“Fun and Funky”

Ranked #7 of 431 Hotels in Milan
Phoenix, Arizona
“Fun and Funky”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

We chose this hotel specifically because it was within walking distance to the Navigli area and our dinner reservation at al Pont de Ferr. It is an easy walk, even in heels, to all the bars and pubs, and we walked home after dinner around midnight with no worries. Lots of foot traffic, very friendly vibe with lots of young people out. The transportation hub is great - subway and train around the corner, taxi stand outside. Stayed in the surf room downstairs, no noise issues at all! The hotel itself was fun and funky, great modern design that manages to feel like your own home, if you lived in a million-dollar pad. Friendly staff, always helpful and smiling, even patiently helped us decipher the lobby TV and fixed us a toddy as we attempted (unsuccessfully) to watch a movie in our bathrobes. Overall, very fun and interesting, a definite to do again!

1 Thank emily h
Alessandro C, Direttore at The Yard Hotel, responded to this review, 26 October 2013
Dear Emily H,

it is a pleasure to have you stay with us and to hear that we have exceeded your expectations. Thank you for taking the time to let us know of your valuable experience, I will certainly share your kind review with our entire team. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Sales & Marketing Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Arabic first
Fairfield County, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

My husband and I were in Milano for only two nights at the end of our eleven day vacation. We stayed in five hotels, one of them was a boutique style, the Yard....I do not have enough words to explain how wonderful this place is.
For starters, my husband and I realized after arriving to Milano from Venezia by train that we left our passports back in the safe of the hotel there. Panicked, knowing it was a Friday (the start of a weekend), we decided we would go to The Yard, check in and see if they could help us with a courier or something to retrieve our passports or we would have to go back and get them ourselves. Thankfully the hotel in Venezia had found our passports in the safe. They were working on getting them sent to us as well....the issue being that it was a weekend and we were leaving early Sunday morning for the airport, they were worried that we wouldn't get them in time.
We arrived at The Yard and right away I was blown away with the decor...wow, tastefully done, with all kinds of items, but not junk, not dusty old items, everything was placed just right in the perfect areas. This place was CLEAN, sparkling clean. The well dressed, very nice, English speaking people at the front desk greeted us with a smile. We told them our dilemma and they were so sympathetic to our situation. They had their manager Gina come out to speak to us. She made us feel comfortable, offered us drinks and told us to sit and relax while she tried to help us out. She called the other hotel, she called a car service, a courier, everything you can think of. She came to us to tell us that SHE was going to take a train into Venezia the next day for us to get our passports and bring them back for us!!! Our jaws dropped. We thanked her but told her she didn't have to do that for us. Her response was that she WANTED to do this for us. She told us that since we were only there for a short time, she wanted us to enjoy our visit. I was going to visit a family member the next day which I would not have been able to do if I had to go back to Venezia. She only wanted money for the train ticket...nothing else. Long story short, she went, we got our passports, we paid her for the ticket and her time, which was probably not enough.
Have you ever heard of anyone doing something like this? Service beyond measure!!! I will never forget what Gina did for us. She is a very special young woman.
Now...everything else about The Yard in my opinion was fantastic. We were in a Rugby room. Our bed was so comfortable, the room was very large, modern bathroom and a nice quaint balcony. Espresso maker in the room, lots of fresh towels, robe & slippers. The bar downstairs is very nice with tons of choices and the bartender couldn't have been nicer.
The breakfast...oh the delicious breakfast....I wanted to eat everything in site!! It was presented beautifully and tasted even better. Everything was fresh and so good.
The recommendations for dinner were spot on. Go with where they send you as you will not be disappointed!
Pina...little, cute doggie. I wanted to take her home with us. You wouldn't even know she was there as she doesn't make any noise and pretty much sleeps, but when you do see her, she is so friendly. When you go, please give her a kiss from me. :)
I hope to go back to the Milano area again to visit my cousin and maybe Lake Como. When I do, there is not a doubt in my mind where I will be staying! THE YARD!!
**To the owners - if you ever consider opening in the USA, please let me know! We can use a place like this in the CT or NY area!!**
Thank you to everyone there for a wonderful stay and for your hospitality.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MomCT
Dear MomCT,

thank you so much for taking the time to write such a thorough review on TripAdvisor and for choosing our hotel for your recent stay in Milan. It is a pleasure to hear that you had such a memorable stay with us and felt comfortable with the room and enjoyed our facilities.
I will share your kind words to the entire team and look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you and your loved ones again.
On behalf of the owners, they are very interested with your offer. If you would like to discuss further, please feel free to contact me at sales@theyardmilano.com

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

Spent one night at The Yard at the end of a trip to Lake Maggiore. The decor may not be to everyone's taste, but I loved it! I was in a rugby-themed room (perfect choice for a Kiwi), but it wasn't at all over-the-top. The bed was incredibly comfortable and the shower was fantastic. By far the highlight though was the lounge/lobby area, with wonderful drinks prepared by Massimo the resident bartender, attentive staff with faultless English, and Piña, the English staffie dog.

I don't particularly enjoy Milan as a place to visit, but The Yard changed my perception as it was so welcoming (and the breakfast, included in the rate, was fabulous). I wish I could have extended my stay, and if I ever return to Milan, will definitely stay there again.

1 Thank KaliNZ1
Dear KaliNZ1,

it gives us a great pleasure to hear that you had such a memorable experience in our hotel, felt comfortable with your room, and enjoyed our Doping Club and the quality of our breakfast. We look forward to welcoming you for another inspiring stay in the near future.

