“Surprisingly disguised good value, tasty restaurant”
Review of Ristorante Mar Rosso - CLOSED

Ristorante Mar Rosso
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
“Surprisingly disguised good value, tasty restaurant”
Reviewed 26 January 2014

We decided to have a drink of wine in the restaurant in order to review the menu before ordering food. Once sat at the table we decided the place seemed an authentic no frills kind of eatery, fairly popular with locals and some loyal returning tourists. We order 1/2 litre of house red wine, which we ended up having two of as it was nice. We had bruschetta to start which was very tasty, followed by 4 cheese gnocchi and a sirloin steak. Both mains were lovely and more than enough portion wise. The waitress was very friendly and the meal was really reasonably priced at 37 euros including a house salad and 2 cappuccinos.

• Visited January 2014

New York City, New York
“Great value for money - big surprise”
Reviewed 7 October 2013

This joint is just opposite the Ramada Plaza Hotel (Via Stamira D'Ancona, 27) in Milan. I ate here almost everyday during my stay and always enjoyed it. The first time I went there I was skeptical since the staff (and presumably the chef - never bothered to ask) were Egyptians but it was close to midnight and I needed something to eat so I went in any way. I later learned
from some Milanese I met in Venice that it's very rare to see Italians in most "everyday" restaurants because the immigrants cook just as well once they've live in Italy long enough to understand the nitty gritty of Italian cuisine, are okay with late-night shifts, and may be a bit cheaper when it comes to salaries.

I've tried the Pizzas which are pretty good although I'd like less fluffy base/crust and a bit more salt. Many people seem to delight in the pizzas here which are typically around $7.50 to $8.50. They offer a 2-course menu (antipasti like pasta, gnocchi or risotto; and a primi piatti or first "main" course of meat + a side of either salad or zucchini) for approx. $12 at lunch time. Enjoyed their set lunch menu whenever I tried it - Fusili pomodoro with zucchini, salsicia + salad; Risotto (onion I think) + grilled chicken breast etc. Excellent value for money.
I also happened to try their beef entrecote in mushroom cream sauce which, albeit heavy, tasted quite good @ $18; the "Zuppa Di Cozze" (mussels in tomato sauce basically) and "Risotto Frutti Di Mare" (Seafood Risotto) - costing $9 and $12 respectively - were also nice.
In addition to the food, you'd probably order something to do drink and I always went with a quart ("quarto" - about 2 glasses) of the house red wine which is about $6.

The ambience is simple - it is an everyday type of restaurant - and it is a markedly Catholic touch (lots of pictures of Mary, Jesus around) which adds a nice feel to the place i.e. a little more "old school Italy". The clientele are a mixed bunch but mostly people working or living in the neighborhood and it gets very busy around lunch, and peak hours in the evening / weekends. Yes, all people in there looked like local Italians so the food must be pretty good by Italian standards too.
Service for things other than pizza is a bit slow but the staff are very friendly people so don't be surprised if they offer you something for free every now and then if you show up often enough or leave a good tip. Note: Except for one female member of staff the others speak very little English.
Lovely little place. Glad a found it. Great value for money. Recommended.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank harshapaulraj
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Mar Rosso - Near the Ramada (May 2013)”
Reviewed 13 May 2013

Such a lovely little place!
We ate there a few times on our stay to Milan and although the food was nice and the atmosphere was good - what really made it for us was the waitress there. We didn't catch her name but she worked there both nights that we ate there and was great at recommending us food and drink. She threw in a few Limoncello shots our first night and focaccia on our second night and she was worth every cent of the 10Euros we ended up tipping her.
The place does look a little divey but it's a safe area, everything was clean and the food was hot and tasty.
Definitely don't be put off by the décor or the area - it's a really nice and affordable place.

• Visited May 2013
Portadown, United Kingdom
“Excellent Pizza!”
Reviewed 13 October 2012

First night in Italy & Milan! Pizzas where fantastic! Beer and service too. Price was great as it was cheap for 2 large pizzas!

• Visited October 2012