This is a VERY SPECIAL place. I cannot stress this enough! The work and special attention to detail would have a hard time escaping anyone's notice! Each room is themed, I checked out two rooms and loved them both (see my pictures!). Gorgeous Gorgeous. It's been nearly 2 months & I still think of my experience Fondly. I had to write a review.
I visit Milan for at least 1 month out of the year, 2 weeks after the Cannes Film Festival and 2 weeks after MIPCOM in Cannes. I come to Milan as a solo female traveler - I used to school in Italy & it's important for me not to forget the culture & language.
Hotel service and execution isn't as competitive in Milan as it is in Florence & Rome who rely on Tourism. You usually will always find something wrong with a hotel wether it be service, furnishings, price or location when it comes to Milan. Yard Suite proved me wrong! This is the first hotel that meets all the expectations for a global traveller like myself.
I had a terrible experience at Hotel Pierre thru a recommendation on Expedia (terrible service & location), then I stayed at Hotel Berna (due to the outrageously made up reviews and undeserved high ranking on TripAdvisor) and prior to that stay, 3 other hotels in Milan that were "so-so", overpriced or the location was too out of the way... I found this hotel on Hotel Tonight because I stayed one night at Hotel Berna and had to check out immediately even though I had 4 more days in Milan. Let me tell you, I was blown away by the service here - I was thoroughly impressed with the hotel overall. The place is meant to make people feel at home and also have a place where you can make friends. This lobby and the layout is what Soho House should be and probably the closest thing to a Soho House in all of Italy.
-Interior Decoration is cool, trendy, yet classy in an upscale way.
- Service was great. This is the ONLY hotel in Milan other than Four Seasons where someone immediately came up to me upon arrival and grabbed my suitcase without me having to ask.
- I was checked in and was given a full overview of the hotel.
- Sitting areas and a screening room for guests to feel at home.
- Comfortable beds in rooms
- Thick walls! This is hard to find in Milan!
- So Much Lighting. A real estate developer told me once, yo always know a good boutique hotel by how much lighting options they give you. Well. My room had about 20 different ways to light the room. They really thought of detail and really go above and beyond with building the rooms.
- Nespresso Machines & complimentary pods in room (If you are a coffee fanatic... this is a real treat)
- Location Location! The Yard is a perfectly situated in the "Soho" of Milan. Porta Ticinese. Amazing shopping, where all the locals go to eat in a trendy fashion and also a streetcar away from the Duomo! It's a great place to stroll for couples. I also liked how all the dining options in the area are meant for foodies, not for tourists (like near the Duomo or Centrale).
- Complimentary snacks and drinks in the lobby in the afternoon.
-Complimentary Breakfast here is THE BEST. And I have stayed in every 4/5 star hotel in this town. Believe me. I rate their breakfast extremely high because the quality of the cheeses, meats, rare fruit from Sicily, juice is legitimately freshly squeezed and so much more. Not only is quantity great here but so is the quality of breakfast.
- I don't know if it's a family or unrelated individuals who work at this hotel but they felt like a family and made you feel like one too.. I thought this was special.
- Air Conditioning and temperature control was great!
- Bathrooms are extremely well done! Modern. Robes & Slippers are given to each guest. I just love this place!
- I had a lot of work to get done & I really liked the desks in my room & in the lobby!
- I also like how the place also gives you a piece of history, decorated with a mixture of modern and antiques. Well done!
- The guests were extremely friendly. I think because Milan isn't very touristy, it's hard to navigate the city even as a couple or family. It's always a pity to see couples looking at maps at a hotel breakfast feeling secluded from everyone else; at The Yard, I noticed that the layout of the dining area, welcoming vibe & the ambience of "home" really made the guests open up to each other and I found that lacking at other hotels in Milan. And... it was nice to see.
In short, I am extremely pleased I ended up staying the rest of my duration at The Yard Suite & Dependance! I almost felt like I was getting such a good deal for the nightly rate because I was getting more in return & I guess I just had such bad experiences and this made up for all of it! I also really liked the Macrobiotic - Vegan restaurant next-door! It reminded me of Neal's Yard or M Cafe and I ate there twice in a row. I also wanted to emphasize... it is extremely difficult to navigate a good hotel in Milan, all the expectations a person would have in any other city are rarely met. Yard Suite & Dependance has proved me wrong!
I will always stay here now and have already recommended this place to my PR friends who are always looking for the best places to book their celebrity clients. It will not disappoint you!
Photos: I wish I took more photos of lobby, bar and dining area because the place is gorgeous. However, the photos on their website sum it up!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- As it happens with all the most fascinating adventures, that of The Yard begins by lucky coincidence. Looking for a place where to live with its family, its owner instead found a vocation. Mixing the enthusiasm for a new challenge with the experience achieved during his many travels around the world, he built a small and comfortable guest house out of thin air. Spontaneously, this initial project became something more, and in a few years The Yard turned into a prestigious boutique hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Agoda, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, Ebookers and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Yard Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.