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

Pluses:
-Great service from really friendly and competent staff who speak excellent English even by Milanese standards. Special shout out to the receptionist who is there literally all day but manages to look like a model (!!) and is always polite and willing to help.

-Location: I was initially worried that the hotel would be too far off from central Milan. And yes, it is not really possible to walk (unless you want to walk for 30 mins) but it was nevertheless a convenient location. The hotel is clearly in a transportation hub. There is a taxi stand right opposite to the hotel, which is VERY important because taxis in Milan only take passengers at a stand. I initially thought that taking the taxi would be very expensive, but it was actually quite reasonable. We generally spent somewhere from 7 to 9 euros getting from the hotel to major sights in the city. There are also some decent restaurants next to the hotel.

-I looked the hotel up from Google map's street view and could not find a proper entrance and was initially worried that the building itself would be a bit dodgy-looking from the outside. Actually once you enter the narrow driveway, you will be able to find the entrance, which is quite spacious, classy, and modern. There is also a small cafe outside of the hotel.

-A very sumptuous breakfast that is complimentary! (But we did not realize this until our last 2 days...)

-The receptionist who showed us to our room apologized for the smell of cleaning products but it actually smells great in my opinion!

Minuses:

-The rooms are not very functional in comparison to traditional hotel rooms. There is no rubbish bin or hotel directory/guide, so we didn't really know what type of services or facilities there are. We stayed at a rented apartment that had an apartment guide, so I think this is more or less a basic item that should be in any hotel room. The satellite TV is new and very hi-tech but it was very confusing to use as it is in italian. (Again, a handbook would be helpful so we wouldn't have to bother the staff all the time for these small trivial matters.) Moreover, we got locked out a number of times due to a weird issue with the key. (Apparently the housekeeper uses another key that "overrides" mine?) Though this was resolved swiftly by the staff and we are grateful for their help, part of me thinks that this just should not happen at all?

-Also, the walls are quite thin and we could actually hear people walking and talking outside the building and inside the building from our room on the ground floor. Thankfully, this was not an issue at night, so it did not cause any problems to our sleep.

All in all, we enjoyed our stay at the Yard. I love the design and whole vibe of the hotel, though to be honest, I think that the comfort level is not as high as it can be due to the lack of certain essential hotel room items and kinks here and there. I hope that these things can be worked out in the future because the hotel seems to be managed by some great people!!

Room Tip: Avoid staying on the ground floor if quiet is important during the day
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank asiapproach8
Alessandro C, Direttore at The Yard Hotel, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
Dear Asiapproach8,

it is a pleasure to know that your overall experience was very good. Thank you so much for sharing your kind impression of our hotel. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience you experienced with your room allocation. We regret the standards of our service fell short of your expectations, and we really appreciate your feedback which we will use to improve our service delivery. We are relentlessly looking for ways to serve our guests better and continuing to renew our service so we do hope that you will provide us with another opportunity in your future travels.

Castle Pines, CO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

What a great find! We received fabulous service from the moment we stepped through the front door! Small enough to provide top notch service and resourceful enough to provide awesome suggestions on local dinning. Great bar, just tell him your preferences and let him mix it up! Very comfortable bedding and quiet location, with great restaraunts and shopping within walking distance. Homemade breakfast was very tasty!

Dear Debie R,

it gives us a great pleasure to hear that you had such a memorable experience in our hotel enjoying our Doping Club and the quality of our homemade breakfast. We certainly look forward to welcoming you and your loved one back in the near future, and please let us know if there's anything we can do to make your stay even more special and memorable on your next visit.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

WOW!!!!
I stayed al this gorgeous little Hotel a little over a week ago. And looking for an alternative to big impersonal business hotels I came upon this hidden little diamond.
As you walk in, your eyes just go wow wow wow, the sence of style, warmth of the colors, weird mix of objects and stunning furniture, it is like walking in to someone's amazing house!
Then you sit down on an old barbershop chair to check in, just that! Love it.
And the staff is so kind and helpful, a friendlier approach than normal hotels, they truly seem happy to see you!

My room was so stunning, I was in a tennis inspired suite, and walking up to my room in the evening I could smell the fresh baked cakes for the morning after!!! Talk about making you feel at home!

As much as I loved my room, the heart of the hotel really is the Lobby,, it's so inviting just to sit down and read a book or have a chat! Or enjoy one of the cocktail masterpieces the bartender of the bar makes! I swear he must be a magician. They are not drinks, they are work of art.

Can't wait until I will come back to Milan, and stay at the Yard again.
And cuddle with the Yard mascot Pinuccia ( a gorgeous little dog )

Lots of love,
G.

Room Tip: If you have a specific sports interest, tell them beforehand, they might just be able to put the ded...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Dear Malou L,

thank you so much for taking the time to write such a thorough review on TripAdvisor and for your kind words of appreciation for our associates and their service delivery. We are very pleased to note that you had such a great time enjoying the variety of our service and facilities as this is the best reward for all of us. Thank you so much for letting us know your plan to return, and it will be with pleasure that we will welcome you again in the near future.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

From the entrance you can make out this is not your everyday hotel, the amount of time i can only imagine the owners must have taken to collect the artifacts from around the world, Love the way each room is individual, quite in the center of the city 5 mins to the duomo, and good eateries around, loved the way breakfast was served, little few facilities then a standard 5 star hotel, but charming and different.
Service is top notch, extra ordinary service, feels like you are at home, a quirky home but home.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family