“Great Hotel”
Review of Hotel Berna

Hotel Berna
Ranked #11 of 428 Hotels in Milan
Reviewed 8 November 2011

We stayed at Hotel Berna for 1 night and in many ways it was one of the best hotels during our 10 day trip. Super comfortable bed, free drinks & snacks in room fridge came in very handy. Were able to check-in 2 hours early. Wonderful breakfast - so much to choose from. Easy access to the train station & Metro. Room was small but workable - and very quiet facing the courtyard versus the street. But don't go to the little shop next to the 'new' section of Hotel Berna to eat. They charged 3 euros extra for cream in the coffee and their prices for coffee, tea and gelato were ridiculous.

Room Tip: Room on 6th floor in new building was very quiet. Choosing the extra comfy bedding made it like sle...

Reviewed 7 November 2011

This hotel was recommended by Trip Advisor, but I researched it thoroughly before making a booking. The choices they gave beforehand as to what type of pillows we preferred, high floor, low floor, etc., were above and beyond what one could expect from a hotel. Then about a week before our stay, they sent an email to say they were looking forward to our visit.

Most of the reviews cover the hotel so I wont repeat. However, the breakfast was superb and I would say the best we have had anywhere. The choices were better than I have had in a 5 star hotel buffet and to top it off, the coffee was excellent. Never have I seen Toblerone (Swiss chocolate) on a breakfast buffet but it disappeared very quickly and was replaced with more.

Hotel Berna also recommended a restaurant a short distance away called Ristorante di mare. I think there may be a connection to the hotel but we ate there both evenings as the food was very good.

Reviewed 7 November 2011

I stayed at the Hotel Berna for 4 nights at the beginning of October as a solo traveller. I arrived in Milan by train and was pleased to find the hotel easy to locate and a 2 minute walk away. I was very early for check-in but they had my room ready anyway - I had ordered the fruit basket for my room and they told me that would be in my room later. When I came back later that day the fruit was in my room and was definitely worth the price - lasted me the entire trip!

The room was small but nicely decorated and very comfortable. The bed was great. There was room for a desk and chair and the complimentary wi-fi was a definite plus. Bathroom was clean and spacious and the toiletries were good. There is a free mini-bar and you can select what drinks you want in it before you arrive. Mine was restocked each day replacing what I had used.

I never had any problems with noise and it had the added bonus of being completely smoke-free (amazing in Italy!!). I found the staff friendly and helpful. Breakfast was the usual continental fayre and there was plenty of it - you could certainly eat for the rest of the day there!!

The location was fine and I felt safe in the area even at night. It was a 10-15 minute walk into the centre of Milan (and the Duomo) through the park, which was very pleasant. Alternatively you could take the metro.

Milan was an interesting city although not a great deal to do - I was glad of the train station, which took me to Verona one day (1hr30 from Milan) and Venice another (2hr30 from Milan).

If I come back to Milan I would definitely stay here again - best hotel by far!

Room Tip: All seem to be pretty good
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank loxias27
Reviewed 7 November 2011

We stayed overnight in the Hotel Berna just recently. We mainly chose the Hotel for its location to the Statione Centrale. Travelling with 2 small children it was ideal. The Hotel Staff were very curteous, friendly and welcoming. The breakfast was fabulous, huge variety. Room wa compact but extremely clean and comfortable. Children were given lovely pressie on departure, lovely personal touch. First impressions would be that the Hotel catered more for business but after stay would say they are very family friendly also. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 November 2011

We only had one night in Milan, and arrived by train. The hotel is just a very short walk from the train station and nearest subway stop. The neighbourhood was nice. The hotel itself was very nice, the room comfortable and reasonably priced. They had free afternoon tea and 30 minutes of free internet access on the computers in the lobby. Breakfast was very, very nice. The staff were attentive, efficient and very nice. It was only a few subway stops to the Duomo from here, maybe 15 minutes in travel time. Would recommend it to anyone, especially if you are traveling by train.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 November 2011

Just stayed one night but it was perfect. Free wireless and free soft drinks from the mini bar! Very close to the train station yet quiet. Very friendly staff and a good selection for breakfast. Totally smoke free so it will appeal to non smokers. Recommended.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 November 2011

the hotel is very close to the main railway and some very nice places to eat. the staff all speak English and nothing is too much trouble.We stayed twice and would do it again.

Room Tip: ake for a room across the road, new and bigger.