip: Maybe request a room that doesn't face the front of the hotel - when we were there construction...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PastryNinja

Reviewed 23 November 2011

We only had one night in Milan and with 2 adults and 2 children, we had an extremely hard time trying to find a family room - or even interconnecting rooms. Even the big chain hotels couldnt confirm that if we booked 2 rooms, they would be beside each other. With a 4 and 6 yr old, this was proving to be a real problem! When i found Hotel Trentina, i was so happy - central position, family room, breakfast included, good reviews and quick email correspondance. When we arrived, after an early train from Verona, we found major renovations happening, and the room was a normal hotel room size with a tiny double bed and two singles crammed in. There was no space for our luggage.....The shower was so small that if you were even a little 'large' you wouldnt be able to fit in it. The rooms were pretty grimy, and beds uncomfrortable, however the sheets were clean. My husband gave me 'that look' and couldnt believe i had chosen such a hotel for our last night of what was a fantastic 3 weeks in Italy. The door to the small balcony was dodgy - couldnt really lock it. The balcony was dirty and unpleasant. The rooms are certainly not somewhere you would choose to spend any time in - it is just a place to sleep. There is a park opposite which was handy for the kids, but the area is a bit dodgy - wouldnt want to walk around after dark.....So - in summary, if you need a cheap place to sleep, this fits the bill perfectly. If you want anything more, then keep looking.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank NLKx4
Reviewed 20 November 2011

Got a little lost trying to find it from Piola metro station. Felt that it was easier coming from Loreta metro station (but that was after we've located the hotel). It was less than 10 minutes by foot from either metro stops. The guys at reception are friendly and speaks good English. Told us places to visit and eat. We like the residential area with a small park diagonally opposite. There are a few eateries nearby and a vending kiosk where we bought water. Hotel next door was undergoing construction during our stay but we were out the whole day and back only after dinner.

Our room was at the front, on the same floor as the reception area. It was not noisy as the area is rather quiet. But we could hear people coming in and out of the hotel. The room was clean and adequate sized with an attached toilet that was small. The bed was two singles joined together to make a double bed. One side was firm and the other sunk all the way making it uncomfortable. However, we did not bother changing rooms. The room has a TV and the hotel has Wi-Fi Internet connection. The breakfast room is small but comfortable and breakfast selection was limited but adequate.

During our 3 days stay, we explored Milan and took the train to Lake Como which was breathtakingly beautiful.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 October 2011

Traveled to Milan in August and in a rush I booked a room in this hotel, if one may call it this way. Staying in Trentina almost ruined my trip, cause it was waaaaay below my expectations that I got after reading the reviews here. At first glance, as I got there from Milano Centrale, I was totally happy – the location was awesome. But my happiness quickly vanished as I got into the room where I actually was going to be living for an entire week. Something must’ve been completely wrong – Trentina was far from being the cheapest hotel in Milan, but looked like it. The room was not clean at all. I made a few steps on the floor barefoot and I strongly regretted that. The walls had stains on them. Beds were uncomfortable and narrow. Had problems with hot water in the shower (which was, by the way, extremely small) – now I see this was mentioned by other reviewers, too. Formally, the staff looked friendly, but I don’t think they cared much about the comfort of the guests. For instance, talking loud on the phone in the middle of the night was quite a common thing.
I had an impulse to move to another hotel in the beginning of my stay. However, I thought that there’s no guarantee other hotels wouldn’t be just as bad… So I stayed and tried to be as patient as possible. My advice is to avoid this hotel, if you want to have a relaxed stay in Milan.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Ilya K
Reviewed 9 October 2011

I have no idea how can this "hotel" rate among the top 100 hotels in Milan. It would be fair for Trentina to be renamed into a hostel. I stayed in many other hotels with exactly the same prices, but I've never seen such a poor accommodation before. I strongly advice that you pay more attention to the negative reviews before you decide to book it. They do look more credible than the positive ones now when I've seen the hotel.

In the room where I stayed the walls were all covered in stains like someone was kicking all over them with dirty boots. Also, a few dead mosquitoes could be seen in a few places on the walls - not a pleasant sight I tell you. And by the way, there were plenty of live mosquitoes, too. There was no curtain on the window, and I had real hard time trying to close the wooden blinds - it felt like they would fall off if i pull just a bit harder. The furniture in the room was old. The air conditioner didn't work.

