“Not a 4 STAR”
Review of Grand Hotel Duomo

Grand Hotel Duomo
Ranked #320 of 428 Hotels in Milan
Reviewed 18 August 2008

This hotel is dated and definitely NOT 4 Star. We checked in & were rudely issued with a room key & also ill advised of parking (we were told that where we had the car parked was incorrect, but there were others parked all around us, so we asked in a nearby shop & were told it was fine). We got to the room and the cleaning had not been done (usually if a room is not ready, you put your bags in reception & come back later). Really old & dated furnishing & not at all like website. The only upside was it's closeness to Leaning Tower. However there are other hotels on Via Santa Maria and Lonely Planet recommends Hotel Francessca - we should have booked into this hotel. Breakfast was also poor the following morning. Overall, we were happy to be there for one night only - very disapponting.
Ireland

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank Ireland1308

Reviewed 19 April 2007

I used to visit the Duomo with my family during the 80s and I could fondly remember, as a child, the hotel, the service, the view... the works... So during a weekend shopping trip( usually take that twice a year), from nearby Athens, my friends and i decided to spend the litle extra and stay in an old Milan favorite... Or so we thought....

FOR 440 EUROS A NIGHT, my room overlooked a dark alley.... Since, I am a good tipper but an even better complainer we managed to transfer three times, to finally find a room that was not moulded in places (etc the minibar! ceiling!) and had a view of the Duomo.

Our friends on the other hand did not....

At this point i have to admit that the beds were quite comfortable, and the bathroom was rather pleasant.

I do have to say though that the breakfast experience was rather horrendous and that is because they could not make my breakfast (charged at 50 euros) the way i enjoy it, (that is eggs benedict.... how difficult is for a 5 star lux hotel to make eggs benedict, AND CHARGE IT EXTRA NO PROBLEM, and only offer stale scrambled instead as an only choice) but most of all that they could not offer a smoking section in the whole breakfast room or lobby.... I understand that smoking is bad for you, that i may be killing people over breakfast blah blah blah but still it is my habit and since it is not yet illegal, (well was not at the time in Milan) i should be accomodated for every need i may have or at least be warned at the time of booking... How difficult is it to awnser truthfully to the simple question, " Is it a smoking hotel?"

I do understand that this complaint might seem out of this world for some, but i think that any hotel that carries the luxury sign must provide for its customer's needs or wants in all the possible ways.

Anyway, the Duomo has been a rather dissapointing experience and for this price tag (or maybe a bit more) one can stay at more pleasant hotels not filled with "circus type" tourists and staff that can be accomodating only if tipped above 30 euros each.

• Stayed: June 2005, travelled with friends
2  Thank sylvaki
Reviewed 20 March 2007

I don't need to say anything. Just look at the photos I post in the Traveller's Photos section.
They say it's a 5 star LUX---NOT!!!!
The moment the cab stopped outside I knew we were in trouble. The "welcoming" carpet was so worn that the "stars" were almost falling off.
I saw 5 rooms including 118, 311, 308 and 418 before settling for 418--because the rest of the rooms had carpet so worn that I couldnot tell it's original color!! With a 2 year old in tow, I couldn't accept that.
Anyway, we had no airconditioning--thank goodness we went in March cos the ventilation was provided by a window that dows not close.
AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE!! The beds in the rooms all had obvious dents in the middle.
The icing--I booked the a Junior Suite + 1 extra bed for EUR 440. They chaged me EUR 600 for an "apartement." I refused to sign the bill and I will be contesting the charge on my credit card.
BE FOREWARNED!

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank bonbuben
Reviewed 21 December 2006

The location is great but internally it really needs some attention. Old and mouldy rooms and the tired decor just made me want to escape asap.

Stayed: June 2006
8  Thank Globe24/7
Reviewed 3 September 2006

I stayed at the Grand Duomo for a trade show. I didn't expect it to be fabulous but I was left speechless at the ugliness of my room and thelack of interest they showed in accomodating their guests. This is not a 5 Star hotel, I would give it 3 stars at most. The hotel is old, but doesn't have any of that real old-charme atmosphere. My room was tiny and spare with a window that couldn't be opened due to pigeons on the windowsills- there was a nest right across about 4 feet away.
I am sorry to say there was only one good thing about the hotel: the location. It is right across Milans fab department store The Rinascente.
Breakfast did look clean if basic.
I don't know if they have some hidden nicer rooms at the hotel but in our group of 8 everyone had a terrible room and this was a first for us seasoned business travellers.
Reception was typically Milan-Style ( unless you count super-duper places like Grey, Park Hyatt or Bulgari): they seem really irritated by questions of any kind and are reluctant to help out with anything unless you tip well. If you tip big, then you might receive adequate service.
There were Russian and Italian tourists with loads of designer shopping bags in the old elevators which amazed us. Why stay here when you can reside in style at The Grey across the street if you are the designer type?
You could easily tell who tipped the concierge and the bellmen big time as those were the ones who would get taxis before we did, even though we had been waiting longer. This happened 5 nights in a row, several times a night!
We paid a corporate rate of €250 a night and I can only say this was money down the drain.
Don't waste your money on this.

• Stayed: September 2005, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8  Thank jinxjordan
A TripAdvisor Member
London
Reviewed 27 June 2006

The location of this hotel is superb, but as I was here on business, that was not my main priority. For me, a good night's sleep would have sufficed.

With night temperatures at around 23 degrees C and my aircondtioning non-existent, I was already off to a bad start. Then the noises reminiscent of contruction work which carried on outside until at least 1:30am did not add to the comfort of this stay.

The room I had was dismal and the foyer in this hotel reminded me more of a school assembly hall or community centre.

Funnily enough, I wasn't even asked if my stay had been a good one - the first time that has happened to me for a long time. I would never stay here again. I can only recommend it if you want to be within stumbling distance of the Duomo.

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled on business
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 4 February 2006

Whoever gave this hotel 5 stars must have checked out the 4th floor rooms in about 1980. Apparently that was when they were last refurbished. Rampant mold in the shower, stains on the walls, worn out and stained carpet, peeling wallpaper, broken tiles, and a heating unit falling off the wall... all for a mere 280 Euros per night.Stayed 4 nights with a business group, and all had the same story. The location is ideal. The front-desk staff are professional and helpful, and the public rooms are of high standard in design and decor. The squalor of our guest rooms is unfathomable! The website and brochure show completely different rooms, which presumably exist..but not on the 4th floor.

• Stayed: January 2006, travelled on business