“Good Value, A Bit Overrated”
Review of Hotel Berna

Hotel Berna
Ranked #13 of 428 Hotels in Milan
Indianapolis
“Good Value, A Bit Overrated”
Reviewed 2 July 2011

This is one of those situations where it's difficult to understand the super-high ratings. The Berna Swiss deserves better than average marks, to be sure, but be cautioned that the ratings may set too high of an expectation.

My experience was okay, but not great. The room rate was good and there were a number of “extras” that you normally don’t see. The hotel is actually two buildings: the main one and one directly across the street, which they call the “towers” rooms because they are supposed to be better. I would say that my colleagues’ rooms in the main building were actually better.

Most rooms include a buffet breakfast, a great value. This was a main reason I booked this hotel, since most hotel breakfasts are unaffordable. Unfortunately for me, there was some sort of mixup and my room did not include breakfast, which was very annoying considering my colleagues and I had booked the same rooms at the same time and they did have breakfast. Somehow I ended up across the street in the “better” rooms, but without breakfast. When I mentioned the mixup to the front desk staff, he made the assumption that I booked through hotel.com or priceline or something. Not sure who was at fault on this, but make sure you confirm the type of room you have because it may not include breakfast. I did have the buffet one morning, by the way, and it was mediocre.

The Good:

* Free wireless internet, which worked most of the time
* Complimentary coffee in the lobby
* Complimentary minibar (Coke, bottled water, some cookies)
* Clean room, no odor
* Great air conditioning
* Quiet. No hallway noise.
* 5 minute walk from Central Station
* Located in a nice area - Comfortable bed
* Computers in lobby
* In-room safe
* A bellman named Joan (pronounced John), who made up for the front desk guy

The Not Good:

* Tiny room, almost claustrophobic
* Very uncomfortable shower (see photo)
* Safety issues -- No peephole in door, no safety latch for door, and no fire escape that I saw.
* No clock in room
* No washcloths (I don’t care, but you might)
* No ironing board
* Lousy view
* Sullen front desk person, who neither smiled nor spoke unless necessary
* Complex procedure to get into room – there are a number of tasks you are required to complete in order to get in to the building (the one across the street). In fact, I can’t even remember them all as I write this.

Hope this helps.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank HonkHonk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (718)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Monmouth Beach, New Jersey
Reviewed 1 July 2011

Great hotel. Clean and nice. Helpful staff directed us to sites & restaurants that we requested.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
anndcfc
Reviewed 1 July 2011

I enjoyed my stay at Hotel Berna. It is near to the Central train station and the metro, also the city sightseeing bus stops nearby, so it is a very handy base for getting around Milan. The staff were friendly and the breakfast was really nice. Lots of choice and made to feel welcome by the staff. Staff behind reception were also helpful and gave advice for directions etc. Biscuit treats in the room were a nice touch and I was shown a basket full of little snack bars when checking out and was offered to pick one to take with me on my journey home. So for me just about all positive comments, only a couple of small negatives. Yes, the two lifts are very small but were not really a problem for me, a family of 4 with lots of cases might be different story though! Also the room was a little dated furniture wise, but still clean and cared for! So nothing too much to gripe about and I would definitely stay there again if ever I visit Milan again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank anndcfc
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 30 June 2011

Hotel Berna is a lovely hotel situated within walking distance from the train station. The room was very nice and the breakfast was wonderful. But what really sets this hotel apart is the level of service we received from every single employee, from the front desk to the wait staff at breakfast. Definitely the best customer service during our 11-day trip to Italy.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
los angeles
Reviewed 29 June 2011

We picked Hotel Berna for proximity to Milano Centrale and Tripadvisor reviews. We arrived in Milan in the early morning from JFK and took the convenient shuttle right to the train station. It was a short and easy walk to the hotel.

We were exhausted and asked if early check-in was possible. The clerk invited us to relax in the lounge and help ourselves to biscuits, water, coffee, or tea while he attempted to get us into a room. It took about an hour but he did it and even upgraded us to a better room.

We went to sleep on a very comfortable mattress for a few hours and woke up ready to go. Although we'd been in Milan before, it was only to change trains at Milano Centrale. We easily walked from the hotel to the Duomo and the Victor Emmanuel galleria. We were scheduled to depart the next morning for Venice and found the hotel so comfortable and so centrally located that we wished we had scheduled at least one more day for Milan.

Breakfast was very good. The room was very comfortable. All was perfect for two very jet lagged travelers. Wireless was free in the public areas. Additionally, the staff was very helpful (and funny as well),

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed 29 June 2011

Our stay at the Hotel Berna was wonderful. The hotel staff was very helpful with suggestions for restaurants, directions, loaning an umbrella, etc. and everyone speaks English. The breakfast buffet was the best we had in our month in Italy and the 'happy hour' appetizers in the bar were great. The room was very nice and had the most comfortable beds we had the entire trip---that's an important point since most of the beds were very hard in the other hotels. The location is great---two metro stops just a block away, as well as good restaurants. Try Limone (one of the hotel's recommendations). It was wonderful. We will definitely go back to Hotel Berna.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Northern California
Reviewed 29 June 2011

A very well-run, clean hotel which is located near the Central station as well as some excellent restaurants and the Metro. We would certainly recommend it to any traveler visiting Milan.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple