“Hospitable, Nice, Classy Experience + Made up for hassles at other hotels”
Review of The Yard Hotel

The Yard Hotel
Ranked #5 of 427 Hotels in Milan
Los Angeles, California
“Hospitable, Nice, Classy Experience + Made up for hassles at other hotels”
Reviewed 12 December 2013

This is a VERY SPECIAL place. I cannot stress this enough! The work and special attention to detail would have a hard time escaping anyone's notice! Each room is themed, I checked out two rooms and loved them both (see my pictures!). Gorgeous Gorgeous. It's been nearly 2 months & I still think of my experience Fondly. I had to write a review.

I visit Milan for at least 1 month out of the year, 2 weeks after the Cannes Film Festival and 2 weeks after MIPCOM in Cannes. I come to Milan as a solo female traveler - I used to school in Italy & it's important for me not to forget the culture & language.

Hotel service and execution isn't as competitive in Milan as it is in Florence & Rome who rely on Tourism. You usually will always find something wrong with a hotel wether it be service, furnishings, price or location when it comes to Milan. Yard Suite proved me wrong! This is the first hotel that meets all the expectations for a global traveller like myself.

I had a terrible experience at Hotel Pierre thru a recommendation on Expedia (terrible service & location), then I stayed at Hotel Berna (due to the outrageously made up reviews and undeserved high ranking on TripAdvisor) and prior to that stay, 3 other hotels in Milan that were "so-so", overpriced or the location was too out of the way... I found this hotel on Hotel Tonight because I stayed one night at Hotel Berna and had to check out immediately even though I had 4 more days in Milan. Let me tell you, I was blown away by the service here - I was thoroughly impressed with the hotel overall. The place is meant to make people feel at home and also have a place where you can make friends. This lobby and the layout is what Soho House should be and probably the closest thing to a Soho House in all of Italy.

-Interior Decoration is cool, trendy, yet classy in an upscale way.
- Service was great. This is the ONLY hotel in Milan other than Four Seasons where someone immediately came up to me upon arrival and grabbed my suitcase without me having to ask.
- I was checked in and was given a full overview of the hotel.
- Sitting areas and a screening room for guests to feel at home.
- Comfortable beds in rooms
- Thick walls! This is hard to find in Milan!
- So Much Lighting. A real estate developer told me once, yo always know a good boutique hotel by how much lighting options they give you. Well. My room had about 20 different ways to light the room. They really thought of detail and really go above and beyond with building the rooms.
- Nespresso Machines & complimentary pods in room (If you are a coffee fanatic... this is a real treat)
- Location Location! The Yard is a perfectly situated in the "Soho" of Milan. Porta Ticinese. Amazing shopping, where all the locals go to eat in a trendy fashion and also a streetcar away from the Duomo! It's a great place to stroll for couples. I also liked how all the dining options in the area are meant for foodies, not for tourists (like near the Duomo or Centrale).
- Complimentary snacks and drinks in the lobby in the afternoon.
-Complimentary Breakfast here is THE BEST. And I have stayed in every 4/5 star hotel in this town. Believe me. I rate their breakfast extremely high because the quality of the cheeses, meats, rare fruit from Sicily, juice is legitimately freshly squeezed and so much more. Not only is quantity great here but so is the quality of breakfast.
- I don't know if it's a family or unrelated individuals who work at this hotel but they felt like a family and made you feel like one too.. I thought this was special.
- Air Conditioning and temperature control was great!
- Bathrooms are extremely well done! Modern. Robes & Slippers are given to each guest. I just love this place!
- I had a lot of work to get done & I really liked the desks in my room & in the lobby!
- I also like how the place also gives you a piece of history, decorated with a mixture of modern and antiques. Well done!
- The guests were extremely friendly. I think because Milan isn't very touristy, it's hard to navigate the city even as a couple or family. It's always a pity to see couples looking at maps at a hotel breakfast feeling secluded from everyone else; at The Yard, I noticed that the layout of the dining area, welcoming vibe & the ambience of "home" really made the guests open up to each other and I found that lacking at other hotels in Milan. And... it was nice to see.

In short, I am extremely pleased I ended up staying the rest of my duration at The Yard Suite & Dependance! I almost felt like I was getting such a good deal for the nightly rate because I was getting more in return & I guess I just had such bad experiences and this made up for all of it! I also really liked the Macrobiotic - Vegan restaurant next-door! It reminded me of Neal's Yard or M Cafe and I ate there twice in a row. I also wanted to emphasize... it is extremely difficult to navigate a good hotel in Milan, all the expectations a person would have in any other city are rarely met. Yard Suite & Dependance has proved me wrong!

I will always stay here now and have already recommended this place to my PR friends who are always looking for the best places to book their celebrity clients. It will not disappoint you!

Photos: I wish I took more photos of lobby, bar and dining area because the place is gorgeous. However, the photos on their website sum it up!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank Trotsee
Alessandro C, Direttore generale at The Yard Hotel, responded to this review, 14 December 2013
Dear Trotsee.
First of all thank you so much for taking time for writing such a detailed review!
And we are honoured and humbled by your kind words.

What we want to give our guest is exactly what you describe. To make them feel at home, a part of our family and friends.
The passion for even the smallest detail is because we treat this hotel as if it was our own home, and that our guests are happy and comfortabe is everything to us.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope to welcome you back some day soon.
The kindest regards from all of us at The Yard hotel.
Lisa
Front Desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 10 December 2013 via mobile

One of the best place I've visited in my life. Cozy vibe and super cool atmosphere. Great breakfast, lovely hospitality and amazing details. Special thanks to Lisa, Rose and Max (super nice guy from the night shift) Room was very comfortable and clean, big bathroom, lovely terrace that was part of my room. And the LOBBY!!! Just amazing. The unique atmosphere and best bartender Maximo. My "doping" drink was a pice of art. If you come to Milano THE YARD is a place to stay!!!!

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank RobertoExl
Dear Roberto.

We are happy you had a great stay at THe Yard Hotel. It's very helpful to have our guests feedback so we know what made you most content, so we can continue to get better and make you even happier.
We hope to welcome you back someday in the future.
Kind reagard and since we are close....Merry Xmas.

Lisa
Front Desk
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 7 December 2013 via mobile

I had a very pleasant stay at the Yard while in Milano for a business trip. The rooms were huge by European standards and I loved the decor. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. The room was so quiet I could not believe I was staying right at Porta Ticinese which is a very bustling part of the city. Excellent restaurants can be find all over near the hotel and the Duomo is a short tram ride away although I walked most nights. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Matt L
Alessandro C, Direttore at The Yard Hotel, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Gentile Matt L,

it is a pleasure to have you stay with us during your business trip, and to know that you felt comfortable with the room and enjoyed the area. Thank you so much for your valuable feedback on our service delivery of our staff. We will certainly improve the quality & efficiency of our service toward our valuable guests such as yourself. Thank you once again for your valuable feedback, and we do hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you better in the future.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 4 December 2013

I booked the hotel for 3nights but needed to check out 1 day earlier. When I informed a day before the owner Alexandro said he could not change my reservation because I had booked through Venere.com. which was all lie. When I checked Venere.com policy they mentioned they could not modify the reservation after the check in, only the hotel herself could change for free of charge. He insisted to pay for whole 3 nights since he could not re-sale for the next day. But the hotel was not fully booked anyway! He promised for the 1 night refund if I could prove that Verene's policy but he had not refund yet.
Also, he asked me to have a breakfast at the room as there would be investigation from official.
I doubt some of their operation is not met the regulation.
They did not change the bath towels nor the sheets for the second day either even thought they charge over 200Euro per night!
It was a nightmare and my Milan trip has been destroyed by this hotel owner!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Alessandro C, Direttore generale at The Yard Hotel, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Dear Yurik0

We are firm belivers in the value of hard work, and we have an enormous respect for our guests. Everyday we do our very best to make sure that our guests have their every need met.
Unfortunately, witnessing your behavior during the request of cancellation, only the night before wanting to leave early, we are not surprised by your judgment of our Hotel.

The reality of the situation is actually quite the opposite of what you say.
Having just recently enlarged our structure, there are certain controls requested by Law, that we have no power of choosing hour or date. This is to ensure the safety of your guests, that is something we have always done and will always do.
The control in question was by the Firemen, and we chose to have our guests enjoy their breakfast in the privacy of their room, to avoid disturbance buy the control or complicate the important work that the firemen do for the safety of us all.
We are sorry, that the ‘in room’ service was not to your liking, since everyone else seemed content.

As for the cancellation of your last night, it is necessary to say that this was only communicated to us the night before, and my first answer was that we would have verified immediately with Venere’s policy of cancellation, because being a small structure makes it a bit complicated with last minute cancellations on the various research sites, they often wary.
If you could see the situation from our point of view, you’d understand that having only around 20 rooms, if a few rooms all would ask for the last minute cancellation, for us it would be impossible to work, therefore our cancellation policy.
Without that a lot of guests could book a longer stay and then just cancel once checked in, and yes! That would give us huge problems.

Your threat of writing us a bad review was very clear in you threatening mail, to reimburse you or you would write a bad review. A shame, since we did as promised and checked with Venere, and they confirmed that they could not cancel. So that would mean, not having you pay, we would have to pay the commission for something we did not earn, to be able to please your needs.
So one would think you’d understand our situation, and we would have been more than happy to give you a special rate for a future stay with us.
I repeat, since the booking was not made directly with us but through Venere, the cancellation request should have been made directly to Venere.
And what do you know… they do NOT give you the possibility to cancel a checked in stay at any hotel!!!

As for the change of towels and sheets, we keep to the regulation of all international 4 or even better 5 star hotels, ( if you place the towel on the floor, we do change it! If not it means you are reusing it and respecting the nature, by not overusing water! )
Of course, all you had to do was to tell us you like your sheets and towels changed every day!
The good thing about being a small hotel is that we can dedicate more time to the various requests of our guests, and make it more personalized. All you need to do is ask.

Of course we are sorry about this situation, and Do invite you to come back and stay with us, since in your “ threats” in the mail also said that if we’d reimburse you, you said you’d write a wonderful review!
This will only teach us more and we will grow and get better on how to handle certain situations.

To finish, you write that “ you had a nightmare trip in Milan “ putting a lot of importance to Tripadvisor review, we find it quit clear that the complaints of sheets and towels is your way of revenge for not having you wish granted.

Your review of our hotel will for sure do us some harm, but this will only make us work harder and even more passionate, in the hope of always welcoming guests at our hotel, even though sometimes rightfully critic, but never as harsh as you madam.

Best regards,

Alessandro
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Small boutique hotel off the touristy area but near to the canal lined with bars and restaurants. It is also very convenient to catch a tram to the Duomo. Absolutely love the decor of the hotel and the room, very classy. Breakfast is a communal affair and you will get the chance to chat to fellow travellers. It is an expensive stay but it is too pretty to resist. Stayed during Summer and we definitely look forward to the air conditioning after a hot day outside.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Free_sp1rit,

we are really happy to note that you had a great experience from arrival to departure and impressed with the quality and comfort of our service and facilities. I will certainly share it with the team. We certainly look forward to welcoming you and your loved ones back for another memorable experience this summer.

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 19 November 2013

We stayed at the Yard last November. It was an awesome place to stay. The rooms were great. Large for and decorated very unique. Also the staff at the hotel were incredibly nice. The women in the morning who made breakfast would always make us something even if we slept past breakfast. The owner gave us great restaurant recommendations--restaurants also had the unique feel as well. Great location--close to the roman columns, the canals. Great Hotel

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jreinus
Dear Jreinus,

We are very pleased to hear that you had such a pleasant stay with us. We value your feedback and will continuously make every effort to keep our room clean, comfortable, and relaxing. We certainly look forward to welcoming you for another memorable stay and to experience our breakfast à la carte.

Breivikbotn Norway
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Very nice place to stay, very friendly staff, design is very different of what I used to see in hotels. You can love it or you can hate it...Very good location for night and day trips out.
What I don't like- the doors are like from paper- so if you have neighbours coming you here every word- they here too I think. And I have never seen safe in the room which is not fixed to the wall- you can take it to your hand and walk away with it :) One more thing- there was a shower in the room and no curtain- so when I take shower water spreads all around so later we had half bathroom with wet floor
I would recommend it and I will come back myself.

Room Tip: Take a room with terase , you can spend wonderfull night there