Thank god the bed linen was clean, but the bed was extremely uncomfortable. Another thing that totally spoiled the sleep was the noise. Any phone call on the reception, people going upstairs - every sound was heard through the thin door, like if there was no door at all. Also, in the neighbour building they were making renovation, so it was impossible to sleep when construction workers started working in the morning.

The shower cabin was so small, that not every person would fit inside (see photo). One of the shower door panels was falling off. But the biggest letdown was that there never was hot water! To get relatively warm water in the shower, I needed to wait for 10-15 minutes while water was pouring. And actually it didn't always work, so a couple of times I had to wash with cold water.

Coffee and croissants at the breakfast were okay, but other than that there wasn't much else to eat. If other guests ate the ham and cheese before you came - don't expect to get any yourself. Spoons and knives were definitely washed in a rush - had to wipe some soap stains with a napkin.

If I think of advantages, there were really few of them - location (within walking distance from the central station and city center), free wifi and towels being changed every day. However, with all the other features of this hotel, this is too little to rate it any higher than 1 point out of 5.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank dg_the_muse
Reviewed 30 September 2011

My first night at Trentina was good. It wasn't that hard to find. I was lucky as I'm quite good with maps and streets. If you are coming from Loreta Metro, follow the signs towards Via Abruzzi and head down Via San Sasso street (the hotel will be on the left down the 3rd or 4th street). You can get lost in Loreta as the exits are far apart, but from Via Abruzzi, it's literally a 5-10min walk. Note also, there are lifts in the metros, but what I cannot fathom is that Milan Metro generally has escalators going up but none going down (I only found one in my journey's which actually went down). Not great, but I can imagine that's how Italians keep fit.

I was apprehensive before I arrived at the hotel as I heard the neighbourhood was a bit shady. It appears the area has cleaned up a bit.

I am a lone male travellor, and felt safe at all times of the day, I also noticed a lot of female lone travellors walking around, but I still suggest female travellors do not travel alone. Area is well lit and lots of vehicles pass through the roads to the piazza. The hotel itself is actually situated right on a corner of a square of a small quiet childrens park.

Loreta is a nice residential area connected to the shopping street, Buenos Aires. There is even a McDonalds in the Piazza as well as a few coffee shops/pizzareas. There is a small express supermarket down Van Sasso or the road adjacent. There is a larger cheaper one down Piola (one stop away from Loreta Metro) near the University. Both are Carrefour (one of the largest supermarket chains in the World).

My room was ok. It did what I needed of it. A nice clean room, with a comfortable bed, good air and a clean ensuite. The shower was quite small. But I managed. The room was cleaned every day. New bed sheets, towels and bins cleaned out.

The breakfast was good the dinning room moderately sized. Breakfast starts from 7am till 10.30am. Enough time for me to wake up early and trek/scout out Milan. There were lots of guests from different nationalities all were friendly and the children well-behaved.

The main gem of the hotel was the staff. Their English was good and were very friendly. First night in, the night staff gave me a map and marked out all the spots which are of interest. Effortless and easy to approach. They work very hard too - working long shifts.

Location was very good. Metro was a short distance away, 15-20mins away from the Duomo. About fourteen stops away from San Siro (football stadium) all on one line with no changes (red line).

The Central Train Station is about 2-3 stops away or a 20-30min walk if you prefer from Loreto. There is a train that will take you all the way to Venice Central Station. The ticket machines are in English on the ground floor. Trains are on the top floor. Each single ticket in 2nd class with seat assignment costs around 32euros and takes around 2-1/2 hrs each way. Cheaper than an overnight stay in Venice with plane tickets. Note, also Venice will be impossing a tax on stays less than 5nights in their hotels. I managed to do everything I wanted in venice in one day from 11am till 7pm. I have heard the area around the Milan Main Station is not great, even though restaurants and McD's is around the corner, I suggest you get out of dodge and get back to Loreto through the Metro - don't walk it in the evening.

All in all, I enjoyed my stay and found more treasures and became more confident around Loreto as I explored the area during the day and night.

PS - In the square where the Hotel is based, there are one of those popular self-service machines. Natural mineral water there is .50 euro for fizzy or still. Much cheaper than anywhere else I've been. Coffee machine is not bad either 50cents. Next to that is an Ice Cream shop. Not bad ice cream and again cheaper than most places I've been.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 September 2011

Little but busy hotel with easy access to bus lines and the underground. Quite a few restaurants and bars in the neighbourhood. Breakfast was OK. The staff were very helpful and nice. We had a quad room which was rather cramped but for three nights was ok.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends