“Excellent Hotel”
Review of The Yard Hotel

The Yard Hotel
Ranked #4 of 431 Hotels in Milan
Reviewed 19 December 2013

The previous reviews capture it very well

Good location, it seemed to be a 20 minute walk where ever I wanted to go.
Great rooms
Hotel is not too big
Very friendly and good service
Very clean
Interesting decoration
Very good breakfast

Negatives

One bench for breakfast. I am not especially friendly in the morning and am usually in a rush and thus did not want to engage in small talk! Says more about me than the hotel I guess.

There was quite a bit of noise from the corridor.and room service knocked on my door very late at night. Not sure why as I did not answer it!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank tell-it-as-it-is47
Alessandro C, Direttore generale at The Yard Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2013

Dear tell-it-as-it-is47,

Thank you for writing a review on our Hotel! And we are very happy you enjoyed your stay with us.
We very much appreciate feedback from our Guests, since it is our Guests we want to make happy.

As for the late night knock on your door by housekeeping, we appologize! I'm sure they just lost track of time, and didn't realize it was so late. But we do appologize.

Our breakfast style is very much as being in a large family, and of course everyone has different needs and likes. It's not for everyone to sit close to strangers in the morning, we totally understand that!

On behalf of all the staff at The Yard Hotel, we thank you for staying with us, and hope to welcome you back in the future.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 17 December 2013

I've been thinking of how to describe this property. It's NOT big box, hotel chain or a bed and breakfast. It's more like being invited to some rich person's country estate, but in the city, who is having a big huge party and you don't know anyone. It's great. You feel like you are visiting a family and there are lots of people to interact with and meet. We LOVED it.

The location is great for public transportation and loads of small local restaurants. Its away from the central part of the city in more of a neighborhood. The big night life area, the Navigli district, is just across the big street. The Duomo is a short tram ride in the opposite direction. We got here and away via subway and tram with frequent service.

The staff are super nice, very accommodating. My favourite is a lady who lives onsite. I swear she works 18 hours a day. She is wonderful but they all were.

Breakfast was excellent but pretty normal. It's set at a shared table but if you want to be alone they can do that too. We met nice people over breakfast.

This is a must stay option if you are going to Milan. Don't even look anymore.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PGA2
Alessandro C, Direttore generale at The Yard Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2013

Dear PGA2,

It was a pleasure to have you as our Guests! and we are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. What you say is exactly what we want to acieve! Make our Guests feel at home, part of our family!!
On behalf of all the staff, we thank you for your kind words and hope to welcome back soon.
Happy Holidays,

Reviewed 13 December 2013

This is a very unique place with lots of treasures hidden in every small corner of the lobby and themed rooms indeed ! Unusually decorated with multiple but very tasteful gadgets, books and other gizmos creating a sophisticated and well thought through entity.

It's nice relaxed atmosphere friendly and helpful staff have made our stay in Milan a remarkable event. I would like to recommend to anyone who enjoys their drink to check out the cocktails menu they have on offer, they were prepared in mind blowing fashion by very pro looking bartender....pleasure to watch not to even mention consuming. To top up our experience hotel was ideally situated beside main "navigli's" (I believe it means boardwalks beside river fronts) where many great food and night bars were placed. It's also convenient to Duomo, only probably 15 minute walk (if you don't visit with girlfriend) jam packed with all the little shops and boutiques all the way.

If you visit Milan either for leisure or business this is definitely place to be, and do not hesitate to ask at the reception for restaurant advice and bookings. Each place booked by the hotel was only getting better and better and we could just focus our energies on enjoying and relaxing in the city.

Many thanks and "I'll be back"

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Alessandro C, Direttore at The Yard Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2013

Dear Pawel,
We are very happy you enjoyed your stay at The Yard! And glad we were able to give you sadisfying tips for restaurants : )
We hope to always be able to keep our guests happy and, having your feedback really helps us understand better what is appreciated.
The Yard and The Doping Club staff thanks you for you kind words and wish you a very Merry Xmas.

Reviewed 12 December 2013

This is a VERY SPECIAL place. I cannot stress this enough! The work and special attention to detail would have a hard time escaping anyone's notice! Each room is themed, I checked out two rooms and loved them both (see my pictures!). Gorgeous Gorgeous. It's been nearly 2 months & I still think of my experience Fondly. I had to write a review.

I visit Milan for at least 1 month out of the year, 2 weeks after the Cannes Film Festival and 2 weeks after MIPCOM in Cannes. I come to Milan as a solo female traveler - I used to school in Italy & it's important for me not to forget the culture & language.

Hotel service and execution isn't as competitive in Milan as it is in Florence & Rome who rely on Tourism. You usually will always find something wrong with a hotel wether it be service, furnishings, price or location when it comes to Milan. Yard Suite proved me wrong! This is the first hotel that meets all the expectations for a global traveller like myself.

I had a terrible experience at Hotel Pierre thru a recommendation on Expedia (terrible service & location), then I stayed at Hotel Berna (due to the outrageously made up reviews and undeserved high ranking on TripAdvisor) and prior to that stay, 3 other hotels in Milan that were "so-so", overpriced or the location was too out of the way... I found this hotel on Hotel Tonight because I stayed one night at Hotel Berna and had to check out immediately even though I had 4 more days in Milan. Let me tell you, I was blown away by the service here - I was thoroughly impressed with the hotel overall. The place is meant to make people feel at home and also have a place where you can make friends. This lobby and the layout is what Soho House should be and probably the closest thing to a Soho House in all of Italy.

-Interior Decoration is cool, trendy, yet classy in an upscale way.
- Service was great. This is the ONLY hotel in Milan other than Four Seasons where someone immediately came up to me upon arrival and grabbed my suitcase without me having to ask.
- I was checked in and was given a full overview of the hotel.
- Sitting areas and a screening room for guests to feel at home.
- Comfortable beds in rooms
- Thick walls! This is hard to find in Milan!
- So Much Lighting. A real estate developer told me once, yo always know a good boutique hotel by how much lighting options they give you. Well. My room had about 20 different ways to light the room. They really thought of detail and really go above and beyond with building the rooms.
- Nespresso Machines & complimentary pods in room (If you are a coffee fanatic... this is a real treat)
- Location Location! The Yard is a perfectly situated in the "Soho" of Milan. Porta Ticinese. Amazing shopping, where all the locals go to eat in a trendy fashion and also a streetcar away from the Duomo! It's a great place to stroll for couples. I also liked how all the dining options in the area are meant for foodies, not for tourists (like near the Duomo or Centrale).
- Complimentary snacks and drinks in the lobby in the afternoon.
-Complimentary Breakfast here is THE BEST. And I have stayed in every 4/5 star hotel in this town. Believe me. I rate their breakfast extremely high because the quality of the cheeses, meats, rare fruit from Sicily, juice is legitimately freshly squeezed and so much more. Not only is quantity great here but so is the quality of breakfast.
- I don't know if it's a family or unrelated individuals who work at this hotel but they felt like a family and made you feel like one too.. I thought this was special.
- Air Conditioning and temperature control was great!
- Bathrooms are extremely well done! Modern. Robes & Slippers are given to each guest. I just love this place!
- I had a lot of work to get done & I really liked the desks in my room & in the lobby!
- I also like how the place also gives you a piece of history, decorated with a mixture of modern and antiques. Well done!
- The guests were extremely friendly. I think because Milan isn't very touristy, it's hard to navigate the city even as a couple or family. It's always a pity to see couples looking at maps at a hotel breakfast feeling secluded from everyone else; at The Yard, I noticed that the layout of the dining area, welcoming vibe & the ambience of "home" really made the guests open up to each other and I found that lacking at other hotels in Milan. And... it was nice to see.

In short, I am extremely pleased I ended up staying the rest of my duration at The Yard Suite & Dependance! I almost felt like I was getting such a good deal for the nightly rate because I was getting more in return & I guess I just had such bad experiences and this made up for all of it! I also really liked the Macrobiotic - Vegan restaurant next-door! It reminded me of Neal's Yard or M Cafe and I ate there twice in a row. I also wanted to emphasize... it is extremely difficult to navigate a good hotel in Milan, all the expectations a person would have in any other city are rarely met. Yard Suite & Dependance has proved me wrong!

I will always stay here now and have already recommended this place to my PR friends who are always looking for the best places to book their celebrity clients. It will not disappoint you!

Photos: I wish I took more photos of lobby, bar and dining area because the place is gorgeous. However, the photos on their website sum it up!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank Trotsee
Alessandro C, Direttore generale at The Yard Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2013

Dear Trotsee.
First of all thank you so much for taking time for writing such a detailed review!
And we are honoured and humbled by your kind words.

What we want to give our guest is exactly what you describe. To make them feel at home, a part of our family and friends.
The passion for even the smallest detail is because we treat this hotel as if it was our own home, and that our guests are happy and comfortabe is everything to us.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope to welcome you back some day soon.
The kindest regards from all of us at The Yard hotel.

Reviewed 10 December 2013 via mobile

One of the best place I've visited in my life. Cozy vibe and super cool atmosphere. Great breakfast, lovely hospitality and amazing details. Special thanks to Lisa, Rose and Max (super nice guy from the night shift) Room was very comfortable and clean, big bathroom, lovely terrace that was part of my room. And the LOBBY!!! Just amazing. The unique atmosphere and best bartender Maximo. My "doping" drink was a pice of art. If you come to Milano THE YARD is a place to stay!!!!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank RobertoExl

Dear Roberto.

We are happy you had a great stay at THe Yard Hotel. It's very helpful to have our guests feedback so we know what made you most content, so we can continue to get better and make you even happier.
We hope to welcome you back someday in the future.
Kind reagard and since we are close....Merry Xmas.

Reviewed 7 December 2013

I had a very pleasant stay at the Yard while in Milano for a business trip. The rooms were huge by European standards and I loved the decor. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. The room was so quiet I could not believe I was staying right at Porta Ticinese which is a very bustling part of the city. Excellent restaurants can be find all over near the hotel and the Duomo is a short tram ride away although I walked most nights. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Matt L
Alessandro C, Direttore at The Yard Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Gentile Matt L,

it is a pleasure to have you stay with us during your business trip, and to know that you felt comfortable with the room and enjoyed the area. Thank you so much for your valuable feedback on our service delivery of our staff. We will certainly improve the quality & efficiency of our service toward our valuable guests such as yourself. Thank you once again for your valuable feedback, and we do hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you better in the future.

Gina Fernando
Sales & Marketing Director

Reviewed 4 December 2013

I booked the hotel for 3nights but needed to check out 1 day earlier. When I informed a day before the owner Alexandro said he could not change my reservation because I had booked through Venere.com. which was all lie. When I checked Venere.com policy they mentioned they could not modify the reservation after the check in, only the hotel herself could change for free of charge. He insisted to pay for whole 3 nights since he could not re-sale for the next day. But the hotel was not fully booked anyway! He promised for the 1 night refund if I could prove that Verene's policy but he had not refund yet.
Also, he asked me to have a breakfast at the room as there would be investigation from official.
I doubt some of their operation is not met the regulation.
They did not change the bath towels nor the sheets for the second day either even thought they charge over 200Euro per night!
It was a nightmare and my Milan trip has been destroyed by this hotel owner!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Alessandro C, Direttore generale at The Yard Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Dear Yurik0

We are firm belivers in the value of hard work, and we have an enormous respect for our guests. Everyday we do our very best to make sure that our guests have their every need met.
Unfortunately, witnessing your behavior during the request of cancellation, only the night before wanting to leave early, we are not surprised by your judgment of our Hotel.

The reality of the situation is actually quite the opposite of what you say.
Having just recently enlarged our structure, there are certain controls requested by Law, that we have no power of choosing hour or date. This is to ensure the safety of your guests, that is something we have always done and will always do.
The control in question was by the Firemen, and we chose to have our guests enjoy their breakfast in the privacy of their room, to avoid disturbance buy the control or complicate the important work that the firemen do for the safety of us all.
We are sorry, that the ‘in room’ service was not to your liking, since everyone else seemed content.

As for the cancellation of your last night, it is necessary to say that this was only communicated to us the night before, and my first answer was that we would have verified immediately with Venere’s policy of cancellation, because being a small structure makes it a bit complicated with last minute cancellations on the various research sites, they often wary.
If you could see the situation from our point of view, you’d understand that having only around 20 rooms, if a few rooms all would ask for the last minute cancellation, for us it would be impossible to work, therefore our cancellation policy.
Without that a lot of guests could book a longer stay and then just cancel once checked in, and yes! That would give us huge problems.

Your threat of writing us a bad review was very clear in you threatening mail, to reimburse you or you would write a bad review. A shame, since we did as promised and checked with Venere, and they confirmed that they could not cancel. So that would mean, not having you pay, we would have to pay the commission for something we did not earn, to be able to please your needs.
So one would think you’d understand our situation, and we would have been more than happy to give you a special rate for a future stay with us.
I repeat, since the booking was not made directly with us but through Venere, the cancellation request should have been made directly to Venere.
And what do you know… they do NOT give you the possibility to cancel a checked in stay at any hotel!!!

As for the change of towels and sheets, we keep to the regulation of all international 4 or even better 5 star hotels, ( if you place the towel on the floor, we do change it! If not it means you are reusing it and respecting the nature, by not overusing water! )
Of course, all you had to do was to tell us you like your sheets and towels changed every day!
The good thing about being a small hotel is that we can dedicate more time to the various requests of our guests, and make it more personalized. All you need to do is ask.

Of course we are sorry about this situation, and Do invite you to come back and stay with us, since in your “ threats” in the mail also said that if we’d reimburse you, you said you’d write a wonderful review!
This will only teach us more and we will grow and get better on how to handle certain situations.

To finish, you write that “ you had a nightmare trip in Milan “ putting a lot of importance to Tripadvisor review, we find it quit clear that the complaints of sheets and towels is your way of revenge for not having you wish granted.

Your review of our hotel will for sure do us some harm, but this will only make us work harder and even more passionate, in the hope of always welcoming guests at our hotel, even though sometimes rightfully critic, but never as harsh as you madam.

Best regards,